I'm probably the only crazy one left...

canoeblderinmt

Beginner
Oct 21, 2004
But I hunt elk with an M-1 Garand. I'm looking at loading this year with Partitions, and will probably go with a 180 gr. What is the purpose and end result differences between the Spitzer and the Protected Point?

Additionally, should I be looking at the Partition Gold? I can't really load up the round because this is a gas gun with a long, slender op rod that won't take high pressures.

The area I hunt is heavily wooded, so ranges are likely to be fairly short.

I'd appreciate any thoughts, including some good natured chiding for hauling around a 9 pound rifle. BTW, it's match tuned (I'm a Highpower competitor) and pretty accurate. I dropped a nice 4x5 last year with one shot.

Greg

I'm not sure but I think I heard that 165gr or lighter bullets should be used in this rifle. Do you have any problems using the heavier bullets?

canoeblderinmt":4k33quyu said:
But I hunt elk with an M-1 Garand. I'm looking at loading this year with Partitions, and will probably go with a 180 gr. What is the purpose and end result differences between the Spitzer and the Protected Point?

Greg

canoe,

There is no difference between the 180 gr spitzer and protected point PTs.
both will perform the same.
Nosler designed the protected point version for the 300 Win Mag so it would meet the COL and fit into a magizine.

BTW, I used to shoot an M1 Grand in High Popwer competition as well. I shot down at Camp Perry in the DCM shoot.

Regards,

JD338

You should have no problem using the 180 grain Partition of either design, but you need to load moderately with powders in the medium burning rates, i.e. 4895, 4064, 4320, Etc., rather than heavier charges of slower burning powders. At the ranges you are shooting, the 180 at 2550 or so should be very effective on the bigger game. Regards, Eagleye.

Back