How much rifle do we really need?

I just bought a 9.3x74R which I probably would never have bought if Ruger had not chambered it in the Number One. I have always wanted one of these old cannons just for wanting to own one. I don't know if I ever will shoot anything with it or not but I bet it would make a fine Jungle Rifle for Roosevelt Elk. A 286 gr Partition at 2350 fps should give an elk, even the mighty Roosevelt, pause for dying quickly. I do not think penetration would be an issue, nor breaking a couple of shoulders if need be. :mrgreen:

I don't think I'd ever need anything bigger than a .300 Win Mag, and realistically not even anything that big but that's just what I already own. That however will not stop me from getting a .338 RUM or Lapua in the future.

Just merely stating my mileage on the issue.... I used to top out a 308Win. I went on a quest for an 06 and came across a bargain on a 300WM and bought my first magnum. Many years and guns later, a friend of mine summed up what very well what has become my outlook based on my conditions... I get to hunt very little. If I'm looking at what could be the only bull I see until next year, I want the ability to take said critter. I'm not going to go down the road of shot placement or shot selection... we all know of it's importance, but a shot I might balk at or feel uncomfortable with using a 308 might be an easy shot for a 300WM. But I also tend to be very conservative in what I feel any particular cartridge is capable of (I'm also very conservative in how I view my abilities, as well).

Use what works for you! I won't judge. I just tend to get defensive as there tends to be a lot of magnum bashing to be found in the gun world.

I don't "bash" anything...well, maybe 25 autos and 380's...but thats about it.

Anytime you think I'm magnum bashing, just remember this...I'm not, I'm just giving the other side of the story :wink:

I enjoy reading about these guys and their big boomers...even the speed goat with the 30-378 (he wasn't speedy enough to outrun that one), I've just never enjoyed shooting hard kicking guns...except the 45-70, I do like that one loaded up with a 405 grain lead slug at almost 2,000 fps...almost 50 ft. lbs. of recoil energy in a Marlin...can be painful sometimes, but it makes me smile every time I pull the trigger :mrgreen:

132_3227.jpg

132_3214.jpg

45-70pic.jpg

A poor boys "charge stopper"...

Ridgerunner665":3o0ei9re said:

Anytime you think I'm magnum bashing, just remember this...I'm not, I'm just giving the other side of the story :wink:

I enjoy reading about these guys and their big boomers...even the speed goat with the 30-378 (he wasn't speedy enough to outrun that one), I've just never enjoyed shooting hard kicking guns...except the 45-70, I do like that one loaded up with a 405 grain lead slug at almost 2,000 fps...almost 50 ft. lbs. of recoil energy in a Marlin...can be painful sometimes, but it makes me smile every time I pull the trigger :mrgreen:

The .45-70 sounds about the same class of rifle to me as a 9.3x74R! Not really much difference in recoil or performance. A big boomer is a big boomer whether in a Marlin or a Ruger!

Oldtrader3":qzvoerhu said:
Ridgerunner665":qzvoerhu said:

The .45-70 sounds about the same class of rifle to me as a 9.3x74R! Not really much difference in recoil or performance. A big boomer is a big boomer whether in a Marlin or a Ruger!

Properly loaded, it'll take the fight out of pretty much anything within its range...and can be brought into action FAST...pretty quick on follow ups too if you lean into it pretty good.

I just traded my .45-70 Marlin about a year ago and I liked it just fine. I shot it quite a bit at the range, it was very accurate for a lever gun but I got rid of both my lever guns last year. Gave the other lever (a Model 94) to my son, plus, I gave him a Guide Gun Model 1895 as well.

Because of illness issues, I spend much more time on the range than hunting anymore. Because of physical limits and being disabled, I have reduced my safe population quite a bit over the past 4 years. I kept those rifes which I enjoy shooting the most at the range.

Ridgerunner665":3pra24hx said:

Oh I understand you weren't bashing... and that is one reason I'm liking this forum so far... seems like a pretty decent group of guys and gals that can get along pretty well... and the ones that can't seem to be swiftly taken care of by the mods.

The Marlin in 45-70 is one of the rifles that is currently on my short list. I am currently looking to round out my collection but am severely lacking in the large bore stuff (I top out at 338 currently). Aside from a 375 and 416, likely RCMs, I also want something in the 45 neighborhood. I gave some thought to the 458WM, but honestly don't think I'd get a whole lot of use out of it. The 45-70 on the other hand ought to be quite a neat alternative. I like leverguns... especially Marlins. I gave some thought to a 450 Marlin, but I'm not sure I'd be gaining much if anything over the 45-70... plus I lose the nostalgic cartridge and gain a belt.

Meatmachineman - I had two different .45/70 Marlins over a period of 9 years or so. One was the stubby 18.5" ported Guide Gun, which was a fast handling little howitzer... Replaced it later with the standard 22" 1895, with the pistol-grip stock. I liked Marlin Number Two better, as I shot it better. Both were very good guns, reliable and accurate.

They can be loaded up to rather impressive power/recoil levels. Top loads I used were 425 gr Beartooth cast "Piledriver Junior" bullets at about 1950 fps from the 22" rifle. THUMP for sure. Accurate too.

It was more fun to shoot milder loads though - still got great big holes in things. Have to admit that with all the fun I had with those two rifles the only game I ever took was a mule deer doe at about 70 yards in some very open country here in central Washington. Made a little stalk. She was standing in tall grass and I could only see the top 1/3 of her, so that's what I took. Broke her spine and dropped her instantly. The big bullet (a 405 gr Rem JSP @ 1650 fps) destroyed little meat.

Always felt well-armed with one of those Marlins in hand. Eventually I'd tried about all the handloads I was interested in and my buddy told me he really wanted the 1895, so... He got it and I bought the .375 H&H Number One instead. It too has been a good rifle.

Why do I want a powerful gun with a bigger bore than .30 cal? I dunno. Don't need it, but I like 'em.

I think you'll enjoy a .45/70 - and I'd look for a quality one a few years old before Remington bought Marlin and moved the production. Quality seems to be coming up in recent years, but there was a while there that they just weren't being well made by the new hands, at the new facility.

These days my lever action Marlin needs are met by a .30/30 - which I really enjoy too. Hoping to use it on whitetail here in a couple of weeks!

Regards, Guy

"I wonder what Shoemaker carries when guide hunting bears? I think that's the true answer to what he recommends. BT"

I believe it is an FN Mauser chambered to the .458 Win. mag.

"let's face facts... we don't "need" hunting rifles. We don't "need" to hunt."

You're absolutely right. We really do not "need" to to this yet we do. Why. Probably partly ego, especially among those who strictly trophy hunt. Then there are the "meat hunters", you know the average guy out to put a few steaks and roasts into the freezer. I was sitting on a mountain top with ne of my hunting buddies many years ago and he asked me why I hunted? He knew I wasn't looking for a big head for the wall, although to be honest if one shower up I'd certainly take it. Guess I was just a plain old meat hunter. Mike, my buddy said he too just hunted for met. said he felt like by hunting he was doing more hiself toward feeding his family that when he went to the store for groceries. That's how I felt as well but he put it into the proper words. Maybe deep down inside, hiding in our genes the need to hunt for food, although no longer necessary is what makes us hunters. Oh hell! What do I know? :roll:
Paul B.

This is always a good topic of conversation. In the last 10 years I have had the following hunting rifles.
Remington 700 7mm mag
Two Wincester 70's both .30-06
Ruger 77 .270
Ruger 77 .308
Remington 7600 .30-06 (gave to our eldest)
Remington 700 .243
I may have missed one as I like firearms as much as the next guy! Now, that being said the last 2 or 3 deer I have harvested have been with my old 99 .300 Savage, the first hunting rifle I received as a boy. All the above rifles were very good rifles & I shot them well enough but none were as comfortable as the old 99 nor did they hold the sentimental value. I have always hunted where I live, on public land & will most likely continue to do so, now that I am in Wisconsin the 99 should serve me well enough. I have abandoned most of my hunting rifles (lots of hand guns yet) and have become very comfortable with the fact that the 99 will be my one hunting rifle until such a time I would retire it or pass it on. I stopped experimenting with it also, 4064 with 150 PT's work well & seem to be very accurate, after hitting the range with it last week it was a very comforting feeling to put 3 on target and say "yup, thats where they should be". I love all my guns and I know you all love your's as well, as it should be, as far as hunting rifles go I am very happy to just hunt with one.

"Semper Fi"

There is a reason that old 99 feels like it was made for you...

I am the same way with Rem 700 long actions, its because thats the rifle that taught me how to shoot...I'm shooting Winchesters these days because of some issues I had with Remington...and I really like my M70 30-06, but NOTHING ever has or ever will feel as good in my hands a Remington 700...my wifes 270 for example (an older ADL)...that thing feels like it was custom made for me and its a plain factory rifle...no changes whatsoever.

My M70...I've had to replace the stock because the one that was on it just didn't feel right, I'm hoping the new stock fixes that at least to some degree.

Back