Keeping Barrels Cool

If you're in that much of a hurry get yourself a O Ring Cleaning Rod Guide from Sinclair International, tap the end for the hose end of a Nitrous Oxide Bottle stainless steel line, and use that to cool down your barrel!!! Some can be found rather cheap for the older ones, 10 Lbs. Bottles are nice, not too heavy, comes out at a -276 degrees if I remember correctly? I used it often on my race car back in the day when I was a serious drag racer, although the filling of Nitrous Oxide is not cheap!

Thanks for all the ideas. lots of good info here. I was worried that I was doing something wrong. I never get in a hurry when I'm at the range and take my time between shots, just never experienced a barrel getting that hot that quick. But this is only the second Magnum rifle I have owned and it's a new experience for me.

truck driver":2o5f4koc said:
Thanks to all who have responded and for the suggestions on keeping a barrel cool. Surprisedly the range doesn't have a rifle rack and I hadn't thought about the stove pipe effect.

Our club doesn't either but someone screwed a few threaded hangers into the polls behind the benches. They stick out about 4" and are vinyl coated. They're perfect for leaning your rifle against while cooling.

I've seen them at Home Depot, Ace, etc. They work great and can easily be removed if necessary.

SJB358":x485a968 said:
Ha, I use a tree around my shooting most of the time!
That's what I do, or the house under the porch, and/or just let it sit on the shooting bench that inside the cabin........ but then again, the shade on the ground using the bipod works just as well.

Most magnums produce a lot of heat when fired, and why I usually only shoot 3 shot groups. The only other time I can't wait around is during a shooting match, and sometimes 10 rounds are going down the tube. But on a little caliber like the 6.5x47 Lapua 10 rounds through a heavy barrel isn't much, but I do see desperation on the very long distance targets over 600 yards with the barrel that hot.

Best thing is to take your time TD.

Back