Hornady OAL guage with modified cases

rjm158

Handloader
Oct 15, 2009
I saw this the other day in my catalog and after watching a YouTube video on it, I was wondering if it works as well as the video indicates. If it does, I would think it could be a great help getting the jump figured out to make Accubonds and E-tips work correctly.

Has anyone here used one and, if so, what were your results/impressions?

Ron

Ron I use the headspace comparator to set my sizing die up to set the shoulder back .002. And use the bullet comparator to get my overall length. I like them.

Among the first tools I picked up years ago when they were still made by Stony Point. Use them every time I'm working up a load.

I use the old method to measure OAL to the rifling, but have seen the Hornady gauge being used and they work slick. The pro's of the old way is you can measure any rifle of any cartridge on the spot. The pro's of the Hornady is that once you have the gauge and the modified case they are quick and easy.

Just used mine last evening. Use them everytime I get a new gun or bullet to get a baseline, then use throughout load development. Well worth the money. Glad I used it on the new to me Savage 111 30-06, found it has a fairly short throat.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mo381":2ld8fo0m said:
Just used mine last evening. Use them everytime I get a new gun or bullet to get a baseline, then use throughout load development. Well worth the money. Glad I used it on the new to me Savage 111 30-06, found it has a fairly short throat.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Don't have the Hornady gauge but I do the same......measure OAL for every bullet in every gun I go to load for, and mark it in the book for that rifle. I too have 1 rifle with a short throat and cannot load to book length with any bullet I've tried yet without being into the lands. Without measuring maximum OAL I wouldn't of had a clue ahead of time.

Ditto that it is a great tool! I even bought a a tap so that I could make my own modified cases for for some of those that Hornady doesn't offer, like my 338-06 Ackley Improved.

Hornady will make cases for you as well if you send them a fired case as well.

I’ve made a few of them also.

Great tool! I use it every time I open a new box of bullets. I have found that the cartridge case base to ogive length can be different for different boxes of bullets.

This tool is so much easier to use to establish the base to ogive dimension than any other method I have used.

Dan

Also use them.
Handloaded to reloading manual recommended coal's, until getting one. Still need to pick up the curved one for my lever actions.
Did get good results with just using the coal's prior to getting one, but it is not an overly expensive tool, nor are the various modified cases for each cartridge you reload for. Does provide more useful information for your individual rifles and chosen bullets, when tailoring loads for your own firearms.

Lol. I bought both already. Should have bought the curved on first.
I grab it more often than the straight one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one and used it once. Oh, it worked fine but I couldn't use the results. I was setting up a new Browning Abolt II in .300 Win. Mag. I got my OAL and loaded a round then tried to put it in the clip. It was .100" too long. So right off the bat I had a .100 jump. Didn't seem to matter though as this rifle was a solid sub 1/2 MOA shooter.
With my kit came a set of bullet comparators which allowed me to set my bullet depths to the ogive. I've never seated a rifle bullet since then by measuring to the bullet tip. All are measured to the ogive.

Back