How bout it Nosler

Just FYI:

The guy I mentioned, Ray Weller, is building an EDGE with a 36 inch barrel tying to break 3200 fps with a 300 grainer for elk hunting at a max of 1500 yards (he is in a wheelchair). He has been begging Bob Nosler for an AB in that weight for a couple of months. His alternatives are Wildcat Bullets and SMK. However, he has been a Nosler fan forever.

BTW, some knowledgable people (gunsmith Ron Powell for one) believe the Ultra's and more powerful cases with heavy bullets do not come close to their potential unless the barrel is at least 32 inches. Personally, I would want a concrete block to anchor that rifle. :eek: Again, YMMV.

wingnut":2aisrmo6 said:
Just FYI:

The guy I mentioned, Ray Weller, is building an EDGE with a 36 inch barrel tying to break 3200 fps with a 300 grainer for elk hunting at a max of 1500 yards (he is in a wheelchair). He has been begging Bob Nosler for an AB in that weight for a couple of months. His alternatives are Wildcat Bullets and SMK. However, he has been a Nosler fan forever.

BTW, some knowledgable people (Ron Powell for one) believe the Ultra's and more powerful cases with heavy bullets do not come close to their potential unless the barrel is at least 32 inches. Personally, I would want a concrete block to anchor that rifle. :eek: Again, YMMV.

Got to agree with the 32 incher but that's too much barrel for me to pack up and down the hills besides an elk won't mind 2850-2950 with a 300 grain, then again the elk might dislike the hell out of it . Sounds like Ray might like the 338AM, WAY out does the edge or Allen express but it weighs a fair amount as well. I hope Ray gets a 300 NP or AccuBond.

Lilja did an artical on barrel length vs velocity, found it interesting myself.

OU812":wk0tz58z said:
Lilja did an artical on barrel length vs velocity, found it interesting myself.

OU812,
Any chance of posting that article?

JD338

OU812":2ug6josi said:
wingnut":2ug6josi said:
Just FYI:

BTW, some knowledgable people (Ron Powell for one) believe the Ultra's and more powerful cases with heavy bullets do not come close to their potential unless the barrel is at least 32 inches. Personally, I would want a concrete block to anchor that rifle. :eek: Again, YMMV.

Got to agree with the 32 incher but that's too much barrel for me to pack up and down the hills ...

Exactly my point above!

To get the most out of the high speed, heavy bullet 338's, most would NOT want a rifle light enough to carry. You would want to bench it. 8)

wingnut":8ivpt1e1 said:
OU812":8ivpt1e1 said:
wingnut":8ivpt1e1 said:
Just FYI:

Got to agree with the 32 incher but that's too much barrel for me to pack up and down the hills ...

Exactly my point above!

To get the most out of the high speed, heavy bullet 338's, most would NOT want a rifle light enough to carry. You would want to bench it. 8)

Boy the boat sailed right on past ya didn't it? Well I'll try and turn it around for one more pass. From Lilja's artical

"The 300 grain Sierra continued to gain velocity all the way out to the full 46" length where it peaked at 3159 fps. The average change per inch with this bullet was 12 fps per inch from 46" to 30", and from 30" to 24" it was almost the same at 13 fps per inch. With big case capacities, heavy bullets and slow powders, long barrels produce top velocities".

No one said more barrel won't give higher velocites to a given point. But the difference between a 32 in barrel and my little 27 inch barrel according to Lilja is 13 fps per inch, 65 fps total. I would gladly give up more than that for accuracy.

Shawn Carlock, the guy who designed the edge doesn't offer or show any velocities with the edge over 3000 let alone 3200 with a 300 grain bullet. I my self will give up 100 fps to have a rilfe of a weight I can or will pack around. IF I was always shooting from a bench I would ge the longest useable barreled heavy rifle I could.

We are talking apples to oranges here. Bench shot rifle vs a pack around gun. I will now return you to your regulary scheduled program.

wingnut":2elq885i said:
OU812":2elq885i said:
wingnut":2elq885i said:
Just FYI:

Exactly my point above!

This is from Shawn Carlock's site. He might know a thing or two about the edge.

"Our first refinement was to move to 30” match barrel of extreme quality. We chose Hart barrels based on reputation and our experience with them and have never looked back. We currently use others as well but the Hart tubes are the overwhelming majority.

With the longer barrels we started running heavier bullets specifically the Sierra 300 gr. SMK. We can run the 300 SMK 2800-2950 fps depending on the load and individual rifle. What has become our standard load runs right at 2800-2830 fps. While you can run faster this load combo gave extreme velocity spreads of low teens and single digits. Also since we were using a Hodgen “extreme” powder when we tested temperature sensitivity we found it vary less than 30 fps from 20-90 degrees. No other combo we tested came close to this kind of consistency. From my position I will gladly give up 100 fps (or less) for this kind of performance".

OU812,

What is your barrel length on your 338AX?

JD338

JD needed a new Antelope round anyway..... :lol: :lol: :lol: CL (and no I'm not gettin on anybodys case again...just a lttle attempt at humor). CL

JD338":24k87zha said:
OU812,

What is your barrel length on your 338AX?

JD338

My 338AX will sport a 27 inch barrel as recommended for my hunting needs by the guy who created the round and builds the rifle.

Are the 30" barrels full choked? :lol:

I refuse to lug around anything over 28" max. It is a personal thing.

POP":eza4whby said:
Are the 30" barrels full choked? :lol:

I refuse to lug around anything over 28" max. It is a personal thing.

+1

JD338

Back