Leupold 6x42 competion scope

C.Smith

Handloader
Oct 11, 2006
Anyone used one of these scopes? How would it work at say 500 to 900 yards?

Corey

I have never used this scope but it would be my pick for a fixed power scope. I think 500 yds is fine for 6x but 900 yds may be tough, depending on your target.

JD338

This is the model with target turrets and AO, right? That combination in a fixed 6x scope has never really appealed to me. I think if I were shooting targets with a rimfires, I might think about that one, but otherwise I look for either more Xs or no AO.

I've been hunting with the 6x/42mm obj scope for several years and I think it works GREAT! Low light performance is superb - as good as any of the high dollar scopes I've ever tried. I've taken game out to 400+ yards, and have used it on targets out to 600 yards with satisfaction. Obviously it does NOT have the high magnification many desire.

The 6x target version is in heavy use by those who shoot "Hunter Benchrest" which is limited to a .30 cal rifle and a 6x scope - and those guys shoot incredibly tight groups in competition.

I've seriously considered putting an elevation turret on my existing 6x, or buying the same one you've described and using it on my Green Machine rifle. Due to the low light capability, it might be somewhat superior to the current 4.5-14x. Maybe.

Thanks for the comments. Especially Guy I knew you had the scope and was hoping you had shot at some distance with it. I was out shooting 500, 900, and 1100 yards with friend I think im going to be addicted it was a blast.

Corey

Guy Miner":cm78g3x8 said:
I've been hunting with the 6x/42mm obj scope for several years and I think it works GREAT! Low light performance is superb - as good as any of the high dollar scopes I've ever tried. I've taken game out to 400+ yards, and have used it on targets out to 600 yards with satisfaction. Obviously it does NOT have the high magnification many desire.

The 6x target version is in heavy use by those who shoot "Hunter Benchrest" which is limited to a .30 cal rifle and a 6x scope - and those guys shoot incredibly tight groups in competition.

I've seriously considered putting an elevation turret on my existing 6x, or buying the same one you've described and using it on my Green Machine rifle. Due to the low light capability, it might be somewhat superior to the current 4.5-14x. Maybe.

Makes me feel better about my "Father's Day" present of a 6x42 with M1 turret. Aren't my kids great?

Of course, I ordered it on their behalf. My oldest is 4, and the youngest is 2. But they are very talented artists and entertainers!

That's a nice Father's Day gift, Joel! I wouldn't mind a half-dozen FX3 6x42/M1 elev/LR Duplex scopes myself.

Anyone know what Leupoold charges to put an elevation turret on a scope?

Corey

I think I paid $150ish for a click windage and an M1 elevation, so I think it was $60/$90.

Back