It Is Going (8X68S)

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
Well, it is started! An 8X68S built on a Winchester action with a PacNor barrel. Now begins the wait. In the interim, I have a few other cartridges to play with. However, I secured the action and set the project in motion.

Wow congrat's Mike I am sure that will be a thumper and a looker we might need some more BP meds for this 1 !! :lol:

That is a nice one. A baby 8mm Rem mag! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

FOTIS":1az8cjtz said:
That is a nice one. A baby 8mm Rem mag! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Yup. I believe it will work quite well here in BC. Likely take a year of so before it is complete. Nevertheless, it is on the go! Woo Hoo!

I shot a few when stationed in Germany. Quite a hoot!

...too bad there aren't any 220gr. AccuBonds to load for it...

(staring to the East)

That should be a fine rifle DrMike. I would not mind having one of those myself! What action are you building it on?

Charlie, I'm building on a Winchester action. When it rains, it pours. I may have secured a 1903 Springfield action to build a 7X64 since I posted this. If I'm successful, I'll let you know.

Nice! Do you need any 8mm bullets? I have lots from my 8RM days :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

boomer68":1wmnpy1z said:
Nice! Do you need any 8mm bullets? I have lots from my 8RM days :)

I've got a pretty good supply; but I'm always open to whatever might be lurking around. I have some old Speer 225 grain Hot Cor bullets that may get used. I have a good supply of Nosler and Barnes bullets. I'm skinny on Sierra 220 grain GKs, which have worked quite well in the past. However, I have a goodly supply of 220 grain Partitions and 200 grain AccuBonds. Gene is right, it is too bad there aren't any 220 grain AccuBonds to work with. I have a few boxes of Swift A-Frames, which have proven to be effective with other cartridges in the past.

Mike,

Congratulations on the new build.
I can't wait for you to get it and share some pictures.

JD338

Yep, sounds about perfect for your neck of the woods, Doc. Trust you're going with a wood stock?

I have requested a Featherweight stock, though I would settle for a laminate in this case. All my Winchesters wear wood, and most are wearing the Featherweight wood. It does look as if I am doing two builds. Rocky Mountain Rifles will build the 8X68S, and another local gunsmith (with help from a friend) is building a 7X64 on a Springfield action. The Springfield (chambered to 7X64) will set me back more than any others because it will wear a piece of custom wood carved by a local fellow. I wanted one rifle that was built with local components. Though I will start with a Springfield action, I've asked for a Bevan King barrel and Lou Bates is carving the walnut. Either will be a great addition to my growing arsenal. I'm going to have to sell off a few rifles shortly, or find some way to make more room, however.

With a 7x64 and 8x68 that is going to flesh out your Euro metric collection and go nicely with the others :) Can you still get a King barrel, I thought he retired.

Bevan is retired. He putters around his shop and does some odd work for a few locals. I would be remiss if I failed to secure one of his barrels. He has graciously agreed (at the request of a mutual friend) to do this build. I'm quite humbled at the opportunity.

That is really great he made a great barrel for a reasonable price, glad you will be getting one. The one I still have on my Sako 35 Whelen has been a good one, had he still been making them the new Whelen would have likely also sported a King barrel.

Gerry, Bevan is doing all save for the stock work. He is even supply the blank. I'm given a choice between French walnut and English walnut, so I do have a choice to make.

Back