It Happened Again, Another Horror Story

6ppcar

Handloader
Nov 8, 2007
A good friend got back from a Montana elk hunt. He shot a elk but it traveled a very long way an got onto another private ranch. The blood trail was very poor but he finally found it the next day. The bullet had indeed hit the lungs but no expansion. He had always used Nosler Partitions on all his hunts including the brown bear he took last year with his 338-378 bee. He called me a few days before he left for the hunt and said he would be shooting his 30-378 bee with some factory ammo from Weatherby . The bullet, (most of you already know) the Barnes TSX.
I don't think he'll be shooting anything but Nosler Partitions or Accu Bonds in the future and i feel sure he will voice his opinion to Barnes and Weatherby.

Man that sux. I have seen them work well and have seen them fail miserably. For the record the only X I use is the 416 300 X (not TSX) in my 416 Bee. So far this bullet is working great.

Certain sites put this bullet on a pedestal and I when I have posted the failures I have witnesses I got crucified. I do believe in theory the TSX rocks. That said I have seen it fail quite a bit and all I can say is it is a shame because all of them were due to lack of expansion.

Hey Pop, glad there working for you in the 416 Bee, as for myself I wouldn't use them to hunt a Shanghai rooster.

Well the 416 Bee has been my only vehicle used for Barnes' X for an on game PERSONAL experience.

The rest have been from my buddies which I handload for and I witnessed.

I have learned over the years that every shot on game is unique. I haven't used Barnes bullets because they did not shoot well in my rifles (those were the earlier versions of the X-Bullet). Now that we are on v5.0 (or thereabouts) I want to try them again.

jim

Gee, this is a quiet post considering its about the "perfect bullet". . .oh! thats right, it's not on 24 hour campfire :lol:

Long

If any ever makes the perfect bullet I will be buying some.

I'm glad your buddy found his bull!

Although the two times I've used the 100 gr TSX/.25-06 combo on mulies both worked out great for me - both bucks hit the deck hard and died instantly - I'm still a little worried about the doggone things not expanding. Am already doing a little experimenting with other bullets and hope to be running something else next year. Still, it is hard to argue with two for two with the TSX. Sure haven't been able to recover a bullet either.

I'm thinking maybe the 115 Ballistic Tip or the 110 gr AccuBond.

Regards, Guy

Guy Miner":1v0xonam said:
I'm glad your buddy found his bull!

Although the two times I've used the 100 gr TSX/.25-06 combo on mulies both worked out great for me - both bucks hit the deck hard and died instantly - I'm still a little worried about the doggone things not expanding. Am already doing a little experimenting with other bullets and hope to be running something else next year. Still, it is hard to argue with two for two with the TSX. Sure haven't been able to recover a bullet either.

I'm thinking maybe the 115 Ballistic Tip or the 110 gr AccuBond.

Regards, Guy

I'll be trying the 110 AccuBond soon in my 25-06, I'm sure it will be a success.

6ppcar":3f6su61f said:
I'll be trying the 110 AccuBond soon in my 25-06, I'm sure it will be a success.

I used the 110 AB in my 25-06 a week ago on a wt doe uphill at 100 yards. Bang/flop. Loaded with 47 gr of 4350. Hope you have similar results.

Glad to hear that your friend found his bull. I have never used the Barnes X bullets, I'm a Nosler kind of guy. There are a lot of new bullet styles out there but they always compare them to the Nosler Partition. :wink:

JD338

None spoken truer JD338

I loaded 115 gr TSX's up and they just weren't accurate, I only tried a few powders and charges, but it was too easy to go back on my pet load, that prints reliable .333" groups...

What i can't understand is why would anyone change bullets when they have had success with the the tried and true, (The Nosler) I guess it must be the advertisement Triple Shock , I know my friend was triple shocked when the elk ran off to the next county.

6ppcar,

I'm sure you'll be impressed with the 110gr AccuBond. I've used it on one Mule Deer and One Antelope. Worked great.

Colin":3sm1yypl said:
6ppcar,

I'm sure you'll be impressed with the 110gr AccuBond. I've used it on one Mule Deer and One Antelope. Worked great.

Well said 6ppcar. :lol:

JD338

My son would disagree he a shot large mule 200 yards shoulder 140gr AccuBond from 270 WSM bullet must have came apart on impact 2 hours latter we caught up two him and I up a 100grBT form 260Rem. into the lungs and game over. But if not for getting the second shot the buck would have been coyote bait. the AccuBond only messed up muscle no real bad bone damage. But just one bullet one day I'm sure Dan will give them another try just not a shoulder shot. So the barns on a different shot placement may be fine.

Alan.

Back