Holster Oooops...

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
I am surprised that the Blackhawk Serpa with that finger-release retention device is still on the market. Too many of these incidents. At least there's no blood in this photo. You can see that his fly is open as someone had just checked for injury. I understand that these holsters have been banned from several prominent shooting schools because of this sort of thing. I used one briefly as a cop. It was fast, but I went back to a good old Safariland retention holster for duty.

There are so many other holsters, better holsters, available. this is the one that keeps on producing discharged pistols...

Guy

I have several of those in a box, in the attic. My old PD “outlawed” them. Not even allowed to use them off duty anymore.

I have several of those in a box, in the attic. My old PD “outlawed” them. Not even allowed to use them off duty anymore.
I still have one Blackhawk holster for my 1911, but it doesn't have that "Serpa" finger release. Just holds the gun tightly by pressure like any good holster does. It's okay. A bit noisy to draw from, but a decent "plastic" type holster.

I like the leather stuff better. :)

Guy

Guy, I am not familiar with this type of holster. I gather from the comments that there is some sort of trigger that releases the gun from the holster and that people accidently pull the gun's trigger rather than the holster trigger. Is that correct?

Guy, I am not familiar with this type of holster. I gather from the comments that there is some sort of trigger that releases the gun from the holster and that people accidently pull the gun's trigger rather than the holster trigger. Is that correct?

Yes. It falls into the category of "retention holsters" which are commonly used by police to make it more difficult for the officer's sidearm to be taken. They are required equipment for most uniformed police officers. There are quite a few different manufacturers and designs of retention holsters.

The Blackhawk Serpa does have a latch that must be depressed so that the sidearm can be drawn. I've used them but started learning of quite a few instances when the pistol was inadvertently fired While drawing from the Serpa holster.

The problem is that the shooter's trigger finger is doing two different pressing moves. One to release the firearm, and then also to fire the pistol.

People aren't perfect and make mistakes, particularly under stress. This holster design seems to make it very easy for the shooter to make a mistake. Press the latch, then keep pressing as the pistol is drawn, and... press the trigger. Bang!

I quit using the one I'd tried a long time ago and went back to the respected Safariland SSIII retention holster that has a vastly different retention system. The Safariland was slower for me to draw from, but very secure and safe to use.

I've been heavily involved in firearms training for police, military and regular private citizens for quite a while now. Less so now than in years past.

Regards, Guy

Back