It Was Hard To Make The Break

bullet

Handloader
Dec 26, 2007
I have all my life hunted during muzzloader seasons with a traditional rifle. Most of my hunting for 20 years was with a custom 50 cal ball and patch Kentucky rifle with a 1 in 66 twist flint lock. In fact the last Mule deer I killed was with that rifle at 10,000 feet up on Cline Top in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado. Here is a picture of the mule deer.

IMG_9330-1.jpg

Here are the last two muzzle loaders I have given a lot of time two over the last three years.

45 cal cap lock 1 in 18 twist custom
IMG_8540-1.jpg

45 cal cap lock pistol 16" barrel 1 n 18 custom
IMG_0338.jpg

I do love traditional muzzloading, but had something happen to me last year here in Mississippi where I have refused to hunt with modern muzzle loaders until last year. My friend invites me once a year to hunt his lease but only in muzzle loading season. Now I think he is a friend but every time I go there he puts me on a stand that has a shooting house with a food plot that is 250yds across. Not only that, the deer cross on the opposite side of the food plot from the shooting house. I have had to watch deer including one very nice buck walk across that end of the plot, with no way to take a shot. I did try the first day I hunted that spot last year with my 45 cal but did not hit the deer. He always ask me, "well Mike, did you get him," knowing I was going to see something, and knowing I would more than likely miss if I tried.

Well I decided to change things around. I bought a Knight Elite 50 caliber before he ask me back at the end of the first muzzle loading season. I bought some nice Hornady sabot bullets, Tripple 7 pellets and Tripple 7 primers, topping the rifle with a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40mm scope. I carried it in the same gun case I carried my traditional rifle in the first day of that season and kept it in the case as he dropped me off at that same shooting house so he would not see what I was using. As he drove off he said, "I hope you see something again as he smiled and waved good-bye. Yes, you know what I am fixing to say!!! I saw a doe that morning and ask me if I took the shot this time? YOU BET, and the shot was 210yds, furthest I had killed a deer with any muzzle loader.

He heard the shot and text me on my phone and said, "was that you that shot?" I text back and said, "Yes, and I got her!" Tom text back and wrote, "WOW!! I didn't know that a deer would come out so close to the shooting house?" I text, "She didn't, I shot her at the other end." Tom did not text me back and about eight minutes later I heard him crank up his truck. Yep, he almost came to a sliding stop when he drove up. I stepped out of the shooting house, but left my new Knight Elite in side. He said, "man that was a shot!!!!!" I smiled and said, "not really." Tom said, "what do you mean, not really? That deer is laying over 200yds away and to shoot that far with your traditional rifle had to be luck." I turned and walked back to the shooting house and when I came out with that Knight Elite, I though Tom would not quit laughing. He said, "you turkey." He made me promise not to tell anyone what I did to him for at least a year, and I haven't, I didn't even tell my best hunting friend Jerry, so now I am telling it and sending Tom a link to this thread. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

IMG_0369-1.jpg

IMG_0368-1.jpg

IMG_0371.jpg

IMG_0372.jpg

Very nice Mike! Those in lines are pretty awesome pieces of gear for hunting in the ML seasons. I have an older TC Thunderhawk I need to get out and shoot a little after reading this! Great story. Scotty

beretzs":2o4yrsq5 said:
Very nice Mike! Those in lines are pretty awesome pieces of gear for hunting in the ML seasons. I have an older TC Thunderhawk I need to get out and shoot a little after reading this! Great story. Scotty

Scotty, I will admit that as much as I like the traditional muzzle loader, I do like shooting this Knight Elite inline. It really is a hammer with 150grs of Triple 777 behind a 250gr bullet. It is more fun than I thought it would be.

The modern muzzle loaders are pretty impressive. Good story, Mike.

I built a Thompson 50 cal Hawken from a kit in 1974. Shot a bunch of does up close and personal with round balls back in the day. Now I use my Encore shooting 245 gr powerbelts and 100 grains of Blackhorn. I still have the Hawken and enjoy shooting it but for hunting I use the encore. Love the inlines!

Great story! I have too admit that I got spoiled with my Encore Endeaver, But I still like to get my 50 cal Renegade out at least once or twice during the season.

Back