It's Whelen Time

My 700 CDL isn't bad with the Limb Saver pad. You will notice a big push especially with heavier weight bullets or powder charges. Not bad just noticeable. I think recoil is something you have to learn to handle. I had been doing a lot of bench shooting with a 6BR when I started shooting the Whelen and it took little while to adjust. Anyway, I like my 35 Whelen and I approve of this message. Dan.

Hmmm. I do have a Mossberg patriot 30-06 with a walnut stock that's never really excited me, it could be a good candidate to send to Jess to rebore/chamber. Might be a good way to dip my toes into the Whelen.
Howie we're not that far apart if you'd like to shoot mine sometime. Dan.

Stock design and weight of the firing system play a major role in felt recoil. My Whelen (based on a Ruger Hawkeye) and my former Whelen (a Remington Classic) each had a Limb Saver pad. On firing, neither felt as if recoil was any more than would be experienced with a 300 WSM.
This is it on the nose. My 700 Classic produces sufficient recoil to cause my fingers to go numb after a few shots, depending on the load. It is considerably more severe than my 375 Ruger.

+1 on the twist rate. The Classic has a 1:16 twist, but I haven't seen any issues with 250 grain pills. Woodleigh did make both 275 and 310 grain pills in .358, but they may not momentarily, due to a factory fire. Details on them here: Woodleigh Bullet List and also, I have found this resource to be excellent reading on the 35 Whelen, as well as other 35 caliber options: Whelen Northwoods.

35 Whelen is amazing and will do 100% of whatever you ask of it, short of very long range shooting. Even then, it probably can do it better than I.

Everything you’re thinking of doing is pretty much what I did. I built mine off a Ruger M77 Hawkeye 30-06. I had the action (bolt and rails) smoothed and polished , trigger cleaned up with a stone and lighted. I had a Shilen match grade 1:14” SS barrel put on and replaced the original laminate stock swapped out wit a Hogue overmolded stock. Say what you will about a Houge but it’s still tacky in wet hands and it’s pillar bedded. Not exactly light but it has proven worthy so far. The Whelen as a cartridge is simply ideal as far as I have experienced. It kicks less than you’d expect, reaches farther than you’d expect and hits like a hammer. I load 250 grain Speer Hot Cor and 250 grain Hornady interlock bullets. I’m primarily a WT deer Hunter and Black Bear Hunter and I couldn’t ask for a more ideal cartridge. My rifle is a wee bit heavier than I would like at close to nine pounds but not a real big deal. It turns off lights and ends arguments fast. I built my Whelen because I hunt bears over hounds and the fellas who own the hounds appreciate what it does. One note. I have learned the hard way to be very particular, patient and consistent with my loading with my Whelen. It has a match grade or close tolerance chamber and throat. So I need to be very on top of things when it comes to case length, sizing and crimping. If I’m using 06 brass that has been reformed it sometimes comes up short and doesn’t crimp. My Whelen loads recoil enough for things to move if not crimped and the next round in the chamber will stick the bullet in the lands. Not an issue until you go to eject that round and then you end up with a bullet stuck in the chamber and fifty some grains of RL15 in your action. It will make you bring a cleaning rod and can of compressed air along with on every hunt.

I love the Whelen myself. I’ve had a 1-16 CDL which did pretty well with up to 250’s. I have a 7600 22” Whelen that hammers with 225 Sierras, I’ve got a 7600 Carbine I haven’t even shot yet and an older Tang Safety Ruger that’s been getting a steady diet of 200 TTSXs and 220 Hammers. The Rugers 1-12 twist seems to be a great shooter so far.

22-23” seems about perfect for my 35 Whelens. Heck, I really like how the 7600 carbine feels and can’t wait to try it out some.

I’ve never seen folks complain about a Whelen myself. It is a Mack truck on the old 06 case.

One project I would love to do is a SS Browning BLR rebored or rebarreled to 35 Whelen. To me that would be the ultimate big woods rig for tracking deer and hunting bear over hounds.

"The Rugers 1-12 twist seems to be a great shooter so far."

Just out of curiosity, when did Ruger go to a 1 in 12" twist. I know my tang safety M77 Ruger is definitely a 1 in 16", as is my Remington 700 Classic. My custom Mauser has a 1 in 14" twist. If I ever do another .35 Whelen build, it will have a 1 in 12" twist. FWIW. all three handle bullets up to 250 gr. just fine. I do have some of the long discontinued Hornady 275 gr. bullets but I haven't tried any yet. Just waiting to see if I can find about 100 more. They're only mentioned in the Hornady manual number one No mention after that. Number one was copyright circa 1964 and only mention their data as a courtesy to those who might still have a supply. My best guess is they dropped that bullet back around 1962 or maybe 1963. I have quite a few reference materials but I've never found anything more about that bullet in anything I have on hand. Half the powders in the Hornady manual no longer exist and the only one I thing might worm is 4350. Note that is the way it's shown in that manual, just 4350. Back then only IMR was making 4350 and Hodgden was only getting started with surplus 4895.
Paul B.

Not sure exactly but I have heard the same about the 1:12” twist in the last run Ruger made in 35 Whelen. I have a buddy that owned a SS composite one that would bug hole the old 225 grain TBBC loads.

"The Rugers 1-12 twist seems to be a great shooter so far."

Just out of curiosity, when did Ruger go to a 1 in 12" twist. I know my tang safety M77 Ruger is definitely a 1 in 16", as is my Remington 700 Classic. My custom Mauser has a 1 in 14" twist. If I ever do another .35 Whelen build, it will have a 1 in 12" twist. FWIW. all three handle bullets up to 250 gr. just fine. I do have some of the long discontinued Hornady 275 gr. bullets but I haven't tried any yet. Just waiting to see if I can find about 100 more. They're only mentioned in the Hornady manual number one No mention after that. Number one was copyright circa 1964 and only mention their data as a courtesy to those who might still have a supply. My best guess is they dropped that bullet back around 1962 or maybe 1963. I have quite a few reference materials but I've never found anything more about that bullet in anything I have on hand. Half the powders in the Hornady manual no longer exist and the only one I thing might worm is 4350. Note that is the way it's shown in that manual, just 4350. Back then only IMR was making 4350 and Hodgden was only getting started with surplus 4895.
Paul B.
Paul,
I got my 700 Classic 35 Whelen new back in 1988. Sometime shortly after Ruger offered the M77 in the 35 Whelen and it had the faster twist.
Those Hornady 275 gr bullets sound cool. That load would have the Whelen hitting well above it's league, pretty much 375 H&H territory.

JD338

Back