It only took one more year, but.......

taylorce1

Handloader
Jun 3, 2007
I'm very happy with the end results. I got it back last week from the smith after having the teflon finish applied. I posted about this rifle about a year ago and had some set backs with it before pronghorn season. You can read about that if you want at this link. http://noslerreloading.com/phpBB2/v...ghlight=&sid=60187ff3a65ebaa87d80c86650a842ac

Build is as follows:

M98 Zastava commercial action with set triggers
26" Stainless steel Lilja barrel #5 contour chambered in .25-06
Finish Semi-Gloss Black Teflon by KG Gunkote
Gunsmith Rich Riley of High Tech Custom Rifles
Leupold 1 piece base and standard low rings, Bushnell 4-16X40AO Elite 4200
Stock is a Whitworth take off with Kick-Eez recoil pad installed
I did the refinish on the stock with Minwax Antique oil finsh and polyuerthane sealer

Now for the pictures!
dsc0236.jpg

dsc0229.jpg

dsc0230.jpg

dsc0233.jpg

dsc0235.jpg

dsc0021.jpg

dsc0022.jpg

dsc0229_1.jpg

dsc0231_1.jpg

The medium rings just had the scope a little too high, but now I can’t go all the way to 16 power on my scope and still work the bolt. Decided that I could live without being able to crank the scope up past 14X. More pictures can be found here if interested: http://www.myhostedpics.com/gallery.php?u=taylorce1&g=HTC-25-06
Thanks for looking!

That is a handsome rifle, to be certain. You've done yourself proud. The wood has some great character. Congratulations.

Consequently, it looks much better with the one-piece base and low rings.

Beautiful work all the way around!! I especially like the finish on the stock and the metal look. I'm really liking the looks of the KG Gunkote on several rifles I have seen!

Congratulations! That is a beautiful rifle in a great caliber. Can't wait to see what your groups are like. That 110 gr. AccuBond would be a great one to try! Let us see your results when you are finished..........

taylorce1

She is a beauty!
Looking forward to the range report.

JD338

I don't have any bolt guns in the cabinet,,,,But.
I would be proud to have that one!

Nice :wink:

Dave

taylorce1

What bullet/loads do you plan on shooting in your 25-06?
The 110 gr AB could be your single load for most game.

JD338

DrMike":1eradldw said:
That is a handsome rifle, to be certain. You've done yourself proud. The wood has some great character. Congratulations.

Consequently, it looks much better with the one-piece base and low rings.

The one piece base and rings was always the plan. The Weaver bases were left over from last years hunting season I used them just to get a scope mounted so I could hunt. When I mounted the Bushnell scope the first time all I had were medium height rings, but I wanted pictures with the scope on it.

JD to answer your question I plan on trying most weights over 100 grain. I'll be trying the 110 AccuBond as well as the Partitions and BT offered in this rifle. Last year my most promising groups came with the Sierra PH 117 grain bullet and 4831 the AccuBond didn't do so well. I've got some RL 22 to try as well some other powders this year. I'm not going to rush to hunt with it but spend some time on load development, I've got a 6x47 and .300 H&H that will be my hunting rifles this fall.

If you shoot some deer size game with that beautiful 25-06 and the 117 gr Sierra bullet you just may leave those other rifles to collect dust in the gun rack. The only Nosler bullets that I have not tried in my 25-06 are the 110 AB. They all shot good and the 115 Partition is a real bone smashing killer but in my rifle the 117 Sierra Pro Hunter shoots best and it is much cheaper and it is a real deer killer. 99.9% of the time it drops them in their tracks.
My most accurate load is 49 grs IMR or AA 4350, Rem case, CCI 250 Mag primer, and the 117 Sierra Pro Hunter and averages 3000 fps from my 26" Shilen barrel and will put 5 shots in 3/4" at 300 yards.

it is much cheaper

Man, if I lived in the States, I'd shop the Pro Shop, staying attuned to what passed through the shop so I could pick up seconds. It doesn't seem you can get such quality at such reasonable prices anywhere.

Thanks everyone, I was hoping for a rifle I could enjoy and pass on and I think I achieved it. 6mm talked to me about checkering and I may do that in the future. Right now I'm going to shoot it as soon as I can.

I managed to score some 120 A-Frames and 110 Accubonds on closeout yesterday to try. I should be able to find a bullet that works well. I'll keep you posted when I shoot some groups. I have 30 days to go until my wedding and no time to shoot right now. Most of my days off are so frustraiting with wedding duties that all I want to do is run off and put some lead downrange. :wink:

Well I got out yesterday and was able to put 10 rounds down the barrel. It took 4 rounds to get it on paper. Even with that magnum countour barrel my .25-06 barrel heats up a little fast. I shot these two groups hung over from my bachelor party, I think if I was feeling a little better I could have done this rifle justice. These are Federal factory loads 120 grain Fusion bullet.

tgtgfx.jpg

Those are GREAT groups for a brand new rifle. It is just getting settled in! Great caliber. I am looking towards the 25-06 myself. Good luck when you get your loads together. Again, those are great first groups for a post bachelor party. Plus, slinging some lead always makes things feel better. Scotty

If you can't get to 16x, you might try rotating the scope 90 degrees. Have a BSA on my 10/22 that I had to do this with, and while it looks "wrong" it works.

Beautiful rifle man. Like your finish choices and the lower rings look good. That is sure enough a long distance thumper. Let us know how she shoots. CL

Back