Inherited old ammo - help me identify

chet

Handloader
Mar 10, 2006
ok, so I went to visit grandma tonight.... I asked her if anybody has ransacked granpas den yet.... she says "yes, but I've been saving something for you". So I bring home coffee cans full of cool stuff :grin:
IMG_0334.jpg

I get it all sorted out, and realize I have no clue what some of it is :shock:
I found 30 carbine tracers, lots of 30-06 stuff (tracers, blanks, fmj), 25-35, 30-30, 45acp..... pretty much what you'd expect to find from a vets collection. I decided I needed to post some pics of the oddball stuff in hopes of creating some interesting conversation with you fine folks :p

check this out, it's stamped 30-06 springfield, crudely trimmed, and a corroded led slug seated in it:
IMG_0335.jpg

and this, inside of neck measures .295", case length is 1.59", check out the funky rim. case head stamped " WISE 1718-65 "
IMG_0336.jpg

this one is a 45, but check out the heavy semi-rim. it is stamper "45-AR"
IMG_0339.jpg

these are rimfire, bullet diameter is .316". oal is .941"
IMG_0338.jpg

this is another rimfire, bullet diameter is .458" oal is 2.60" odd crimping near the rim
IMG_0340.jpg

look at these fancy things, bullet diameter is .260" and sticks out of the case over one inch, case closely resembles the dimentions of a 22-250, primer is staked in three places, no head stamp:
IMG_0337.jpg

what about these? 308 fmj, surely a 7.62 nato, no primer, no flash-hole, LC 59 stamp...... training round? what about the grooves in the case? :
IMG_0341.jpg

interesting pieces to say the least, anybody have more info?
thanks for looking!

The last rounds is a dummy round. You would insert them into a belt to force a weapons malfunction, and force the soldier to run a malfunction drill.

The second to the last looks like a 6.5x55 Sweed. Some of them had the very long silver bullets.

.318, that one could be a .32 short.

The .45 cal @ 2.60" looks like a .45/70, with a weird crimp/dent all the way around the cartridge case just in front of the rim. Maybe it was inserted in a chamber where it didn't belong? Or the handloading dies weren't adjusted quite right? Beats me. But it sure looks like a .45/70 other than that.

The .45-AR is the .45 Auto Rim, made to fit in revolvers chambered for the .45 ACP, without having to use a moon clip. That ammo was still in production within the past 25 years. Nice little cartridge.

Agree on the .30 cal dummy rounds - I remember those.

I thought the same about the .458 looking 45-70 round, but it is a rimfire. No primer! That is a keeper for a bullet collection though. Some pretty cool pieces. I also remember the 7.62 training rounds in order to induce a malfunction.

Cool bunch of bullets/cartridges. Scotty

I have found what appears to be a 22 hornet Ackley Improved, also what appears to be 8x57 mauser ackley improved. were there such things? I'm at work right now, I'll post pics when I get home. The 8mm AI are head stamped R-P 8mm mauser.... and it definetly has a modified shoulder.
Also, I brought a cartridge to work with me that I couldn't identify in any manuals last night. bullet diameter is 308, primer kinda looks like a small shotgun primer, case is 2.15" looks just like a 308 win, but it's longer, and the shoulder is more forward. base diameter is .485... which seems a tad bit large..... any thoughts? edit: I think this one may be a 7.65 argentine, however the bullet diameter is .308, not .311.... but it is a soft point spitzer and it was common for hunters to pull a FMJ and seat a spitzer for hunting purposes back in the day. How do you think their accuracy was with a smaller bullet? :lol:

The second to the last looks like a 6.5x55 Sweed. Some of them had the very long silver bullets

looks like most 6.5 x55 rifles were equiped with 1in8.66 twists, explaining the long bullet.

Some of themlook like arsenal testing rounds for small case reliability and velocity testing in automatic weapons. Some of the others look like antique, balloon head, rimfire rounds from the Post Civil War era before primers came into use.

The convoluted 6.5 rounds that you have are definitely designed for automatic weapons chambers to be used to reduce friction and case extraction forces in weapons with weak extraction devices or blowback design.

Interesting rounds. I hope that you can find out what their history is.

Back