Leupold Binos?

wisconsinteacher

Handloader
Dec 2, 2010
I am looking for some binos. Right now I am thinking the 8x42 Cascades or the 8x42 Mojaves. Are the Mojaves worth the extra $75? I am going to use them for deer/turkey hunting in WI. I will use them in the hardwoods/looking over ag fields/large swamps. I know some of you may mention other binos and that is great, but could you keep them under $300. Thanks for the help.

wisconsinteacher":1636tska said:
I am looking for some binos. Right now I am thinking the 8x42 Cascades or the 8x42 Mojaves. Are the Mojaves worth the extra $75? I am going to use them for deer/turkey hunting in WI. I will use them in the hardwoods/looking over ag fields/large swamps. I know some of you may mention other binos and that is great, but could you keep them under $300. Thanks for the help.

WT, how much are a set of 8x42 Minox's right now? The pair I have are REALLY good, but I am not sure how much they go for without buying a scope. Mine rival my Zeiss Victorys.

You would like the Minox, likely finding them superior in clarity to the Leupold.

WT

Buy the best you can afford.
Better lens and coatings will allow you to see in low light conditions.

JD338

All of the Leupolds under the Hawthornes are made with Chinese sourced lenses and components. I do not think that the value is there (my opinion). I would start with Minox. I sold my Blue ring (Czech glass) Wind River, Leupold's when I bought my Zeiss Classic's and Leupold announced that all binoculars under Gold would be Chinese. The Gold's used to be made by Leitz (Leica).

Best deals going on the Minox are at CameralandNY. Check their Minox demo list. You can get the BL line for $290-370 depending on which model you'd like. Here's the 8x44:

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/minox.pl?page=62195

For $330, that's a song! I bet Doug would throw in a pair of the BF 8x42 BR series he's offering for $.01 with a Minox scope purchase, though he might not with the open box and show demos. Worth asking, though, when you call.

The bino's for a penny deal is not valid on open-box or demo models, only new-in-the-box items. I asked. :)

The Minox 10x44 looks impressive, so does the price.
About 1/3 the price of the Meopta Meostar B1 I have.

JD338

I did some looking and found them for $211 shipped. That is the Minox 8x42s. I need to sell a few things and then I can pull the pin.

I have a new pair of BX-2 Cascades 10x42 which I got for a gift last Christmas. I'm very happy with them so far. They easily outperform the Monarch ATB's and Bushnell Legend and are neck to neck or just behind the Zen-Ray ED2s that were at elk camp this year. I wouldn't have bought them and was leaning towards the Zen Ray ED3s but I'm pleasantly surprised with their quality. Not a top-notch optic but definitely usable.

These are made in Japan.

wisconsinteacher":3c74tncy said:
I did some looking and found them for $211 shipped. That is the Minox 8x42s. I need to sell a few things and then I can pull the pin.

I wished I was home, I would send you my pair to try for a few weeks WT. You wouldn't want to give them back. They are awesome glasses in the woods. I swear they are as good optically as my Zeiss Victory's.. Maybe I got lucky, they are awesome for the money I paid for them. A few of us guys on here have looked through them and said the same thing.

I think so. I am not home right now, but I will check when I return home. Pretty sure that is the pair though.

JD338":wpkyyee7 said:
The Minox 10x44 looks impressive, so does the price.
About 1/3 the price of the Meopta Meostar B1 I have.

JD338

I have a pair of Minox 8x42's in my possession, and while they are good, I would not rate them on par with my 7x42 Meostar B1's. It's very apparent to my eye. But that's just me.....other's will vary, of course.

When you consider the Cabela's Euro, which is a B1 bino, is now on sale for 550, they are a good optic at a good price.

Off track- but would you recomend 10x or 8x for hunting etc out on the flats and in the woods? Minox's look good but still spendy for this "average guy". CL

cloverleaf":1xmy8kaw said:
Off track- but would you recomend 10x or 8x for hunting etc out on the flats and in the woods? Minox's look good but still spendy for this "average guy". CL

Because you threw in woods, I'd lean toward 8X. 10X are fine for extended glassing when you're able to steady yourself. For looking around, the lower power makes more sense.

The reason I am looking at 8x is due to the fact that I do hunt on the edges of fields that are a few hundred yards long in the spring for turkeys and in the fall for deer. If I did not hunt in those areas, I would look at a 6x for in the woods. The Minox I am looking at range from 212-225 online. It is a little spendy but I have used 70 binos and they stink. I hope to make my order soon. I just hope they are better than the Mojaves. I do not have a store near me to look at the Minox so I am going to find an online store that will allow 30 day returns. That will give me time to look through them during low light times.

I have always used 8X and 10X binoculars even in bushy areas where I can't see more than 40 yards. The reason: to see an ear of ear of time from an antler. I have killed a lot of deer just because something did not look right and I managed to pick up maybe an ear and later horns in some heavy cover. Or see a hoof under the cover and try and find the rest of the deer?

Back