It Is Going (8X68S)

Very cool. The Springfield 7x64 is a cool mix! Sounds like you have a lot to look forward too.

DrMike":2gqdr1bv said:
Gerry, Bevan is doing all save for the stock work. He is even supply the blank. I'm given a choice between French walnut and English walnut, so I do have a choice to make.

It does sound really nice, I don't think there will be a bad choice between either of them. Have you decided on the twist, a fast twist 7x64 sounds quite appealing.

There's a decent looking 8x68 custom on a Mauser action for sale here in town. I gave it a pretty good once-over and it just wasn't quite my style (a little too "European" in looks & feel for me) and I couldn't figure out what I could do with it, that I couldn't do with my existing rifles.

NEAT cartridge though, for sure. I'm looking forward to seeing this project on completion!

Guy

gerry":1bsjsj17 said:
DrMike":1bsjsj17 said:
Gerry, Bevan is doing all save for the stock work. He is even supply the blank. I'm given a choice between French walnut and English walnut, so I do have a choice to make.

It does sound really nice, I don't think there will be a bad choice between either of them. Have you decided on the twist, a fast twist 7x64 sounds quite appealing.

Gerry,

I'm planning on a nine twist; which should allow me ample rpm to stabilize heavier bullets.

This is what I want in 6.5x68 Schuler

Elegant - High-quality - Safe

The "2165" is the classic K98 with luxury attachments.

a_1202x.png

showthumb.php

Very handsome, Fotis; very handsome indeed. That would be a lovely rifle to carry, for sure.

Guy Miner":3nsfaosq said:
There's a decent looking 8x68 custom on a Mauser action for sale here in town. I gave it a pretty good once-over and it just wasn't quite my style (a little too "European" in looks & feel for me) and I couldn't figure out what I could do with it, that I couldn't do with my existing rifles.

NEAT cartridge though, for sure. I'm looking forward to seeing this project on completion!

Guy

While I understand the 'too European' part, I have no idea what you mean by the 'couldn't do with my existing rifles'....

LOL

Guy Miner":3sl92sja said:

Guy

I dunno'; 7.62X63 doesn't quite have the same ring as 8X68. :grin:

I'm funnin' ya', Guy.

Cute, Kurt. I promise not to talk about a 6.8X63, except in derogatory terms. :grin:

FOTIS":1rq9vgyg said:
This is what I want in 6.5x68 Schuler

Elegant - High-quality - Safe

The "2165" is the classic K98 with luxury attachments.

a_1202x.png

showthumb.php

Fotis, is that a Voere?

DrMike":1wkhgomx said:
I promise not to talk about a 6.8X63, except in derogatory terms. :grin:
Well, Mike, between the Ross, the pair of .280s and the 7X64, you've pretty well got the market cornered on non-belted sevens. And somewhere in there you should find something that works as well as the .270... :)

I've also been intrigued by the 7X64 for a while; unfortunately I already have more 7mms than time. Looking forward to your reports down the road!

Yeah, I need more 7mm firearms. Not. That doesn't mean I won't get them. Talking with my man last evening, I may be changing on the 7X64. It is not out of the question, but there is a possibility that it could morph into a 7X61 S&H or even something bigger. At this point, reamers available can change my perception of what I must have. :grin: It is fun dreaming, however.

Dr. mike.

A 7x66 Vom Hofe. This is that very cartridge Nosler has necked down to .264cal and Calles it a 26Nosler..just compare the cartridge drawings.
Perhaps the 6x62 Freres....a european .240wea.
Or a 6,5x63 Messner...a European .26 Nosler.

Those are, for sure, some fascinating possibilities.

That 7x61 S&H sounds like a cool one too Mike. Not sure what others there are in the 7mm niche you don't have yet!

SJB358":1dpui0rk said:
That 7x61 S&H sounds like a cool one too Mike. Not sure what others there are in the 7mm niche you don't have yet!

I have a few days to make up my mind on this. I'm actually pretty relaxed about it. It hinges in large measure on what reamers are presently available locally; I'm too cheap to pay for a new reamer. Also, I like the idea that properly headstamped brass is available. I see that 7X64 brass is available from Hornady and Norma; and 7X61 Super brass is available from Norma. Dies for the 7X61 S&H and 7X64 are available from Hornady. I've even considered the 275 Rigby; cases are available from Hornady. We've discussed some other cartridges as well (.375 Ruger, .366 Sako, .358 Norma); I will have to make a decision in a couple of weeks. I'm good with about any of these at this moment.

Yeah, a 358 Norma would be real cool as well Mike. I wished I had the time to be ringing my Newton out right now, but it's first up when I get some time.

Back