I Played Hooky This Afternoon

shoots_5":10vgfhsb said:
The 6.5x47 Lapua is likely my next rifle....those pics might speed up the timeline!

This is one sexy cartridge.

DSC01954.jpg

Desert Fox":oknthmru said:
I like your picture Scotty. Where was that?

It was up in Oregon this past Fall. I wished I got to use the 7WSM on elk, but I am sure it'll get its chance soon enough..

SJB358":18knnz7j said:
Desert Fox":18knnz7j said:
I like your picture Scotty. Where was that?

It was up in Oregon this past Fall. I wished I got to use the 7WSM on elk, but I am sure it'll get its chance soon enough..

My buddy Ken shot this Oregon elk a couple of years ago. I thought it was a stag.

DSC01868.jpg

nice groups df i loaded 40g of h4350 in my old 6.5x47 that was running 2790 alot of guys are running 42 grains and getting right at 2900. but i am not sure what the pressures are seems like they may be a bit brisk to be getting 2900 out of that case with a 130g vld.

nice groups df i loaded 40g of h4350 in my old 6.5x47 that was running 2790 alot of guys are running 42 grains and getting right at 2900. but i am not sure what the pressures are seems like they may be a bit brisk to be getting 2900 out of that case with a 130g vld.

Yeah, My buddy Kenny who own 3 of these told me that he is running the 140 Berger at 2870 fps. That's in 6.5-284 realm already. He said his brass had been reloaded more than 10 times and still good. Hmmm.

Desert Fox":21cc8azb said:
Yeah, My buddy Kenny who own 3 of these told me that he is running the 140 Berger at 2870 fps. That's in 6.5-284 realm already. He said his brass had been reloaded more than 10 times and still good. Hmmm.

That is pretty amazing what the little 6.5's will do. Even my 264 with almost twice as much powder only runs about 3150-3200 with 140's.. Granted it's faster, but that little 6.5 is gettin it with such a high BC bullet.

It is amazing considering that the this little cartridge can match my 6.5-284 Norma load with 25% less powder. Talking about efficiency.

DF, one of these days I'm going to pick you brain regarding an upcoming LR build I have stuck in my head... Brux tube, Defiance action, McMillan stock, Jewell trigger...

BK":3vo1m8el said:
DF, one of these days I'm going to pick you brain regarding an upcoming LR build I have stuck in my head... Brux tube, Defiance action, McMillan stock, Jewell trigger...
Anytime BK.

What caliber you have in mind?

Undecided. Maybe 6.5x47, maybe .260 (now that Lapua is supposedly making brass for it), maybe 7mm SAUM or WSM.

I'm mostly curious about bottom metal and barrel profile. IIRC, you seem to like the MTU or AMU contour, which (I think) is a little heavier than the Remington Varmint contour. Is that for stiffness? Weight? Balance? Heat transfer?

BK":1jvymgd4 said:
Undecided. Maybe 6.5x47, maybe .260 (now that Lapua is supposedly making brass for it), maybe 7mm SAUM or WSM.

I'm mostly curious about bottom metal and barrel profile. IIRC, you seem to like the MTU or AMU contour, which (I think) is a little heavier than the Remington Varmint contour. Is that for stiffness? Weight? Balance? Heat transfer?

For stiffness yes! as for balance no! My target rifles are all slightly front heavy. You could always reduce the weight by fluting the barrel. If you're going to built a Tactical rifle, a Badger Ordinance bottom metal will be your best choice. It's kind of pricey but so are other makers like Seekins, DD Ross, etc.

Back