Hog Down

35R

Beginner
Jan 13, 2012
Went to my brother's place in Northern Florida to do some clearing and work on food plots for the upcoming season. Being in private land is legal to shoot feral hogs year round in Florida. And, I've just happent to bring my little Remington 799 chambered in .223Rem :wink: . I've load up a few 70gr SPEER Spitzers a while back and had some time to sit on the stand for a couple of hours therefore game on. About 45 minutes before sunset this little sow decided to walk by 40 yards away from me on her way to the Scrub Oaks to have dinner. I guess, we were the ones to dine on her.

Enjoy

PICS-MIX017.jpg

35R

Nice hog. I really miss hog hunting, but no hogs in ID.

Where did you get that animation in your signature - I want to poach it for another forum.

Thanks everyone,

Pork Chops have been emailed and even threw in some tenderloins as well :lol:

Richracer1,

I really do not remember where I got it from. Nonetheless, feel free to poach it.

Mortis,

I guesstimate the weight at 80-90 pounds. Which to me its just the perfect size. :mrgreen:

Here is another pic

PICS-MIX019.jpg

80-90 pounds..... tender for sure.....

Last one I took down went about 280.....

Considering the type of veggies and such hogs have to eat in this part of the country.... everything was edible....and certainly had bacon, which some ferals don't have due to forage.

Dang..... with the weather cooling and seeing that nice piggie.... gonna have to get into the woods before deer season starts.....

Again... well done....

Mortis":30g105z5 said:
80-90 pounds..... tender for sure.....

No doubt in my mind about that. Mine was very tender and just a little bit bigger. Still great eating though!

Richracer, here's your chance to start a new career. Just import a few hogs from California and you'll be the only Pig hunting guide in Idaho. :lol:

SCRUBS":1g65wqx1 said:
Really wish we could use the little .223 for deer here.....

You should see the number this little 70gr pill did to this Piggy. Bullet hit the right front shoulder blade broke a couple of ribs in that side damaged both lungs broke a couple of more ribs on the left side and made about a 3/8" hole through the left shoulder blade on its way out. Needless to say it dropped where it stood.

I have used this SPEER 70grains Spitzer on several hogs and a couple of Florida Deer with great results out of my 1:12" twist Remington 799.

Next, I want to load the Nosler 64 gr Bonded Solid Base that I bought from SPS sometime back and see what it does to these critters. :mrgreen:

Thanks Again,

35R

The 223 is a great round for kids to start deer hunting with, and obviously hogs. That bonded solid base is going to blow right thru them.

Nice Hog, way to go. I smell bacon frying mmmmmmm. :mrgreen:

Don

Back