Here she is...................35 Whelen in the 7600 Pump

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
Finally set her up. 2x7 Nikon scope with BDC. I installed the swivels for sling carry and lastly I changed the sear spring with a lighter spring and honed trigger to a 2.75 lbs pull.

I loaded 200 grain AccuBond with H4895 and the 200 gr TSX with RL15. Both the most accurate in the nosler barnes manuals. We will see.... only 35 caliber bullets I had on hand.

BTW 15gr of Unique with 125 XTP is awesome grouse coyote and varmint load!

Very nice Fotis. Are we both going to hunt elk with a Whelen this year? Waiting to here how it shoots for you.
Me thinks your going to need a good recoil pad on that Amish Machine gun. That factory plastic butt plate is going to hurt.

Very handsome, Fotis. That'll do in the thick timber (or even in the mountain meadows, if need be).

Thank you Doc. I figure a 200 AB at close to 2850 fps will be flat enough for most scenarios.

FOTIS":1pnmsskc said:
YUP! If we draw!!!
Now let's think positive about this and say we will draw. (y)
I haven't really pushed my 35 AI and can get over 2900fps and Nosler says you can do 2900fps with the 200AB with IMR8208XBR in 35 Whelen. (y)

Rodger, 2800 fps and sub MOA and I will be happy!

Nice rifle Fotis.
I had a Model 6 for a while. Surprisingly accurate.
Cool rifles and in the Whelen, a handy thumper.

Bravo Fotis.
Looks great. Looking forward to your range report.

JD338

What truck driver said times 2. I owned one of those in the late 70's chambered in 30-06, first rifle I ever bought, only rifle I ever sold. Mine was a 760 gamemaster, stocked different than what u have there, (no cheek pc) it was very lite in the front, kicked like a mule up and back, by the time I finished sighting it in that plastic butt plate had me bleeding, :mrgreen: have fun !!

Fotis 2800fps with that kind of energy should do you very well :wink:.
I can't wait until you post your range report with a few photos (y).
A good working man's rifle!!

Blessings,
Dan

My 7600-35 Whelen is sitting bare of shights, robbed its VX3 1.5-5 to put on my 700-358 Win. When I get taxes back I think a VX3 2.5-8 is what I will buy. To put on my 270 Win and its VX2 2-7 will work nicely for the Whelen.

Let me know if you find a prefit pacmar, thats what I would like on mine.

Your rifle looks great!

You will definitely like the limbsaver pad on that 7600. I didn't shoot my 30-06 long before I put an uncle Mike's on there (pre-limbsaver tech). Mine was accurate, but it had a bad trigger and I don't really know if there's an upgraded trigger group for it. I made the mistake of buying the 18.5" carbine version. Man, it was a noisy flame thrower at the range. I gave it to my nephew last year and he got a nice 10 pointer with it. Not a thing wrong with that 7600, I just prefer my bolt guns more, but couldn't sell it and see it go outside the family. Enjoy it.

A limbsaver came on my TC muzzle loader and it melts carpet, other plastic and sticks to card stock I put under it to keep it from melting the safes carpet.
The recoil pad is now sticky and gooy. I have a pacmar on a medalist stock and love it. How ever its on a rem 700 in 223 so its not needed for recoil.

That's a great rifle. Hope I have some spare pocket change around when you decide to launch it! Been looking for a clean one for awhile. I figure if I get really antsy I can send a 30-06 off to JES though.

FOTIS":83515cqa said:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Limbsaver-Precision-Fit-Recoil-Pad-Black-10101-Remington-700-710-7600-870-1100-/301579634477?hash=item46378c072d:g:M34AAOxyhodRv8vx
I have the new Limbsaver air cell on the 35AI and it does a good job but didn't take to shaping very well since the material it's made from doesn't take to being ground down and looks nappy. I do have 2 of them but I'm not sure I would buy a third. The stock I got from Boyd's I ordered with a Pachmyer Decelerator for the 7RM. Not sure the 7RM even needs a recoil pad because the Pachmyer made it feel like my 257 Roberts.
I would pick the Pachmyer because I think the material it's made of would be easier to work with and look better when done.

I put a Limbsaver on my .35 7600 and it made it much nicer to shoot. I don't think you'll regret it.
Ron

I bought one last night. Will install tonight

Back