Iron Sights

Scotty, have you used Hawk and/or Barnes in the 348 and do you like them ? . I did forget about Swift, and I agree they make excellent bullets. Thank you!

Cleveland48":3s91f4ax said:
I think a 180 grain RN Sierra prohunter will be a great round to try out in the thickets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never used many sierra bullets . I loaded Hornady round nose 180's for my Dads 30.06 . those round nose bullets really put a hole in a whitetail .

SJB358":1no3gwko said:
Thankful Otter":1no3gwko said:
Dr Mike, Scotty, April

speaking off the 71, is Woodleigh, North fork, and Kodiak the only options ? These three are all good, but someone who is thinking about getting a Win knockoff asked. We are using the woodleigh product (250 ) and are happy with it but I am sure the North Fork 230 would also work and Kodiak also make good bullets, but was curious if others make them, have you used them and did you like them ?

Swift has a 348 200 grain A-Frame and I believe Hawk, Barnes and Hornady all make good 348 bullets. I'm using the Woodleighs but wouldn't mind trying the Swifts.

This. No, I have never owned (or shot) a Model 71, Cheyenne. Picked up a Model 94 chambered in .356 years ago, and have now owned four. The cartridge and rifle spoiled me.

Cheyenne,

When Brooke ask me a year or so ago, I told her the Woodleigh will give you a bit more frontal, the Swift will reach out an additional foot or two, but the Northfork is the best of both worlds, but they are all three great bullets. I have not used Kodiak, Barnes, or Hawk in the 348 and would rather use a slingshot and a marble than Hornady

At this point in my life if the shot was over 100 feet, not yards, a scope would be required, but when I was your age I also preferred iron sights and used them quite a bit. I preferred them for all quick access shots, Coastal Grizzly, Mountain Lion, Lion, Cape Buffalo type stuff

Yeah, that rifle/caliber could easily spoil a person Dr Mike

cleveland 48, great story, thanks for the post

Guy, I would like to second what Cheyenne suggested to you, any of the hunts she suggested would provide great fellowship, hunting and scenery. I would like to visit and hunt with them all but hunting Goat with Gerry would allow you to see some beautiful country. Unfortunately I am to old to hunt goat's I can barely find my shoes in the morning

The only old goats I am aware of meet me for coffee from time-to-time, April. :?

I dont have a centerfire rifle that does not have a scope

Dr Mike---April-----thanks, you guys do help liven up the same'o, same'o conversations

Thankful Otter":a1i15kjg said:
Scotty, have you used Hawk and/or Barnes in the 348 and do you like them ? . I did forget about Swift, and I agree they make excellent bullets. Thank you!

I have only used the 250 Woodleighs and the 200 Hornadys. I kinda forgot about the Northfork, but that might be a worthy one to give a shot as well.

I can still shoot reasonably well with iron sights, but long ago came to realize that for my hunting scopes are far better. I had a young man challenge me one time on speed shooting at 15 yards. Me with a bolt action scoped 06, he with an open sighted lever (caliber forgotten). Gallon milk jugs at 15 yards. We had 8 jugs each of us with 5 rounds. I won because he missed one. The moral of this story is that it isn't always the best to be the fastest, if you don't hit the target. Practice hones your skills, not necessarily fast shooting.

Guy I happen to have both a 375 H&H ( 1950 Model 70) with a Lyman 48 peep and a Browning Model 71 Carbine with a Lyman 57 Peep.

I would not recommend either of these rifle/sight combo's as they are just not accurate enough to reliably take game.... :)

100 yard group with the 348 shooting off the bench as fast as I can shoot, work the lever, get back on the bag, and squeeze.

Same with the 375. Shoot, work bolt, shoot again, repeat.

Fancy "deer target" done by yours truly :)

Pretty fine shooting, Pat. That'll be minute of deer about anywhere I've ever hunted.

I do not own a centerfire that doesn't have some kind of optics mounted on it.
However I do have 2 flintlocks that wear peep sights and front sights I designed and built. And nowadays the majority of my hunting is with one of these rifles, I just like hunting with iron sights. If and when needed I definitely pull out a scoped rifle for those long shots.
The .40 and it's new peep has been discussed in the muzzleloading section previously. But just recently I completed, mounted and sighted in the new peep for my .54 caliber rifle. As I get older I find I actually enjoy hunting with an iron sighted big bore flintlock more so than I do a scoped rifle.
But the one condition is the rifle must be accurate and I must be able to shoot it with some degree of accuracy. Not always a given with a flintlock rifle.
I know, I know, just a foolish old greybeard rattlin' on about days gone by.....

Attachments

• CCI06272017_0002 (657x1024).jpg
    CCI06272017_0002 (657x1024).jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 465
Back