Leupold VX-II 1x-4x vs. VX-III 1.5x-5x for Dangerous Game

7mmfan

Beginner
Dec 14, 2004
Okay let's hear it. Which one is better for Dangerous Game? They both are very similiar and only differ $100 in price from Cabelas. Looking just at the technical stats, I have to give the advantage to the 1x-4x because it has a much larger field of view at both ends of the magnification spectrum.

Brad

I too would like to hear from anyone with experience comparing these two scopes. I am looking into the VX-2 1-4 for a .350 Rem Mag, but would consider being swayed toward the VX-3 1.5-5 via valid arguments. 1.6-4.2 is Leupold's listed 'actual' magnification for the VX-2 and it's 1.5-4.5 on the VX-3 with slightly differing fov. I suppose what I'm looking for is this: Is the Clarity of the VX-3 worth the $100 being that the magnification and fov are so close?

From what I can tell on the specs, the 1x-4x defintely has the advantage in field of view. It has a 75 ft FOV(low) and 28.5 ft FOV (high) comapred to the 1.5x-5x's 66 ft FOV (low) and 23 ft FOV (high). I know FOV is very important to me at the lowest setting as the scope is going on my brown bear/cape buffalo rifle. However, the 1.5x-5x defintely has the advantge in eye relief. It has a range of 5.3 - 3.7 inches compared to 4.3 - 3.8 for the 1x-4x. Now this advantage is again like the last only at the lowest power setting. The 1x-4x now has the multi-coat-4 that used to be on the last generation Var-XIIIs and the new 1.5x-5x have the newest available coating. When holding them up at Sportman's Warehouse inside the building I could only tell a slight difference between the two scopes with the 1.5x-5x being slightly clearer and brighter. They both have the same exit pupil so 4x is the most you could use in low light with a 20mm scope tube. I think mshaffer hit it on the head when he said is the 1.5x-5x worth the extra $100.......I still don't know.

Brad

What about construction. Are they both single piece tubes or is the VXII a two piece screwed together. I'd pay an extra $100 for a solid single piece scope over something that was screwed together and "might" come apart.

I don't know one way or the other with Leupold and I don't know how to find out for sure.

Unless you are in to all the various features then the VX-II would be a great fit. The new VX-II scopes are optically identical to the old Vari-X III scopes so you are in the lower 90’s for overall light transmission. The only thing you will really gain by going to the VX-III would be the finger click adjustments, range estimation feature, and light transmission in the mid 90’s.
This is a reply from a source at Leupold. I've made my decision on the VX2. Hope that this is of some help to you 7mmfan.

I always go for the better glass if low-light shooting is part of the problem.

I don't know exactly what shooting you expect. I have used the older VariX III 1.5-5X in Africa, and I replaced it with a VXIII 1.75-6X last year. You usually have more than enough light for Cape buff though.

jim

I had the VariXIII 1.5-5X on a Marlin 1895 set up for Alaska. Great scope but one problem, though I had trained myself to always set the magification to the lowest power for close in bear I found the scope set to the highest power. After that I swapped the scope for the fix 2.5x Leupold. No fault of the scope, I just decided the KISS method when it came to scopes on dangerous game or bear protection rifles. I thought I'd throw that out there for another option on scopes.

It has been a while since I had the older scope but I presently have a VXIII 1.5x5 on a .375 H&H. It has a German #4 reticle and is really a super scope. It is extremely clear with very precise adjustments - a perfect scope for a heavy rifle.

The VXIII 1.5x5 would be the way to go. I think the better eye relief would be better that an extra 9' FOV.

JD338

Had the old 1-4x on a rifle years ago. Sold the rifle, and really miss the scope. It was GREAT! The 1.5-5x is also outstanding. I like the new adjustments on the VX III's, but either scope is good.

As stated above though, my favorite "up close and personal" Leupold is the fixed 2.5x compact. Wonderful little scope for big game at close - mid range. It weighs almost nothing and works out great on my .45-70 Marlin. I think it would be right at home on most any dangerous game rifle.

376310.jpg

308051.jpg

Regards, Guy

The VXIII 1.5x5

it is on my 416 wby mag. Perfect scope

Myself, I would prefer the 1-4x for dangerous game, for 1 reason. Snap shooting can be done faster with both eyes open on the lowest power(or no power if you will). If I would get jumped by an animal that wants to kick my butt, I want to be able to pull up on him and not worry about trying to find him in the scope. Although, you certainly can shoot with both eyes open on higher powers, it just takes a little longer for target acquisition, or so I have experienced.

I have the VariX3(not the new VXIII) 1.5-5 on both my 375H&H and my 416Rigby, I chose them because they have the reputation for standing up to heavy recoil. Of course, my hardest kicker(a markV deluxe in 378wby) also has a Leupold(VariX3 2-8 power)almost 200 rounds through the 378 and no ill effects to the scope-more than can be said for the shooter! :shock:

My 378 Mag tore up my 3.5-10x40mm Leupy! They had to replace the whole erector system! :shock:

Pop,
I am curious, how many rounds did you fire on that 378 before your scope went south on you?
My 378 is okay with the brake to shoot, but without it, ouch!
I would like to start loading for it, but I have a bunch of old factory ammo still to go though. At least I will have a lifetime supply of once fired brass!!

I have the VxIII 1.5-5 on my 6lb 375 H&H. It has been a very good scope and I would heartily recomend it to anyone. I think that they would both probably do a fine job but I know the VxIII will handle extreme recoil.

Holy cow, a 6 pound 375?! :shock:
I would imagine that would kick some!
Would be nice to carry up the mountains, though.
I have the VXIII 1,5-5 on my 375 as well, I think the leupold's are hard to beat when it comes to standing up to heavy recoil. although I hear that the burris is plenty tough, as well

I have a VXIII in 1.5x5 on my Rem 600 in 350 Mag, with Warne QR Rings and bases perfect scope for this rifle!