ice cleats

jimbires

Handloader
Aug 16, 2011
what are you guys using for ice cleats on your boots ? the winters are giving a lot of rain and freeze in my area . I like to get out and walk , but at times it's tough . I googled it , and there are more choices of these than I imagined . any suggestions ?

For just walking around town lots of people have success with Yaktrax. Most of them seem to use their "Walk" version but you can also look at their "Chains" and "Diamond Grip" for your boots ... Most are easy on & easy off. Shop around for deals...

what are you guys using for ice cleats on your boots ? the winters are giving a lot of rain and freeze in my area . I like to get out and walk , but at times it's tough . I googled it , and there are more choices of these than I imagined . any suggestions ?
Another option for semi permanent use if you have a pair of shoes just for icy walks outside is to screw in 1/4" hex head screws.

Some of the local loggers use these in their boots instead of buying stand alone caulks as the icy season is short here.
Just remember, cookie won't be impressed if you wear them on the hardwood of the cook house. Might spit in the skillet.

I use the stretch on kind. For real stay put grip I prefer the ones with the spikes. For general much better than normal traction but still fine to walk across hard surfaces like garage floors etc, the ones that have like coil springs layed horizontal on the bottom work well.

Only thing else I'd add is the stretch on sizes are meant for normal shoes. If you're getting those type to slip over boots, either get a couple sizes bigger than is listed as the size, or better yet see if you can try it on to make sure it will fit over your boot.

We have chinooks here every winter, which melts the snow and leaves ice everywhere.
My wife uses the rubber stretch on type (forget the make at this moment). They have a triangular shaped cleat that works well for her.
Recently she bought a different kind that was available for her boots, but the slightly different cleat does not provide as sure of a grip on the slick ice as the ones for her shoes.

I picked up a different rubber slip on with round, short spikes, but haven't used them, as mostly I wear my Baffin rubber work boots (designed for drilling rig workers who are on cold, slippery steel all day, that is usually covered in slippery drilling fluid) that have a softer sole that works better on the ice than most footwear, and they even keep my feet warm when it gets down to 40 below, for hours at a time, with just a heavy work sock. Been using them for about 25 years. Haven't worn a real snow pack type winter boot since.

The other key point on the ice: slow down, take shorter steps, and walk with a flat footed step so that you have more sole on the ground and less heel to toe action that promotes slipping.

We use ICEtrekkers up here at camp they work well most of the time, you do need to be careful when on the expanded metal type stair as they can get stuck in the diamond tread. A pair seems to last about 2 months due to the cables wearing/rusting through, granted I do wear them 12 hours a day for weeks at a time.

thanks again Fellas , I do appreciate it . I knew some guys would have to deal with a lot more ice than I get .

I recently bought a very cheap shoe from Cabelas . they are a slip on shoe , like the old penny loafers . I think they were $20 or $25 . I wear them around the yard with the dog . very convenient , they slip on so easy . these things seem to stick to the ice . as I step I feel them tearing free from the ice . I wish I could buy boots with these souls on them .

I'll have to read up on the Baffin boots too.

here is the shoe I was talking about . . I gave them a spray of waterproof . I wanted cheap and easy on and off . just great on ice .

Last edited:
I wear NEOS over boots.. These are studded with removable screws. Works great.. Have for past 4-5yrs.. They are waterproof and insulated.. Easy on/off.. Use them for hiking/ice fishing/shoveling snow. There are good reviews of STABILicers Maxx in XXL, but call STABIL and ask their advice on sizing. Also, ask for a set of extension straps(2) for each boot.

Yak tracks are pretty easy on and off. I always have Kennetreks micro spikes in my elk hunting kit. 6” inches of snow on country that drops 1600 feet in under 1/2 mile gets interesting.

These work great. Just used them on my mule deer hunt in eastern Montana.

These are also great.

Last edited:
I appreciate all the suggestions fellas . it's that time of year again , I got to get something .

Back