How many "normal" rifles do you own??

jtoews80

Handloader
May 19, 2007
I have been big game hunting for 18 years, hunting grouse and the like for 20 years & reloading for 11.
Over the past few years I have bought sold and traded alot of rifles. Some good, some bad and some that I wish I'd kept. If I added them up the number would be between 100 and 200. The lady from the Canadian Firearms Center told me that there are four pages of transfers on file that I have done since 1998.

I now have only 3 rifles that I would call normal.

A 257 wby vanguard, a 308 Norinco M14 & a 700 SPS 300 RUM.

The RUM is getting a 338 RUM barrel off of a LSS installed and the chambered deepened to the 338 Edge because 338 RUM brass is rare.
It will be very light and may need a break installed too. Should be a hard hitter. I am starting to wonder if I should take the time to shoot the 300 barrel first, just in case it's a real shooter, but haven't got dies to try it.

JT.

JT,

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Shoot the 300 RUM. You might find you have a real shooter and not want to change a thing. You could then pick up a donor action for the 338 RUM build at a later date.

JD338

Don't shoot the donor!!!!! If you do, you will be looking for another donor action. Happens all the time. I just traded for a 700 in 30/06 for a project. I took it to the smith without chambering a round. Third rifle I acquired for this project, other two were shot and sold to friends that wanted a good shooter. That has postponed my project for at least a year.Rick.

jtoews, if your looking for .338 Ultra Brass Grafs has got packs of 50 in stock. I have found that REM brass for this caliber holds up quite good.

Sometimes I wonder if its the other way around too.. "Only interesting rifles are accurate!"

With that said I have 4 bone stock rifles (outside of trigger mods). All others are rebarreled & restocked... Got another 700 SA in the tool box for next project, whatever that may be...

But I am really happy with my stock rifles.....

Rod

If they go "BANG," would that qualify as "normal?" :) Every rifle I own gets some attention (setting the trigger, honing the sear, adjustment of length of pull, bedding (some pillar bedded and some with new glass bedding), etc.). However, none are really altered terribly.

I tend to keep what I buy; I've probably not sold more than ten or twelve rifles or shotguns that I owned during the past decade. I do confess that my safe is getting full, and I actually need to make some room. I am agonizing over the sale of a BLR in 358 and a Model 70 in 300 WSM because I have other rifles chambered in those cartridges. What a dilemma.

It seems that I don't sell anything that I have modified. The bone stock rifles seem to go down the road tho.

All of my rifles are basically stock with the actions bedded and my gunsmith doing his magic on the trigger. The most I have done to a factory rifle is my son's Ruger Model 77 MKII in 6mm Rem. I wanted to make it a little special for him so I bought a Boyds Nutmeg Laminate stock, had it glass and pillar bedded, and the trigger worked on. We then had the stock checkered. The brown laminates look so beautiful, and the rifle really turned out nice.

A really nice guy who lives up in North Dakota bought the factory stock to put on a rifle for one of his grandchildren when they get older. Selling the factory stock just about paid for the Boyds, so we both came out great.

All of my rifles are "normal". Most only get a trigger job, and that is about it. Haven't ever altered stocks, other than putting a limbsaver recoil pad on a few of them. Scotty

Well outside of a trigger job and bedding most of mine are normal. My Win M70 338 WM has a McMillan stock on it and a trigger job, don't know if that counts. And I'm in the middle of building a custom 280 AI on a Savage 110.

Well, lets see, I have twelve rifles. All of them have had some sort of trigger adjustment done, either by me or my Gunsmith. Three of them I changed from the cheap plastic stock to a laminate thumbhole stock. Other than the above mentioned items, my are, I guess, all normal.

2-BDLs
2-CDLs
2- Savages
1- Cooey
2- Mossbergs
1- CIL
1-CZ
2- Lakefields
and a half a dozen shotguns :grin:

Blessings,
Dan

22-250 Remington VLS - normal
6.5 rem mag Douglas rebarrel - custom
280AI Hart rebarrel - custom
30-06 Stey Forester - normal
300 win mag Beretta Mato - sorta normal
338 RUM Brux rebarrel - custom
375 Ruger Pac-Nor 3 groove rebarrel - custom

29% normal :roll:

I tend to rebarrel so alot of my rifles are older and I'm always looking never know what I might find. Here is some of my deer/elk rifles

30-338mag--K&P 1/10 twist barrel
30-338mag--Lilja 1/11 twist barrel
30-338mag--K&P 1/12 twist barrel
300WSM--Broughton barrel
270WSM--Lawton barrel
30-06--Bartlein barrel
30-06--Shilen barrel
270--Lilja barrel
270--Hart barrel
280AI--Kreiger barrel
300RUM--Factory
300Wby--Factory

In the works
280AI--Lilja barrel
284--Bartlein barrel
300WSM--Kreiger barrel
35 Whelen--new purchase needs to be stocks etc.

antelope rifles
6RemAI--K&P barrel
6RemAI--Pac-Nor barrel
243AI--Hart barrel
243--Kreiger barrel

I have alot of fun with them

I have the joy of following 30-338 (BTW nice, nice, nice collection)...

1) 223WSSM: Win Mod 70 w/Timney Trigger

2) 30-06: Win Mod 70 w/McMillan Stock and Timney Trigger

3) 300 Short Action Ultra Mag: (Rem Mod 700--the 2003 RMEF limited edition stainless steel deal) w/McMillan Stock and Timney Trigger

4) 338 Win Mag: Win Mod 70 w/McMillan Stock and Timney Trigger

30-338":ty2ug3kl said:
I tend to rebarrel so alot of my rifles are older and I'm always looking never know what I might find. Here is some of my deer/elk rifles

30-338mag--K&P 1/10 twist barrel
30-338mag--Lilja 1/11 twist barrel
30-338mag--K&P 1/12 twist barrel
300WSM--Broughton barrel
270WSM--Lawton barrel
30-06--Bartlein barrel
30-06--Shilen barrel
270--Lilja barrel
270--Hart barrel
280AI--Kreiger barrel
300RUM--Factory
300Wby--Factory

In the works
280AI--Lilja barrel
284--Bartlein barrel
300WSM--Kreiger barrel
35 Whelen--new purchase needs to be stocks etc.

antelope rifles
6RemAI--K&P barrel
6RemAI--Pac-Nor barrel
243AI--Hart barrel
243--Kreiger barrel

I have alot of fun with them

I sense a slight overlap in your choice of chamberings! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

POP, You should see my varmit rifles

22ppc--Sako factory
6ppc--K&P barrel--Sako action
6ppc-Hart barrel--40x action
6ppc--Shilen barrel--700 action