hesitent to retry

tjen

Handloader
Apr 25, 2007
I have loaded the 22hornet with AA-1680 with good resualts.

I then loaded some Lilgun using 11.0 grs and 45gr speer (.224) bullets with my rem brass and fed 205 primers. My three manuals show win brass and differing min/max charges. I thought I was modest but 3000fps was the chornyed velocity. 3100fps for the same setup with 40gr blitzkings that seat deeper. no sticky bolt or case an only slightly cratering if any its a CZ527 that real hammers the primer deep with factory ammo too.

I called Hodgon and they say 12.0 is there starting load! 12.0 is max or very close in my other manuals.

Does anyone use rem brass and lilgun for their hornet? I choose rem because it holds more powder. Was this under loaded? You can see why I am hesitent to add 1-2grs more powder.

That load was 11.0grs Lilgun, fed 205, rem brass, 45gr speer hornet (224). And at 1.740" oal which gave me .020 off the lands.

tjen":30nigf9g said:
I have loaded the 22hornet with AA-1680 with good results.

I then loaded some Lilgun using 11.0 grs and 45gr speer (.224) bullets with my rem brass and fed 205 primers. My three manuals show win brass and differing min/max charges. I thought I was modest but 3000fps was the chornyed velocity. 3100fps for the same setup with 40gr blitzkings that seat deeper. no sticky bolt or case an only slightly cratering if any its a CZ527 that real hammers the primer deep with factory ammo too.

I called Hogdgon and they say 12.0 is there starting load! 12.0 is max or very close in my other manuals.

Does anyone use rem brass and lilgun for their hornet? I choose rem because it holds more powder. Was this under loaded? You can see why I am hesitant to add 1-2grs more powder.

That load was 11.0grs Lilgun, fed 205, rem brass, 45gr speer hornet (224). And at 1.740" oal which gave me .020 off the lands.

My loads with Lilgun drove the 40 grain BT's at 3100 fps

I don't load the Hornet but I do load the Fireball. I have used LilGun with good success but it is not a forgiving powder. For what you are doing don't make 1 grain step increments, 0.2 grain increments would be a lot better. Just make up batches of 3-5 rounds at a time and try them. Look for pressure signs and/or decreasing accuracy. If either happens back off to the previous load. If you hit a high pressure point you won't have but a couple to pull.

Thanks

I did load my work up loads at 0.2gr incraments its just my starting load of 11.0grs for each bullet wieght producted more velocity than I though possible. after talking with Hodgen they said 12.0 is their starting load and don't go lower. So did the rem case cause a low dencity condition and higher velocity than say 12.2 grs would???

POP can you state your load with lilgun and case make I am trying to gage what happened since my Nosler, Hornady, Speer manuals put me where I started.

I may just try H110 and after shooting up some other bullets the 40gr B-Tip should work just fine for single accacy loads and the green boxed 40gr spitzer for ammo to fit the 1.723 OAL for rounds to fit the magizne.

H110 is every bit, if not more, sensitive to minor variations in charge weight resulting in large variations in pressure.

Back