Let's buy the perfect out west gun.

wisconsinteacher":3aorgp4v said:
He currently has a Savage 30-06 and he will be shooting factory ammo. His budget is $1500 for rifle/scope.

Being as he has the 30-06 I would stick to something for the deer/antelope. As much as it pains me to say it, a 6.5CM could be a very good choice, good ammo selection pretty much everywhere. 25-06 is a great round but the selection of ammo just isn't on all of the shelves.
As for the rifle find one that he likes and feels good, Tikka, Kimber, Winchester, Ruger, etc. Pick the best quality 3/4-10/12/14x 40-45 scope that fits the budget Leupold, Swaro, Ziess
He maybe able to come across the discontinued Sako A7 roughtech that comes in a Bell and Carlson stock with butt spacers and still be in the budget, Tikka is making one now but the stock isn't a B&C anymore.

From someone who lives out west I would opt for a 300 win mag, scope of your choice, Leupold not at the top of the list, just my .02. 30 cal offers lots of bullet weight choices to fill his needs if he reloads.

Lots of good suggestions already...
I agree that his 30-06 will be just fine for elk if he wants to later and would second the recommendation of the Remington CDL in 25-06 for deer/antelope.
If he wants more power than that in his new rifle, I would also recommend the 7mm Rem Mag as a great choice. 140 gr loads for deer/antelope, and can go with 160/165 gr loads for elk.
Tikka is a good choice...I think the Sako A7 is just a little nicer.

bmoore":2vn51h36 said:
Remington 700 CDL in 25-06

Hey! I had to go check and make sure mine was in the gun safe! :wink:

KaCBvzqh.jpg

Rifle cartridges like the 25-06, 257 Wby, the various 6.5's... Have that light recoil that is conducive to great accuracy, usually a very nice, workable trajectory. Plenty of punch for deer & antelope and can be used for elk as well. Worth considering. I sure like mine, and it pairs very well with his existing 30-06 rifle...

Guy

Guy Miner":31oro8sl said:
bmoore":31oro8sl said:
Remington 700 CDL in 25-06

Hey! I had to go check and make sure mine was in the gun safe! :wink:

KaCBvzqh.jpg

Rifle cartridges like the 25-06, 257 Wby, the various 6.5's... Have that light recoil that is conducive to great accuracy, usually a very nice, workable trajectory. Plenty of punch for deer & antelope and can be used for elk as well. Worth considering. I sure like mine, and it pairs very well with his existing 30-06 rifle...

Guy

Lol yep, your rifle inspired my purchase. 25-06 is a great round, I have been incredibly impressed with it. Lots of performance for little recoil. I will let more experienced people chime in about it used with elk. Seems like a 120 grain Partition at 3,000fps through the lungs would do the trick inside 300 yards though.

wisconsinteacher":qckue1bo said:
My buddy is looking for a new rifle for hunting out west. He wants to deer/antelope hunt but I know elk will happen someday. He is leaning towards a Tikka but doesn't know what caliber.

I told him to buy a 270 because it is a great round and factory ammo is very common. From there put a good scope on it and then buy a good stock because he is 6'4" and has long arms.

What would you recommend for my buddy to buy to make a nice "out west" gun?

I think your right on the correct starting point !!!
I mean you won't be wrong with a 25-06 to 7 mag,
but a 270 Win is the standard you should use judge the others.

A 25-06 will do most everything a 270W will do with 10 gr less bullet wt.
& a 270W will do most every thing a 7M will do with 10 gr less bullet wt.

Now If you decide you want more "power" than the 270W,
Step up to a 300 Mag level. And you should need to go any higher.

Now, see how the 270W is used as a std for your decision.

So I think your looking for a 270W or possibly a 300 Mag.
Both are very common.

Here is an "if I knew then what I know now" perspective.

I started with a .30-06 for all the right reasons, but had to find something "better." Many years and rifles later I know I should have just spent all the money I've spent on "better" rifles on the best .30-06 I could afford at the time, upgraded the optics every 5 years and worked on a variety of loads for anything that moves in North America.

I did end up with what is for me a "better" rifle. A M48 in .280AI. It ticks all the boxes but ammo availability. However, I would be quite happy with a .30-06 knowing what I know now.

Education isn't cheap and the journey is fun. Have your friend acquire that "better" rifle and he can write this same form response in about 30 years.

Whitesheep":7p5sbb1c said:
Here is an "if I knew then what I know now" perspective.

I started with a .30-06 for all the right reasons, but had to find something "better." Many years and rifles later I know I should have just spent all the money I've spent on "better" rifles on the best .30-06 I could afford at the time, upgraded the optics every 5 years and worked on a variety of loads for anything that moves in North America.

I did end up with what is for me a "better" rifle. A M48 in .280AI. It ticks all the boxes but ammo availability. However, I would be quite happy with a .30-06 knowing what I know now.

Education isn't cheap and the journey is fun. Have your friend acquire that "better" rifle and he can write this same form response in about 30 years.

Absolutely! Dad handed me one of the two 30-06 rifles he had when I was a high school kid. My son now uses that rifle. I went through 6mm, 7mm, 30 cal standards & magnums, and even 375's... And finally, a few years ago, got smart enough to go back to the 30-06 for most of my hunting.

It sure was fun (like this year) using other cartridges, but I've never shot anything with all those other cartridges, that I couldn't have shot with the good ol' 30-06...

Guy

Although I dont own one ... the 280ai looks to be the perfect western deer/antelope cartridge. Standard bolt face, light handy rifle, flat and tons of bullet choices from 120-180 grains.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

300 Bee. Perfect for game out West.

Must be in Tikka?

7mm rem mag/300 win.

scope Vortex razor 3x15x40mm LDH or SWFA 3x9

easy

270 Win, 7 Rem Mag, 300 magnum, and about anything in between those. Find a rifle you really like and set up with a scope that dials correctly and you'll be the limiting factor on how far you can shoot likely.

SJB358":260e6jm2 said:
270 Win, 7 Rem Mag, 300 magnum, and about anything in between those. Find a rifle you really like and set up with a scope that dials correctly and you'll be the limiting factor on how far you can shoot likely.

Yup. Don't bite off more cartridge than you can handle. If you need more power, consider a muzzle brake or suppressor.

Having a rifle that fits well, that you're happy with, that you can shoot well... That is so important! A good scope is equally important.

Most of the middle-power mainstream cartridge do just fine, even on elk.

Guy

Guy Miner":2pt8qnfm said:
SJB358":2pt8qnfm said:

Yup. Don't bite off more cartridge than you can handle. If you need more power, consider a muzzle brake or suppressor.

Having a rifle that fits well, that you're happy with, that you can shoot well... That is so important! A good scope is equally important.

Most of the middle-power mainstream cartridge do just fine, even on elk.

Guy

Amen, pick good bullets for about any of them and pay attention to your speed at your max range. Keep em up above 1800-1900 and they’ll expand and chances are they’ll be heavier for caliber a and penetrate real well.

wisconsinteacher":yyjvp8km said:
He likes the 30-06 but wants a new rifle.

Well- #@&&! What was I thinkin! If he needs a new cal. Then 25-06. As was noted he could do some upgrades to the old savage. Take a look at a Boyds Walnut stock or other improved stock w/ bedding block etc. Amazing what the right handle does for your average Savage. SO much nicer to shoot. CL

I completely understand the 'need' for a new rifle....

Not knowing your buddy's likes, we're kind of operating blind, but if I only had an '06 and wanted something deer/antelope class, I'd probably be looking at the .243/6.5 Creedmoor/7-08 class. You mentioned Tikka (which I have absolutely no experience with) but I'd be looking at Winchester EW, used Remington 700, or maybe a Bergara (something else I have no experience with, but they look like decent setups).

FOTIS":3stxw8zb said:
Get a tikka in 7mm mag or 300 win. Done

You’re right about the Tikka but wrong about the cartridge.

7mm-08.

Deer, elk, antelope, all have fallen quickly (surprisingly so, in the case of multiple bulls) to a single well-placed shot.

P

Sure cartridge selection is important and fun, but I think for a first-timer that rifle fit, recoil handling and weight are more important. We all know of rifles that seem to recoil less (or more!) than they should. Some of the newer stocks which allow comb height and length of pull options are quite attractive. There's just no guarantee that a one size fits all really does. EE2

pharmseller":a8jzsy48 said:
FOTIS":a8jzsy48 said:
Get a tikka in 7mm mag or 300 win. Done

You’re right about the Tikka but wrong about the cartridge.

7mm-08.

Deer, elk, antelope, all have fallen quickly (surprisingly so, in the case of multiple bulls) to a single well-placed shot.

P

You're killing me.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Back