Keeping your powder dry - what's your secret?

bsmith

Beginner
Aug 26, 2007
This weekend we had a "wintry mix". I stalked around on Saturday in the rain / snow / sleet without getting a shot but did have some fun trailing two does all morning. I removed the primer at the end of the day and put all of my gear in a small bathroom with a dehumidifier to dry overnight. Late Sunday afternoon I passed on a doe, waited to she was well out of the area, and fired the Genesis to empty it. I'm not sure how far the Powerbelt traveled but at least one of the two powder pellets travelled about 30 feet and lay in the snow smoldering. It was about 20 minutes after last shot and it looked like a bad roman candle going off.

What's your secret to keeping your powder dry in these conditions? Do you use electrical tape over the muzzle? I've heard of people using balloons over the muzzle but never actually met anyone who did. I thought the inlines were pretty much impervious to moisture from the breech, maybe they're not? Apparently the Powerbelt doesn't seal the barrel either. Next time I will fire/empty the rifle at the end of the day, completely clean it, and reload fresh in the morning. I guess that's part of why it's called hunting and not called killing...

Tape or balloon over the muzzle works well. I've done both. Learned to "unload" the muzzle loader at the end of the day by firing it into a dirt bank or something near camp. Start with a fresh load in the morning.

I keep my reloads in those little plastic "speed loaders" and keep them in a zip lock plastic bag in a pocket of my vest or jacket. Keep a few primers dry and ready too. Have had the primers fail to ignite the charge a few times over the years, but have never ended up with a charge that wouldn't go. That could lead to a big disappointment!

Good Luck! Guy

With a modern in line, there really isn't too much to worry about here in MI. Usually cold and snowing. I use T/C Bore Butter which I believe acts as a seal between the sabot and the powder charge. As the sabot is pushed down the bore, it picks up some of the bore butter. This acts as a seal from moisture. I leave my ML loaded for the season until I shoot it and have never had a single misfire.
If I was out in a pouring rain, I might reconsider "cleaning out the bore".

JD338

Back