LH 358 Win

Blkram

Handloader
Nov 25, 2013
After years of having a stainless/wood LH 358 Win bolt action on the Bucket List, I have finally finished the quest.

I had picked up a LH Rem 700 someone had built on a DM stainless action, but had altered a RH Rem 700 stock to LH and then painted it. The barrel is a 22" McGowan SS w/ 1:12 twist.

I took it into the gunsmiths at the LGS and had them install a NECG barrel banded front sight and a ramped rear sight.

The gunsmith noted that the DM magazine would not feed the 358 Win shells. The person who built the rifle had not checked the magazine or the action for feeding. The Rem 700 DM magazine is not built to feed 358 shells, but works fine with 308 shells. The angles for the shoulder and neck dimensions are not as interchangeable as they had thought. We swapped out the DM for a BDL magazine box and floor plate, and opened up the feed rails for the 358. Feeds fine now.

I ordered a Boyd's AA Claro Walnut stock with a 14" LOP and a LimbSaver recoil pad. The stock has been glass and pillar bedded.

I mounted a Leupold VX-5HD 2-10x42 FireDot scope with Alumina scope caps in Leupold QR rings and bases.

Finished weight is 9 lbs 2.6 oz.
Rem 700 LH 358 Win 1.jpg

Now to wait for some warmer weather to get out to the range and sight it in, and test some loads for accuracy. I have both Winchester 200 gr Power Point and Silver Tip ammo to try, along with Hornady 200 gr Interlock ammo, HSM 225 gr SGK ammo, and Buffalo Bore 225 gr SGK ammo to try. For handloads, I also have 200 gr FTX and AccuBonds, and 225 gr AccuBonds to experiment with..

Last edited:
Beautiful rifle Gil, congrats.
Looking forward to hearing how she shoots for you.

JD338

Congratulations on a very nice rifle. It is nice to hear that you have a friend who could correctly diagnose the the issues and take to to the finish line. Will look forward to seeing your test results. Regard, Rol

Very nice, and I like the blued metal sights on the stainless steel. Boyd sent you a nice looking stick for the barreled action to set in.
I'm right handed and I think I could shoot that setup with no problem.
As a matter of fact if not for the boarder problem I would suggest you send it to me and I could sight it in for you since the weather is starting to look good here on the right coast of the USA:rolleyes:;):)

Very nice, and I like the blued metal sights on the stainless steel. Boyd sent you a nice looking stick for the barreled action to set in.
I'm right handed and I think I could shoot that setup with no problem.
As a matter of fact if not for the boarder problem I would suggest you send it to me and I could sight it in for you since the weather is starting to look good here on the right coast of the USA:rolleyes:;):)
Yeah, but then you would be tempted to start shooting left handed and I would never see it again! :LOL: (After all, left handed shooters, are in their right minds!)
And your 35 Whelen AI would be jealous!:rolleyes:
Don't know that I could do that to one of your favourite rifles!;)

That is quite a stunning rifle. Too much scope for my taste on something like that, but that's just a me thing. Still looks amazing.

Yup- that there is a very handsome rifle. You'll have to let us know how she shoots. Hope you can enjoy! CL

That is quite a stunning rifle. Too much scope for my taste on something like that, but that's just a me thing. Still looks amazing.
My BLR in 358 Win wears a Leupold VX-III 1.5-5x20 and has provided over 20 years of good service on that rifle. As the 20" barrel on that lever action only produces 2209 fos with the Speer 220 gr Hot Cor FP, and I can hit fist sized rocks with the cross hairs still on the rock at 250 yards, it has proven reliable in the field on many hunts, taking several elk, moose, mule deer and backed up DrMike's 356 on his grizzly bear. It has also been a great back up rifle for guiding, and archery hunts, and spent many a mile in a saddle scabbard and on the atv. There have been moments where more magnification may have been nice to have, but the slim little scope just suits the BLR so well!

With this build and a longer barrel, I felt that I wanted a little more scope, and something with an illuminated reticle. I had originally bought this VX-5HD 2-10 x42 FireDot scope for my 338 Federal, but replaced it after acquiring a VX6-HD 2-12x42 with illuminated B&C reticle. As the 358 Win doesn't carry the velocity and energy out past 300 yards that the 338 Federal does, I figured the 2-10 with FireDot would be better suited to the 358. As a great brush cartridge, the 2 power and 42 mil objective will provide a great field of view for hunting bear and moose in the dark timber that doesn't require a B&C reticle, and the FireDot will show up great against dark hide in thick shadows or at first/last light. It is also a very bright scope which will provide great low light performance, allowing for extra minutes of use when other scopes are no longer able to define features. (Pardon the pun, but there is literally night and day difference between the Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36 scope and this VX-5HD 2-10x42 scope side by side at last light when trying to resolve targets in the thick brush). Having 10 power still provides ample magnification for target shooting and load development. And as the rifle isn't a lightweight to begin with, the extra half pound of scope weight wasn't a concern on this set up. Overall the balance is good, and it is till handy enough to maneuver quickly in tight quarters...but if I need handier, the BLR will be pressed into action for tracking wounded game where the lever will give faster follow up shots if needed. (The BLR is usually the back up rifle that goes everywhere with me for such duty and as a camp gun, when I do not take the 12 gauge)

If I find that it isn't performing quite as well as anticipated, I can mount my Trijicon AccuPoint 3-9x40 with Green Dot, or keep my eyes open for another Leupold VX-R 2-7x33 FireDot scope (mine is currently mounted on my Marlin 375S in 375 Win).

My BLR in 358 Win wears a Leupold VX-III 1.5-5x20 and has provided over 20 years of good service on that rifle. As the 20" barrel on that lever action only produces 2209
Good insight, thanks. Gives me some things to think about for my own rifles; always good to get a different perspective.

Back