Large Bob Cat and the 358Win

bullet

Handloader
Dec 26, 2007
I went to wolf river for a few hours this morning before it started to rain and saw a very small yearling doe run out about 100yds in front of me. I did not take it because it was not any bigger than a German Shepherd. Then a few moments later out came a big bob cat right where the doe came out.

He stopped at 115yds from me (I ranged it with my range finder) and it turned and looked at me. I guess he could not figure out what I was as I set in a folding chair by a pine tree with and umbrella over me :) I am sure he was very puzzled! I think I would have been also.

He sat on his rear end and stared at me. All I had because of the grass was a small window of the very center of his chest, about a 3 inch circle showing. I put the cross hairs at the bottom of the circle (I am sight 3" high at 100yds) and I pulled the trigger on my 358Win with a 225gr SBT, there was a loud "WHOP!!" and instant death took place.

I did not have my camera with me but the game warden weighted him and he was just bumping 25 pounds. The game warden is as tall as me (6') and when he held it by it's hind legs with his fist shoulder high it's front paw's were right at the ground. I got a picture on my phone camera but I do not have the attachment to down load the picture to my computer.

I let the game warden have him because I can not afford to mount him and the game warden has a friend that would like to mount the cat. :)

Good job, Mike. Bob cats are fun, and they do make beautiful mounts. I'm certain the game warden appreciated the gift. I would imagine that the 225 grain Sierra would do the job rather quickly.

Good job Mike. E-mail the picture to your pc and post it..

POP":3scq9xor said:

I do not have email service on my phone. And if I did I have no idea how to do that. I am an from a different age, I am an analog man not a digital man. I will try and get an attachment from Radio shack that will allow me to down load to my laptop. You can tell my education is not in electronics, computer or programming :lol: :lol:

Mike, glad you were finally able to put that 358 to some use! I have been really wanting to get hunting with my 358, but most of my hunting areas here in Va are shotgun only. Trying to find a spot to get out and get the 358 bloody! Great shot! Scotty

longwinters":ybcamth7 said:
I bet you had a smile from ear to ear. How big was the exit with that bullet?

Long

It was the size of a 50 cent piece. In the middle of the front part of the chest out the back bellow the lungs right through the spin. What is so cool about that 358Win is how accurate it is, you can put the bullet right where you want it to be and that is where it is going to go. Velocity is cool but accuracy insures a quick kill.

As I wrote Greg, you will have no pressures signs with the bore size and the small case capacity with the powders we are burning. You can not put enough powder into the case to create a problem. I also believe this is why the cartridge is so dog gone accurate, it is extremely efficient.

beretzs":i1mtx0wo said:
Mike, glad you were finally able to put that 358 to some use! I have been really wanting to get hunting with my 358, but most of my hunting areas here in Va are shotgun only. Trying to find a spot to get out and get the 358 bloody! Great shot! Scotty

Yeah, it was great to use it and this year ain't over, it has just started. I might get other opportunities to use it. It will be all I use until I collect a deer then I will use the 338Win on some long shots.

bullet":1fc4sr7m said:
POP":1fc4sr7m said:

I do not have email service on my phone. And if I did I have no idea how to do that. I am an from a different age, I am an analog man not a digital man. I will try and get an attachment from Radio shack that will allow me to down load to my laptop. You can tell my education is not in electronics, computer or programming :lol: :lol:

can you send me the picture to my phone?

Outstanding :grin:
Bobcats are neat and the 358 is singing it's siren song to me. I've got one more trip to the range to finalize my load and I'm ready :wink:
Thank you for the load info. and help. I'll let you know how it went.
Greg

Greg Nolan":304skp1d said:
Outstanding :grin:
Bobcats are neat and the 358 is singing it's siren song to me. I've got one more trip to the range to finalize my load and I'm ready :wink:
Thank you for the load info. and help. I'll let you know how it went.
Greg

Sounds great, I can't wait to hear. I am really liking my 358Win, when it comes to reloading, accuracy, consistency form shot to shot and it hits hard. I really think this will be cool, a moderate moving 35 big bullet just doing it's thing.

Heck yeah. You really have a keeper of a rifle and some excellent loads for it. I measured my magazine today on my 358 BLR and I can only get about 2.780 for length. I am kinda stuck with the 225gr Partition or the 225gr Sierra Game King. Not that either is a bad bullet, just wanted to try the AccuBond out in the 358. You lucked out with the Ruger having a longer magazine. Right now I have kind of settled on the 200gr Hornady's and IMR 4198. It shoots pretty well, and it consistent. Plus, it will do a pretty decent job on a deer if it gets the chance. Scotty

Back