Non Traditional Rifle for me...

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Good grief:
4FVu2P5h.jpg

Story will be coming out within a few weeks. Sneak preview of my very odd looking rifle...

It was already pretty far out of my norm when I hunted with a Bergara Carbon Ridge rifle this year. Muzzle brake, carbon wrapped barrel and in 6.5 Creed, with a pretty big Leupold scope perched on top.
COt4Wx4h.jpg

Then the Boyd's stock arrived... Crazy yellow & gray laminate... And the only rifle we had available to fit it was my short-action Bergara! Well, okay then, let's dress up the Bergara. The stock had aluminum pillars, and we just popped my rifle in there and torqued it to 55 inch pounds. Functions perfectly. We just did some informal shooting, ringing steel, no real accuracy testing. The rifle has been capable of 1/2" three-shot groups at 100 yards, but I haven't been that consistent with it. I think because the factory stock is a bit flexy and the comb is too low for a proper cheek weld, for me anyway. This wild looking Boyd's At-1 stock fixed all that. It's quite rigid. The barrel is free-floating. The adjustable comb is comfortable and puts my eye right behind the scope.

Okay - it looks pretty wild and I've found myself calling it "Bumblebee." :) Will I hunt with it? Yes.

I'll let ya know more about how it shoots later. Meanwhile - it's pretty crazy looking next to all my walnut & blued steel rifles...

Guy

Maybe I’ve been on the ‘Fire a little bit too much perhaps but I question why preferring walnut/steel/low-end variable or fixed power scopes means that one has to hate setups like yours pictured here. Conversely, just because you have a 14 pound target rifle with the Hubble telescope sitting on top it doesn’t mean you can’t respect the classic designs. I like mostly all guns. We all have our favorites but just like sports cars, one can love a Mustang or a GTO while still appreciating the speed and lines of a Lambourgini or a Viper.

Shooters gotta stick together if any of us are to have a future.

Any hunts planned for Bumblebee?

It was supposed to go the other way and you getting Gavin to go with classic rifles! Just kidding lol. He did get a beautiful Mk V in 270 Wby though which is good, now he just needs to get a No 1 or 1885.

Your Bumblebee looks good though and sounds like it is a better fit for you.

Good grief:
4FVu2P5h.jpg

Story will be coming out within a few weeks. Sneak preview of my very odd looking rifle...

It was already pretty far out of my norm when I hunted with a Bergara Carbon Ridge rifle this year. Muzzle brake, carbon wrapped barrel and in 6.5 Creed, with a pretty big Leupold scope perched on top.
COt4Wx4h.jpg

Then the Boyd's stock arrived... Crazy yellow & gray laminate... And the only rifle we had available to fit it was my short-action Bergara! Well, okay then, let's dress up the Bergara. The stock had aluminum pillars, and we just popped my rifle in there and torqued it to 55 inch pounds. Functions perfectly. We just did some informal shooting, ringing steel, no real accuracy testing. The rifle has been capable of 1/2" three-shot groups at 100 yards, but I haven't been that consistent with it. I think because the factory stock is a bit flexy and the comb is too low for a proper cheek weld, for me anyway. This wild looking Boyd's At-1 stock fixed all that. It's quite rigid. The barrel is free-floating. The adjustable comb is comfortable and puts my eye right behind the scope.

Okay - it looks pretty wild and I've found myself calling it "Bumblebee." :) Will I hunt with it? Yes.

I'll let ya know more about how it shoots later. Meanwhile - it's pretty crazy looking next to all my walnut & blued steel rifles...

Guy
You will wear it well.

The older i get the more I see what is coming out in new rifle, is making me appreciate Blue Steel and Walnut. Yea Guy you will need some sunglasses as it’s bright. TC enjoy as we can like something different.

I like it. I was so happy when gun manufacturers realized there were more colors then black, brown, blue, and stainless. Don't get me wrong, I love the classics, but I think the industry spent wayyy too long in the 'Model T' mindset.

The only thing I can think of is "float like a butterfly, sting like a bee....". You are correct, it better shoot, cause subtle it ain't. That's ok. You know beter than most, its gotta fit! That should work. BTW thanks for supporting the home town team (Boyds)! Im thinking about building another 250. Budget dictates cheap- so maybe a Savage axis rebarreled, but that would REQUIRE a stock swap, as I HATE the plastic ones Savage is selling. A cheaper Boyds laminate is definately under consideration.

Sorry- your stock does look good! If its comfortable, adjustable and has pillars from the factory, you could do a lot worse. CL

My wife said "I need my sunglasses to look at it."

My youngest son just laughed. A lot!

I figure that it better shoot really well, 'cause it's going to attract attention when I set it up on the bench at the gun club... Whoo boy...

Guy
Guy, I saw one like this at the range this fall only red. The owner said it was performing well. Hope yours does everything you want it to. Dan.

Nice. I don't understand the Boyd stock you said it arrived but the only thing it fit was the bergara was that on purpose or what??
Not on purpose. We ordered that At-1 stock for a different rifle. It came with the wrong inletting. Rather than send it back, I suggested to Gavin that we pop it on my Bergara. He thought that was a great idea. The rifle looks crazy now, but the stock feels a lot better to me than the original synthetic stock.

Guy

Back