Investment opportunity missed- Really???

cloverleaf

Handloader
Sep 10, 2006
So vintage Gun scopes is seling this one..... Great scope. At the time I thought it was just a little too much for my budget @ $450 or so new as I recall.

OR I could buy this one today. Glad I dont need a scope at the moment...

Somethings backwards here ...or a testament to capitalism.. Dont get me wrong...I love the idea behind "Vintage Gun Scopes". I think its great to resurrect some of the old scopes from the past. Some things just look "right" with a steel tube K-4. But .... CL

The value is whatever the buyer is willing to pay, Troy. I do know that the old VX-3 series were (are) great scopes. I still have several on rifles. They have served me well. Whether the HD series will perform as well in the future is still to be determined.

Ditto what JD338 stated...also Leupold has really improved the internal springs on the newer HD scopes to help POI issues previous models had.

The value is whatever the buyer is willing to pay, Troy. I do know that the old VX-3 series were (are) great scopes. I still have several on rifles. They have served me well. Whether the HD series will perform as well in the future is still to be determined.
From what I've read (mostly here) I'm thinking your assessment of the VX3 is correct. As you say, what the market will support..... I was just commenting that if they can be sold for near double what they sold for originally, I missed another opportunity to make a buck! However, truth told if I had a half a dozen VX3's already on rifles, I still wouldnt part with them. Not much of an investor am I?!? :rolleyes: Sometimes I scratch my head and try and figure out who drives it or how something suddenly increases in value. The partial answer is of course, "stuff that works" has value. Lots of examples in the fire arms world, The 788 and the Nylon 66, Win. Model 25 spring to mind. Nothing special per se, but they seem to work. CL

Personally I would favor the newer scopes because of superior glass AND coatings, even on a vintage rifle but that's just me...

JD338
Yeah. I had an old Weaver 4-12x on my 6mm. Even the cheap Bushnell that ended up on it was a YUGE improvement.

Ain't hindsight a wonderful thing, eh? Don't beat yourself up over it though, mate. Remember, in the world of investments, there's always another opportunity around the corner. As you said, some things just have that 'vintage charm', and others, well, they just hit differently. The trick is in identifying what fits your style and, of course, your budget.
When it comes to spotting a great investment, it's a lot like spotting a good scope. You've got to see the long-term picture, and sometimes, you've got to take a chance on the new and the unfamiliar. Speaking of investment opportunities, have you ever considered trading metals? It's a slightly different landscape, but it could be an interesting exploration. You can check out the details at https://fbs.com/trading/specs/metals-standard. They've got some valuable insights over there.

Last edited:
The latest- "what the market supports"... Oh my goodness- I could double my money (Ya right....) CL

The VX-III is vintage??? Heck I still have a couple of Varri-X scopes from the 1970's and a couple of VX-I and VX-2 scopes. What should I ask for them. :)
I also have a discontinued VX3i fine duplex 6.5X20X40 still in the sealed box. It sold for $750 new (and it is still NIB and factory sealed. Thinking of selling it. Maybe I should ask $1500 for it instead of the $700 I had planned :)

Ditto what JD338 stated...also Leupold has really improved the internal springs on the newer HD scopes to help POI issues previous models had.
Interesting, I had not heard that! I have exactly 1 on my 300 H&H and so far it's been okay, but I have done nothing but zero it and leave it be for now while doing load work.

Back