Is the new Model 21 rifle a problem?

300WSM

Handloader
Dec 24, 2011

Not specifically the rifle itself as it very well may be a fine weapon but rather...

Did/Are they put forth so much effort, energy, resources, etc on the new rifle that it has taken away from bullet productivity and ultimately availability?
I know they obviously have different departments in plant but I seen first hand when something like that happens. I worked at a distributor 20 plus years ago and they decided to come out with their own firearm. It was in a separate department but too many resources were applied to that launch it massively hurt the wholesale side of things.
Materials are out there and Hornady isn't pioneering a business idea of supply.
If there were a decent flow of Nosler bullets it would idicate things are just a little off but sadly the Nosler supply is mostly non existent.

Not specifically the rifle itself as it very well may be a fine weapon but rather...

Did/Are they put forth so much effort, energy, resources, etc on the new rifle that it has taken away from bullet productivity and ultimately availability?
I know they obviously have different departments in plant but I seen first hand when something like that happens. I worked at a distributor 20 plus years ago and they decided to come out with their own firearm. It was in a separate department but too many resources were applied to that launch it massively hurt the wholesale side of things.
Materials are out there and Hornady isn't pioneering a business idea of supply.
If there were a decent flow of Nosler bullets it would idicate things are just a little off but sadly the Nosler supply is mostly non existent.
They've had the M48 for years and it didn't hurt anything, and they made their own action for that one. The 21's comes from Mac bros. In fact, they're only assembling the 21 from components they buy from mcmillan, shilen, and mac bros (and others).

The M21 is a fine rifle. I have 2 of them chambered in 308 Win and 375 H&H Mag. Both rifles shoot well under MOA.
Nosler rifles are built at a location outside of Bend, OR and do not interfere with the bullet manufacturing which is in Bend OR.

JD338

Tangent... What does interfere with Nosler bullet production? Do they supply out to many places and the retail market comes last?

With that said, are Nosler monos hard to come by in the calibers they make them in? Never too late to get on the wave that's inevitably coming to shore.

Tangent... What does interfere with Nosler bullet production? Do they supply out to many places and the retail market comes last?

With that said, are Nosler monos hard to come by in the calibers they make them in? Never too late to get on the wave that's inevitably coming to shore.
I don't remember EVER seeing very many of them... even when I'd stop at SPS...

The M21 is a fine rifle. I have 2 of them chambered in 308 Win and 375 H&H Mag. Both rifles shoot well under MOA.
Nosler rifles are built at a location outside of Bend, OR and do not interfere with the bullet manufacturing which is in Bend OR.

JD338
I'm considering getting a Nos 21 in 375 H&H. How is the felt recoil? Did you put a break on it? Are the scope base screws 6x48 or 8x40?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Fish

Welcome to the forum. I really like that M21. I have a 308 Win and a 375 H&H Magnum. The 308 is 22" and threaded for a brake or suppressor. The 375 is 24" and not threaded. No brake or porting, felt recoil is very tolerable. My wife and daughter have both shot it and said the recoil wasn't bad at all. It's similar to a 12 ga with field hunting loads.
The receiver is drilled and tapped 6-48 threads.
It's shooting .630" with minimal load development. I'll be starting that up again with a goal of .5 MOA.
Nice rifle packed with many nice features.

JD338

Attachments

• IMG_20221229_111228886.jpg
    IMG_20221229_111228886.jpg
    653.6 KB · Views: 4
Back