High Country Scouting

Powerstroke

Handloader
Feb 24, 2006
So many know the archery world has taken over my family the last few years. A lot can happen in that amount of time I've come to realize tonight, and almost afraid to admit this. I probably haven't fired 50 rounds total in the last three years. To make matters worse, I wasn't really happy with the Dillon press that I used to use, so sold it to a friend that was really getting into hand-guns & he loves it.
This gave me the opportunity to get my Dad's old rock chucker back out that I liked. Well........ I had my Dad's benched restored / upgraded & mounted the press back on his bench. It's now 250 miles away from me. This really hasn't been an issue the last few years until tonight & it really hit home.

I drew my high country archery deer tag this year, and headed up tomorrow for a few days of packing in and scouting. I've been on quite the mission the last year to really lighten my pack up ( yes I'm getting old ) I'll be taking a new pack this trip & figured I'd throw a rifle on & try to call a yote or two..............here's where it hit home. The only rifle I have enough rounds for is my .300RUM & I'm not going to pack it to 12,000 feet tomorrow. The .280 Mtn Rifle & .270wsm I can count on one hand how many rounds between them & neither have a scope on them at the moment. Generally this would be a quick hit the press and crank a few rounds out scenario - ugh!!!

Better make a new press priority. I do miss pulling the trigger from time to time. None the less, can't wait to get to the high country tomorrow & find me a 180 muley for late next month.

Miss chatting with you folks -

'Course we miss hearing from you; so, we're glad you're posting again. Archery can get into your blood, but one should never surrender the press. Trust you get that worked out soon.

I went threw the archery phase just to see if I could do it and also it gave me more excuses to be in the woods scouting for gun season. I had every buck named and knew them personally by the time rifle season rolled around. I had them so use to seeing me they would just ignore me when they would see me. :lol:

I can't speak for the 270 WSM, but take that 140 gr. AccuBond or Partition and IMR4350 or H4831SC in your .280 Remington would make a nice recipe. Top it with a slim 6x36 Leupold and you would have a really nice set-up for those high country mule deer!

Here in OH 99% of the deer hunting I do is with a bow because archery season is so long here, and I take a few days for our muzzleloader seasons too. When I hunt in another state where rifles are permitted I usually take full advantage of it.

in the next couple years I'd like to take the bow out west and put it to the test.

6mm Remington

I'm glad I recorded everything I did when I was shooting a lot. I have a three ring binder for every firearm.
Not sure I ever tried the 140AB or gave it a fair chance, but I think that's the right choice. I used a lot of Viht N-165 & 150gr B-Tips for some pretty good results.

Tecumseh
We basically get a month of archery here before the rifle season starts. Black powder is placed right in the middle of archery season for a week.
Where we hunt at 11,000' and above, sometimes rifle season isn't an option due to excessive snow.

My wife is quite adamant that she is going to take an elk with her bow, so there is a lot of priority there. My son will be of age to hunt next year, so it's going to get even busier. It's all good!!

Back