Hey Nosler

.260 Handgun

Beginner
Jan 9, 2006
Where are you guys at on production of the 6.5mm AccuBonds? Have you at least decided on a weight? (100-120gn I hope).

I called Nosler in early June to ask about the 6.5 AB. "It will be late summer August/September before it is released and it will be 130grs." I was dreaming of a 120 also, but the guy I talked to said it would be hands down a 130.

HeathSexton":2u26b7a5 said:
I called Nosler in early June to ask about the 6.5 AB. "It will be late summer August/September before it is released and it will be 130grs." I was dreaming of a 120 also, but the guy I talked to said it would be hands down a 130.

130 just doesn't cut it for me :evil:

I need a lighter bullet, ideally a 110-115 grs.
Does anyone know whether there is a good bullet within this range? :grin:
I am now using 120 BT, which does not seem too bad, although I am thinking to switch to RWS 107 grs. KS, if AccuBond will be that bullet weight.
This would be the first time for me leaving NOSLER at home...
I have already bragged a few times about US Manufacturers NOT CONSIDERING 6,5 (.264) mm. calibers as a GOOD seller, and I am banging my head to try to understand why ???? EXCUSE ME!

Oh well.
THEY are free to choose.
So am I.

Cheers
:mrgreen:

Another vote for the 110g - 115g AccuBond. Would be perfect in the 260!!!

Everyone has the heavy weight bullets covered in 26cal. A tough bullet in this weight range doesn't exist.......somebody step in and fill this void!!!

sounds to me, the 6.5 AccuBond in 130gr is a near perfect ballance. any longer than a 130gr and the 260 would suffer in perfomance/accuracy. in the 6.5x55 pushed at 2700fps it will be a great combo. at 2950fps in the 260 estimated, it will be a serious long range deer bullet. i can not imagine a need for a lighter AccuBond. the 120gr balistic tip is near perfect, the 100gr is a great varmit bullit, and the 125gr Partition fills all other needs. just thinking here but a 154gr round nosed bonded with i plastic tip, would be interesting

baltz526":2djdtffc said:
sounds to me, the 6.5 AccuBond in 130gr is a near perfect ballance. ....... at 2950fps in the 260 estimated, it will be a serious long range deer bullet. ......... the 100gr is a great varmit bullit, .......

Sounds good.......EXCEPT......

You can't get 2,950 fps from a 130g bullet from a 260 Rem.

The 100g BT is not a varmint bullet....it's a big game bullet, ie., for use on antelope and deer.

Does this change your thinking that it is the "near perfect balance"? The 130g AccuBond will be neat in the 264 Win Mag or 6.5 Rem Mag. If you can only only push the 130g AccuBond to 2,850 fps (some MIGHT get 2,900), do you really need a bonded bullet? I've never experienced a bullet failure with a 129g Hornady Interlock at those velocities. Over 3,000 fps the AccuBond would be a nice option.

[/quote]Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:40 pm Post subject: Re: bullet length

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

baltz526 wrote:
sounds to me, the 6.5 AccuBond in 130gr is a near perfect ballance. ....... at 2950fps in the 260 estimated, it will be a serious long range deer bullet. ......... the 100gr is a great varmit bullit, .......

Sounds good.......EXCEPT......

You can't get 2,950 fps from a 130g bullet from a 260 Rem.

The 100g BT is not a varmint bullet....it's a big game bullet, ie., for use on antelope and deer.

Does this change your thinking that it is the "near perfect balance"? The 130g AccuBond will be neat in the 264 Win Mag or 6.5 Rem Mag. If you can only only push the 130g AccuBond to 2,850 fps (some MIGHT get 2,900) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- NO IT DOSN'T CHANGE MY MIND------------------------------i am not a 260 guru or big fan of the 260, with a pile of them in my safe but -------
nosler number 5 page 187, 260 remigton data. 125gr nosler Partition using vitht n560, lists a load at 100% case capacity with a muzzle velocity of 3034fps. other powders listed that will get you close to 2950fps rl19 h414, w760, 4350, ------------------------------------------and with the 100gr ballistic tip being a varmit bullet. that is all i would use it for. the 120gr bal tip is what i use for deer in my 6.5x55 and if i was going to build a 264 caliber rifle, it would be around the 120gr/130gr bullet weights

Just wondering, Nosler... How did you decide on the 130g weight? Was it something that's easy for you to produce for some reason?

Jaywalker

Jaywalker":11z2dn3q said:
Just wondering, Nosler... How did you decide on the 130g weight? Was it something that's easy for you to produce for some reason?

Jaywalker

I am not employed by Nosler, but historically, they have always introduced the first AccuBond in the heaviest weight that can be reliably stabilized in factory twist barrels. i.e. the 180 gr in .30 cal, the 160 gr in 7mm, the 140 gr in the .270, and the 110 gr in .25 cal. The logic being to produce the most likely needed bullet to tackle the biggest game appropriate for the caliber being manufactured. Makes good sense. The 140 gr in 6.5 might have been too long to reliably stabilize. Also, taking dead aim at the 129 gr Hornady is probably a good idea, marketing wise. Some people don't believe any cup and core bullet to be reliable (conveniently discounting all game taken prior to John Nosler inventing the Partition, the first widely available premium bullet), but certainly, many of us will welcome a bonded core bullet for our 6.5 rifles. I know I am looking forward to its' introduction and will test it at length as soon as it is available.

120s and 140s shoot great in my 6.5x55, so I am sure the 130AB will shoot great. With RL 22, you can get 2700FPS from a 140 gr bullet in the 6.5x55. A 130 bonded bullet anywhere in that range of 2700-3000 in a 6.5 or 260 will be a devastating load for any deer and many in Europe would say for elk sized animals. I will reserve it for deer and antelope and maybe a hog or two.

Now that said, where are my 130ABs Nosler?

Good shooting,
Brian

Now that said, where are my 130ABs Nosler?

Good question. I may just have to stop by the factory and ask them in person, since I am Bend bound this Sunday for a few days of vacation with my wife and two younger sons. Of course, I will have to hit the Shooters Pro Shop too, and stock up on a few "seconds". Hopefully they will talk to me. If they don't I will visit an old friend who happens to sit on their board. Answers will be had!

Well, I talked to Adam at Shooters Pro Shop at Nosler on Monday and asked him about the 6.5 mm Accubonds and when they might be available. He said they should be shipping them to distributors soon, since they had just sent the first 5000 bullets over to Nosler Custom Ammunition. I assume they are to be loaded in the 6.5 Remington Magnum, the .264 Winchester Magnum and the 6.5x284 Norma they are currently offering. Hopefully, within a month or so, we will start seeing them offered at Midway (and hopefully seconds at Shooter's Pro Shop online). At least that is what Adam at Shooter's Pro Shop told me. Since the main office is next door, and the factory is across the parking lot, I assume he has some idea of what is up and coming.

Okay, guys, where are those new 6.5 Accubonds? We are running out of time to get loads worked up for this season, and I really would prefer not to use the Hornady 129 gr Spire Points...At least let us know when they will be available!

Back