Leupold Ultmate Slam.....Reviews please....is it worth $240?

cloverleaf

Handloader
Sep 10, 2006
Its a little more than I want to spend.....and they have a "busy reticle" I'm not overly fond of, but w/ my points and a coupon I could get it for under $200. The guy behind the counter claim VX-III quality glass. It will probably end up on a 12 ga sug gun. I dont like the Rifleman Slug gun Heavy reticle and question the durability of the cheaper scope. Thoughts appreciated. CL

I had the 2x7 on my 45-70 CL. It was a good scope, nice glass for sure. I didn't like the center circle around the reticle. The dots below the crosshair were nice for shooting further, but again, I couldn't get past the circle around the crosshair.

It sounds like a pretty good buy, CL. I wouldn't be distressed to have that scope on my slug gun.

It is not VX3 glass, maybe VX2 equivalent and parallax is set for 50 yards but with a shotgun that is not an issue. Guys behind gun counters are not very up on optics many times. I have a VXII scope that I have had for many years and it still functions fine. Mine was rebuilt by Leupold a couple years ago under warranty.

Troy,

Its Leupold quality and warrenty that you are getting. It is designed to be used on a slug gun so it will hold up over years of use. The VX-2 scopes come with Multi Coat 4 lens coatings which used to be offered on the old VX-III scopes so they are pretty bright. The 2-7x33mm has a MSRP of $314.99 and the 3-9x40mm has a MSRP of $339.99.

JD338

I have the 3-9 on my inline . I emailed Leupold asking about it . IIRC they told me it is a one piece tube , VXII glass , and VX3 turrets . the drop reticle works well , I don't see the need for a 50 yard aim point though . I think it's a decent scope , I'd buy it again . Jim

Thanks Guys, for the replies-
Unfortunately the throttle Body has crapped out on my daily driver- a 1986 Chev Caprice. Yesterday when I went out to work on it, I noticed a serious abrasion on the lower radiator hose.... just starting to weep. So, I got the lower hose replaced. the oil changed and the front end greased. (once I get down there I tend to want not to get up again, so I do as much as I can) The throttle body will have to wait....as will the scope. Life has a way of ordering your priorties.....Probaoly a good deal. It will have to wait. CL

Back