Leupold bases

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
Spoke to them today and evidently the standard bases are NOT recommended for any magnum calibers!

I'm interested in Leupold's reasoning for that. I've had them on a 7mm RM before with no problems. I put a set on a 300 WM for a friend not long ago.

I feel you. Back in the day this set up was the cat's meow! I even had these for a while on my MKV 460 WBY. Held up just fine. Either way that is what the told me today on the phone.

I feel you. Back in the day this set up was the cat's meow! I even had these for a while on my MKV 460 WBY. Held up just fine. Either way that is what the told me today on the phone.

I'd be really tempted to use them anyway. I've also had them on a .338 WM. I bought a set of reverse mounts and rings recently and I see no difference between the old ones and new ones. Keep the screws tight and should be good to go in my opinion.

They said that back in the day the scopes were not these heavy tanks we mount today. If anything is going to give it's the rear screw setup. They suggest the QR rings bases, the Dual dovetail and of course the rail setup.

They said that back in the day the scopes were not these heavy tanks we mount today. If anything is going to give it's the rear screw setup. They suggest the QR rings bases, the Dual dovetail and of course the rail setup.
I didn't think about that.. big scopes are heavier but I don't use those. Most of my scopes are VX III. Good luck with whatever you decide to use..

That's the problem I had with the VX-6HD 3-18x44mm on the 338 RUM. Went with Leupold s recommended PQR and picatinny rail and have had zero issues.

JD338

My 338 WM came with a set that gave me grief. The rear screws were buggered up some and they would allow the ring to twist up after a few rounds. Threw them away and put on a Leupold rail , problem solved.

That makes complete sense. Like many of us I've used the STD base and rings, even on hard-kicking rifles like the 45-70 Marlin, 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag... But... The scopes weren't today's big, heavy scopes. Good point.

Guy

I've been using the Leupold std base/ring set on all of my rifles, from 204 Ruger up to my 338WM, including my 300RUM. Now with my 338RUM, I tried the std base/rings and it destroyed the rear mount & ring within 4 shots. I found some 30mm Talley 2pc ring/base on sale. When I got my 375RUM, it got Leupold DD rings/bases and it's been fine. My 30 & 26 Nosler rifles got the DD rings/bases as well.

... I use Leupold QR rings and EGW Picatinny bases on all my cf hunting rifles ... all of my scopes are Leupolds ...

I just mounted a picatinny rail and PWR rings/VX-3HD 4.5-14x40mm on my daughter's bf Savage 300WSM yesterday. A very solid setup.

JD338

I haven't seen a set of bases with the windage adjustable rear in quite some time. They were recognized as a weak link in the system a long time ago. I think that is what started the double dovetail set's popularity.
Today, I put a Murphy Precision rail on all of my rifles. I use different rings but, overall, I still like the Burris Signature Zee rings. They aren't the most robust rings, but they do work well and can solve a multitude of problems, if needed. And they don't mark scope tubes, which is a big plus IMO.

Back