How long you been reloading and What brand reloading gear?

When I took a new job back in 1980 I had a boss that shot skeet 1-3 times per week. He got me hooked good. I bought an old used Texan to reload for my 12 gauge.

Fast forward a few years and now I have two Ponsness Warren shotshell reloaders; a single stage 375 and a progressive [my son and a bud joined a youth trap league when he was about 14 and I couldn't keep up if all three of us were shooting].

As for rifle and pistols: I bought a used RCBS Rockchucker back in 1981 and began to load for my old .35 Rem Marlin 336 deer rifle. We'll today the Marlin is gone [good riddance, that thing kicked like a mule on steroids] but the Rockchucker still has a place on my bench, joined by a green electronic scale and powder dispenser. For pistol reloading I purchased a Blue Square Deal B; it just cranks 'em out.

So I've been doing this for a bit over thirty years; gee, how time flies. But I've found that my grandson likes to load [or at least play with the equipment]. As soon as that boy is three, I may have to teach him how to run the press... well, maybe when he's four.

Yeah, I'm waiting for the day Nolan can start playing with big boy toys.

rquack: can you tell me a little more about your PW progressive? When I'm shooting shotguns I load an enormous amount of the same load, essentially skeet loads with Red Dot (I think, it's been a while), changing only shot size, occasionally. What model? Was it fussy to set up? What kind of production can you get?

Thanks.

Wow, kool thread resurfacing, never saw it the first time.

Been loading since 79/80 whilst in high school helping a friends dad and thats all she took, I was in love.. Bought the same Bonanza/Forester Coax press I learned on which I still have. I also have two RCBS Partner presses & an Arbor Press for use with Wilson Seaters.

On my 3rd Lee Autoprime tool.

RCBS 505 scale & Bonanza Powder Measure. Upgraded 4-5 yrs ago to a Pact digital scale & dispenser combo. Wow, what a time saver.

Prefer Redding dies, but have RCBS, Lyman, Hornady, Forester, Lee & Wilson.

Currently use a Pumpkin Neck Turning tool, Also have a Forestor & Sinclair

Mituyoyo Dig caliper & assorted Sinclair & Stoney point measuring tooling.

Delta 12" Drill Press/Makita 9.6 Case Prep devices.

And lotsa assorted name brand dodads, custom dohickies and homemade trinket thingies.

I have gotten most of my general gear from Scheels, Cabelas or Midway & 95% of the precision stuff from Sinclair Intl..

And at least 2 + each of the major mfg's reloading manual including Nosler #1-6. Nosler was the first Baby!!!...

Rod

And lotsa assorted name brand dodads, custom dohickies and homemade trinket thingies.

Rod -
Good to have you back on the board :lol: . That one made my night. With all those neck turners you have, I may need to borrow one if those 6.5 necks start getting too thick.

I use a RCBS rock chucker for all my rifle reloading and a Dillon 650 for my pistol reloading. I greatly enjoy working up a load for my rifles but to be honest working the progressive machine is a chore on par with cutting grass. My son & I are involved in IPSC practical shooting so we burn up around 1,500 rounds of .45 acp a month. As far as dies go I have no favorites. I use RCBS, Lee & Dillon.
Regards,
Chris

Thinking back, I guess I would have to agree with Jar Head. Loading on a single stage is relaxing, on a progressive stressful.

Back