HORNADY... I would have expected better

corbin9191

Handloader
Dec 2, 2007
I got these bullets for just using on some marmots and to just plink around. Then today my brother pointed something out to me that I didn't really pay attention to. the first picture shows how much off the cannelure is, http://images1f.snapfish.com/232323232fp8;5>nu=336;>6:4>4:2>WSNRCG=32824474:3338nu0mrj
and this bullet has a double cannelure on it, http://images1f.snapfish.com/232323232fp937>nu=336;>6:4>4:2>WSNRCG=32824474:4338nu0mrj
I just would have thought that hornady would honor their name and quality a little better than what these bullets are showing.

It looks like Hornady sells their over runs for a particular caliber as firsts instead as seconds like Nosler does.

If these were sold as Hornady 1st quality and not 2nds I`d call the manufacture and gripe. They have been good to me with questions and help with data when I`ve called I believe they`ll stand behind their product if it wasn`t sold a factory seconds..

Hornady has always been good to me as well. When I bought these there was nothing about 2nd's. So I am planning on calling them as soon as I can because I bought 2 boxes of these and both have defects.

I can't imagine any major bullet manufacturer that wouldn't want to keep their customers happy. Let Hornady know.

I would probably be a little upset too, however given the past six months rate of production by every component company, there could easily be a few slip by like that.

It happens from time to time even under normal work loads, and most companies will be more than happy to make it right.

Then again, unless you are crimping them in the grove, there is really nothing wrong with them and they should still easily shoot up to your expected uses potential.

Give them a ring, they have worked with me on similar issues in the past, just like Sierra and Nosler.

Have you shot any of the bullets? How do they shoot? If you are not going to be crimping they should shoot OK. I would give them a call though.

1Shot":2s4cnm99 said:
Have you shot any of the bullets? How do they shoot? If you are not going to be crimping they should shoot OK. I would give them a call though.
Yes I have shot some of these bullets and the groups opened up since the last good batch i used. I do crimp the bullets to give me a good uniform pressure for acuracy. But I have emailed them this morning and now I just have to wait until they get back to me and if they don't I will just give them a call.

I am sure Hornady is a good company but I have never liked how their bullets performed in my hand loads. Now no one get all excited, all I did was state a fact with my work and it is not like I have not done a bunch of load development through the years. I just never found my self satisfied with Hornday although their ammo shot good for me in two rifles. It must be me when it comes to hand loads but I just never warmed up to Hornady. I hope this was just a one time over sight on their part. I like to see all the bullet companies do well.

I have nothing poor to say about Hornady. I have used Hornady bullets for years in my 280, 7 mm RM and 300 WSM with excellent results. They have accounted for many head of game. I think it is one of those things that happens from time-to-time with the finest of companies. Within the shooting sports, however, it seems as if every company goes out of its way to make things right with its cliental. Hornady was not given an opportunity to address the issue before it was posted here. When they receive the Email and/or phone call, I would fully anticipate that they will resolve the issue to the satisfaction of the complainant. I would hope that we receive a report of his satisfaction here shortly.

I'd say every bullet company likely turns out some "clunkers" time to time. I was very unhappy with some Nosler Seconds I bought once, but they were indeed seconds.

Shot poorly too. Jacket came unwrapped in flight. Yuk. Never bought any more seconds.

Had some seriously deformed Speer pistol bullets a long time ago too come to think of it. It happens.

I wonder if your cannelure problems are actually problems at all? Might shoot just fine.

FWIW, Guy

Guy Miner":13zh1x5b said:
I wonder if your cannelure problems are actually problems at all? Might shoot just fine.
I loaded the bullets the same as before with the same bullet and the accuracy was worse. I use the cannelure to crimp the bullet to have a uniform pressure and when I cant crimp the bullet for some reason the groups just like to open up with this gun.

Back