Different levels of Accuracy.

Antelope_Sniper

Handloader
Jan 25, 2008
This was originally posted to under another topic, but I thought is deserved it's own thread:

What is the Accuracy progression?
You are never more accurate then your weakest link. Much of the discussion within the shooting community revolves around taking the accuracy potential of our equipment to the next level. Here's my basic vision of the basic evolution shooters equipment and reloading techniques as go through as they go from beginner to world class expert. This is not fixed in stone, and you will see cross over between levels. In addition, with increased quality of factory firearms and premium ammo, and premium brass, these lines are becoming even more blured. Considering how we all have limited gun money, but wish to get the most out of out equipment, I hope this can help some member be efficent with some of that spending. I welcome comments where others think this outline can be improved.

Level Zero: Expected accuracy: 1 1/2 to 3 inches....or worse.
Out of the box standard quality factory gun, standard factory ammo, cheap Chinese scope with parallax.

Level one: 1" to 1 1/2" or better.
Rifle: Out of the box gun, trigger adjusted, barrel free floated, recoil pad added. These are all simple low cost adjustments within the capabilities of the typical fixer-upper. Many of these upgrade and adjustment are now common on many factory guns.

Scope: $150-$250. Parallax free at typical hunting ranges. Leupold rifleman to Leupold VX II

Ammo: Premium ammo, or Beginning reloader. Equipment consists of the typical kit, such as an RCBS rockchucker kit with standard dies. He's reloading factory fired cases, every box of cases if from a different lot, if not different brands. All cases are full length resized. The loader experiments with different components, power, bullets, and primers for accuracy. An advanced level one loader may try to only buy loaded ammo of the same manufacture.

Level Two: Expected accuracy, 5/8"-1" or better.

Rifle: As level one, plus a bedded action. and/or upgraded stock, drop in trigger. These are still relatively simple adjustments that take a little more skill or money. Some rifles, such as the Tikka T3, and Weatherby Vanguard Sub MOA rifles are effectively at this level out of the box, althought the Weatherby's may benefit from a drop in trigger.

Scope: Parallax adjustment $250+ Leupold VXII to VXIII+, or Leupold Mark 2 for the distance shooter.

The level two loader attempts to squeeze everything they can out of stock equipment. This level is highlighted by advanced case prep, and advanced usage of standard equipment. The level two loader will buy bulk brass, all of the same lot number, weight sort, and debur the flash holes. If you purchase Nosler Custom Brass, this work is already done for you, but I would still match lot numbers. They will use advanced sizing techniques, such as the partial full length size, and begin adjusting COAL. The loader may use standard neck sizing dies. New equipment should include a chronograph. At this level you ammo may surpass the quality of the average hunting rifle.

Level Three: Expected accuracy: 1/4-1/2 inch, or better.
This level is about getting everything to line up perfectly with the bore.

Rifle: Rifle is rebarreled with a custom barrel, action is printed (action squared, bolt face squared, lugs lapped) This is mated to a high quality stock such as an HS Percision, McMillian, ect. An out of the box rifle in this catagory would be the Nosler 48.

Scope: $400.00+ such as Leupold VXIII to Leupold Mark 4 or better. Depending on the shooting style, the optics may become more specialized and include mil-dot, tmr or other advanced reticles, target knobs ect.

Ammo: In order to get everything to line up perfectly, we begin using benchrest/competition die set, and advanced case prep. This usually includes benchrest/competition dies sets, Bushing style neck sizing dies and neck turning. This level is also highlighted by concentricity and runout gauges.

Level 4: World Record Class. Expected accuracy: .005" To be competative today, you need to shoot 5 consecutive, 5 shoot groups with an aggregate group size of .025" or better.

Rifle: Purpose built target rifle. Single shot action, such as a Remington 40xbr, Nesika, Stole, or other $1000+ action. Top of the line custom barrel, Lilja, Kriger, Lawton, Chanlin ect. These rifles may include a tight throat, and tight neck. They may be out of SAMMI spec and unable to fire over the counter ammunition. The loader may actually do all the above described case prep to create a dummy round, with the anticipated preferred bullet and COAL to provide to the gunsmith before he even begins work on the rifle. Cartridge will be selected for accuracy, usually short and fat, 220 Waldog, 6mm PPC, 6.5x284, .308, .338 Lapua. The typical bench gun is not pratical for any type of hunting other then shooting prarie dogs, which really is alot of fun.

Scope: Special purpose target scope, desigened for a specific comeptition. For bench rest shooters they are typically fixed power, high magnification, 20-45x, with 1/8 moa adjustments, with excellent glass. An example would be the Leupold competion series which range from $600-1000 in price.

Ammo: You may also see arbor presses (sometimes they come earlier), and these shooters may use custom bullets from small houses.

Level 5: Expected accuracy: What ever the new world record would be.

Is there really a level 5? I don't know, but you could begin swaging your own custom bullets:
http://www.corbins.com/

Antelope_Sniper

Nice write up!
My 280 AI is a Level Three and is a joy to shoot. I hope to have a second rifle at this level soon.

JD338

great writeup! I guess that I am a level 3... Just like the WBYs too much, but man does that 300 RUM shoot the loads that I do for a friend!
Hardpan

For big game hunting there no need to go past level 1.

For longrange varminting I would say level 3.

That's what my intention was about the "accuracy" post, but for now, due to finances.. I stuck with what I have.

Stock Savage 11 .243 winchester with an accutrigger set at 2.5 pounds, free floating 1:12 twist McGowen varmint stainless barrel, Bushnell 3200 elite 5-15x42 scope.. which I used a Leupold colluminator to sight.

Lapua brass
Nosler 55,70 grain bt's
CCI 200
H4831

Rest... sandbags

Achieve .25" groups at 100 yards and 1" at 300 but not every time.

I suppose that set up, my rifle at level 3, would be in order first before I go any further with loading techniques. I would rather skip level 2, coz you stated ammo may surpass the quality of the average hunting rifle.

So by setting up to level 3 I could dramatically improve groups?

Sniper,

I appreciate the post and the more so since it comes from someone who has walked the walk. Thanks for the insightful write-up.

That was very interesting. I guess I have a long way to go, I am in that level 2 area.

Blessings,
Dan

Antelope Sniper - interesting thread. Thought provoking.

The only disagreement I have is that "accuracy" is measured downrange, not in dollars & hours spent or in big name equipment used.

I do have a rig that would fall in your "level three" and I load for it with an arbor press and Wilson dies as in your "level four" but I won some matches and placed well in others when it was a factory built Rem varmint rifle and I was using either factory match ammo or my own stuff assembled on a good old Rockchucker w/standard RCBS dies.

I contend that the weakest link in the accuracy chain is the shooter. Learn to shoot well, and a shooter can pull off some very impressive feats with a factory rifle, perhaps with a few simple mods such as a trigger job and free floating the barrel. If a guy can't shoot well, somebody with such a rig might just make the expensive 40X's and others look pretty silly by the end of the day. I've done just that with my good old Rem 700 VS, which I bought used.

Mind you, I'm not and never have been a benchrest competitor. I've competed in NRA Highpower as well as a variety of different "tactical" matches where the shooter is a bigger factor than the equipment for the most part. Have also done a lot of varmint hunting over the years, and in recent years I've been doing a fair bit of "big game" hunting.

Here's a photo my hunting partner took of me just two days ago up about 7,000' - 8,000' in Wyoming. I'd just taken a mule deer doe at 400 yards (laser read 390 on the rock in front of her) with a single Berger VLD through her heart and lungs. Ammo was loaded on Wilson dies and an arbor press, but other than a trigger job, the rifle is as Remington built it, a standard 700 CDL sporter with a mere 6x Leupold.
IMG_2290.jpg

It took a good rifle, but not an extraordinary one, to make that shot. It took good ammo, but likely not BR quality ammo to make that shot. It took a good scope, but not a $1000 scope to make that shot. What it also took was a guy who has used his rifle and can make the shot, with modest equipment. I knew where that bullet was going, even at 400 yards across the canyon.

I'll stick with "accuracy" being measured downrange, either in the field or on the target range, rather than in the quantity of dollars spent and hours spent, or being able to drop big names of custom makers when in conversation. Beware of that quiet young man over there, fresh out of the service, and what he can do with his Tikka... Or that ranch kid who shoots varmints all summer long, every summer, with his Savage varmint rifle, or that NRA highpower competitor with a factory built Service rifle, who hammers out 5,000 rounds of ammo from 200 - 600 yards every year... Or the smallbore competitor who runs through thousands of rounds of rimfire fodder annually. Those guys can shoot.

Regards, Guy

Guy ask Br gunsmith can you build a rifle for me to shoot in the .0's gunsmith ask can you shoot in the .0's.

You can do every trick in the book in prepping a case but you still have to shoot it and be able to tell what you did to that case effected that group.

Conditions will beat you more than your rifle. 1987 Super Shoot won with groups in the .2's and .1's used Hall,Rem,X-P,Hart,Wichita and Stolle action. 22 yrs later same size groups are winning maybe alittle smaller.

When I started BR we had a way to select match cases may start with 50 then get 15/20 and 30/40 case last the barrel. The old Sako Russian case had pretty weak primer pockets and Skip Otto use to bushing them for you and I'm still shooting some of those cases.

Weaver,Leupold March and even Sightron scopes places 2009 IBS 2009 National so you can use a $400 36X Weaver.

If I had a rifle that was shooting in the .2' and 1" at 300yds whatever your doing keep doing it if those aren't repeatable groups thats another thing. Not sure how this picture will turn out

IMG_0902.jpg
[/img][/url]

Guy, 30-338.
Thank you for your contributions, I really appreciate it. Your are both correct about the need for practice, the effect of shooting conditions, and the shooter often being the weak link. Many shooters wait for a nice day, go out and shoot from a bench at 100 yards. They sight their rifle in, and want to save the rest of their precious Premium ammo for hunting. Most years, I spend some time at our club as a range office during the public sight in days. We run it September to October. It's amazing how may shooters haven't fired a single round since the last hunting season, let alone practiced standing, kneeling, sitting, or prone, in wind, or at distance.

Guy, if I remember correctly, a while back (I think more then once) you post groups under an inch at 300 yards. No bench, no sandbags, just the Green Machine, and a sling. Yea, it's a great rifle, but doing it with just a sling? Now that's impressive.

Yeah, if I could shoot like that consistently, I'd be doing better in competition too! :grin:

Interesting thread. I'm with A_S on this one. I myself put so much emphasis on load development and rifle accuracy, and less on markmanship. It should be balanced. Prior to our hunt in RSA, I made a mistake of not practicing enough field shooting. I should have known better. This is not the type of hunting that I'm used to. On the first day of the hunt, when we were zeroing the rifle and practicing shooting at different situation, I had this feeling of anxiety and I began to panic. The PH have us shoot at the lifesize paper target of an animal showing the vitals, at different distances. I did fine but I began to question my shooting ability. I'm glad it turned out okay. At the end of the hunt, I was complimented by the PH about my shooting ability, putting me at the top three of the best shooter he ever guided. Little did he know.

Well after all these years and all kinds of custom rifles, high end rifles, shooting events and competition, hunting in all kinds of conditions here is my most accurate rifle, scope and load to date -
this kind of puts all my years in perspective.

Ruger Hawkeye 358Win out of the box no work, VX-III 1.5-5x200, Sierra 225gr SBT.
IMG_8033.jpg

225gr Sierra SBT, Win brass, AA2495BR, Fed 210primers
IMG_8013.jpg

Three shot group .005"
IMG_8050.jpg

Average five shot group
IMG_8192.jpg

How does it make me feel after all these years of work and for this out of the box Ruger Hawkeye 358Win, with a medium priced scope -
shoot so well consistently?

profilepic2261_12.jpg

Well, maybe not this stupid looking but you get the idea.

Guy Miner":26x2mobe said:
Antelope Sniper - interesting thread. Thought provoking.

The only disagreement I have is that "accuracy" is measured downrange, not in dollars & hours spent or in big name equipment used.

I do have a rig that would fall in your "level three" and I load for it with an arbor press and Wilson dies as in your "level four" but I won some matches and placed well in others when it was a factory built Rem varmint rifle and I was using either factory match ammo or my own stuff assembled on a good old Rockchucker w/standard RCBS dies.

I contend that the weakest link in the accuracy chain is the shooter. Learn to shoot well, and a shooter can pull off some very impressive feats with a factory rifle, perhaps with a few simple mods such as a trigger job and free floating the barrel. If a guy can't shoot well, somebody with such a rig might just make the expensive 40X's and others look pretty silly by the end of the day. I've done just that with my good old Rem 700 VS, which I bought used.

Mind you, I'm not and never have been a benchrest competitor. I've competed in NRA Highpower as well as a variety of different "tactical" matches where the shooter is a bigger factor than the equipment for the most part. Have also done a lot of varmint hunting over the years, and in recent years I've been doing a fair bit of "big game" hunting.

Here's a photo my hunting partner took of me just two days ago up about 7,000' - 8,000' in Wyoming. I'd just taken a mule deer doe at 400 yards (laser read 390 on the rock in front of her) with a single Berger VLD through her heart and lungs. Ammo was loaded on Wilson dies and an arbor press, but other than a trigger job, the rifle is as Remington built it, a standard 700 CDL sporter with a mere 6x Leupold.
IMG_2290.jpg

congrats guy, thats a helluva shot.
ask me to stand on my hind legs and make a 400 yard shot, can't see it happening, congratulations!!!
RR

Back