Keep Check On Your Nosler Brass! Update

MAinAR

Handloader
Feb 26, 2015
Nosler brass for 7 Remington Magnum:

In March 2015 purchased 100 Nosler brass, was excellent quality and weighed 215 grains.
Also had some much older Norma brass that weighed 218 grains. I could load interchangeably either brass with no noticeable difference in speed or accuracy.

In March 2016 purchased 100 Nosler brass and opened them couple days ago to load and the first one I loaded I crunched powder at seating. This caused pause to check brass. Found this batch weighed 256 grains!! Bout passed out!

So on to check h2o capacity.

215 grain brass h2o capacity = 84 grains
256 grain brass h2o capacity = 79 grains (6% difference) I have found that a 4% capacity change = approx 1% velocity change, not even mentioning pressure change! So in my situation I can expect a 1.5% velocity change or approx 50fps.

ALSO 215 grain brass with bullet loaded measures .313 at neck while the 256 grain brass with bullet loaded measures just .309 so also thinner necks. I never used a .307 neck bushing unless I was neck turning back in the day of using Federal brass (oh by the way the old Federals avg weight was 235 grains with h2o capacity approx 78.7 grains)

And head stamps different too, the older 215 grain brass head stamped 7mm (lowercase) but newer 256 grain stamped 7MM (uppercase).

I dug out some 20+ year old Norma brass that where several years difference in age and they weighed from 213 - 218 grains, hmmmm?

Then go to my old Ken Waters manual published 1980 and he listed Norma weighing in 218 grains.

THEN finally got to talk to Nosler customer service yesterday and he seemed less than concerned and stated their brass is made to SAAMI dimensions at the Redmond plant. (True or not have no idea).

One thing seems to be is that it is NOT made by Norma.

I still think it's made by Norma but to Nosler specs. Either way, doesn't make much difference who makes it I guess. Just stinks to lose consistency.

I ran into the same thing with their 264 Win brass a few years back. One load one day was awesome and no issues. Grabbed a few new pieces and locked my rifle up.

Great intel though. I appreciate you posting it up. Keeps me on my toes with new components.

I was at Nosler in Bend last week and they confirmed that they are making some brass in Redmond OR. It is not all made by Norma.

Nosler rep told me I needed to adjust load per accepted load practices, told him I would adjust this batch of brass to the TRASH CAN!!! Did NOT care!

Most concerning was that he didn't care one bit! Very unconcerned! Are you kidding me, you change brass weight by over 40 grains and capacity by over 5 grains and tell me I need to "adjust load"!!! Don't think so, at least if it is NORMA head stamped I don't have to guess who made it and what QC control it has.!!!! Have been a devout Nosler fan and sing praises for 20+ years and this is the response, not happening here!

They need to concentrate on bullets NOT brass! As proven to me!

And no I am not a dumba$$! Just pay attention to what I pay premium $$ for!

I hear you MainAr. I shoot Norma, Lapua, Hornady and Nosler last because I got the same response. Great company but when stuff changes like that it's a pain to recreate what I've already done.

Is the Silver State co they bought in Redmond? The batch of 7mm Rem wasn't equal in quality to the 35 Whelen brass I have but then the 7mm Rem was seconds and packaged by Silver State as marked on the package. The last batch of 225gr 358 bullets I got were also packaged by Silver State and the bags were in rough shape and not what I was use to getting. I think they're having a transition problem with Silver State but still no reason to be rude when a customer asks questions.

SJB358":26wquvpl said:
I hear you MainAr. I shoot Norma, Lapua, Hornady and Nosler last because I got the same response. Great company but when stuff changes like that it's a pain to recreate what I've already done.

Thank you! I don't complain lightly but when paying big money for quality I just expect to get it. Or at least some acknowledgement from the supplier that I PAID! In this situation I did not get either so not mad or upset just move on and not send them any more of my $$! I just have had higher expectations from them for many years and their quality always lived up to it, just not now!

Just bought a 1,000 Norma brass so its a mute point for me just wanted to help others not load something HOT that has always worked for them! At least I have confidence that it was made by NORMA! If turns out to be junk I know they will listen as in the past.

We got to much $$ in some of our arms to lock up a bolt or set back lugs from something we trusted blindly.

Thanks for the heads up, MAinAR. I have bought Nosler brass for several different cartridges lately, will check them out.

Disappointed to read this, mostly from a customer service standpoint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Purchased 100 Norma 7RM brass and last night prepped them up. They weighed on avg 216 - 217 grains and h2o capacity was at 84 grains just like always in past.

This matched the 2015 lot of Nosler brass. Also loaded neck diameter was spot on .313.

Point being...... whew!, no load development required!!

Just not fond of "working" back up a solid .5 moa screamer! Enjoy load development for new components just not to reinvent the wheel on an excellent load.

One thing I've always enjoyed about Norma brass is that their necks come out of the Chute feeling fairly soft.... and they seem to stay that way longer..... whatever their annealing or alloy mix is i think they have it one hundred percent right.
AND... the run-out I get on Virgin loadings virtually Rivals the same runmout as I get on once fired brass using a collet die.
It's not as tough as Lapua..... but in some ways I like it better.
Nosler has a very lofty goal to meet if they're going to match Norma brass.

Back