Lever actions:.......BLR vs Marlin

Big Squeeze

Handloader
May 29, 2007
For some further fun and some more variety, other than the bolt action, I will be seeking out a lever action rifle.

I have never owned a lever rifle. I been comparing and handling the BLR pistol grip (takedown) chambered in the 450 Marlin and the Marlin chambered in the 45-70 in different lengths.

What I`m looking to find out is;

Which action and rifle is going to offer the best OVERALL dependability and strength? I did read somewhere on another site that Marlin had some firing pin problems. Any problems with your BLR`s?
The BLR seems to have the advantage here with a strong bolt
action design which is operated by a lever, which seems to be
smoother than the Marlin.

Which in your opinion is better? The Marlin`s tubular loading or the BLR`s detachable box loading? Can use the pointed spitzers in the BLR.

450 Marlin vs 45-70?.....Even though the factory ammo choices for the 45-70 is more abundant, 450 Marlin components are readily available for the reloader, as I will be reloading.

The BLR offers the optional scout scope set-up on the barrel.

According to Browning the BLR offers the take-down version for easier storage without losing zero, because the scout scope is mounted to the seperating barrel which includes the chamber.........No eye relief issues due to recoil with a scout scope.

In comparing the shorter 37" Marlin Guide gun with the 3" longer 40" BLR, I find little to no difference in the overall ease of handiness, shouldering speed or carry ability. Both are listed with the same weight of 7 lbs....I do however find the pistol grip to be MORE comfortable, wrist friendly and more natural than the straight grip!

Barrel quality differences? Your thoughts?

If possible, setting personal styling and caliber preferences aside, (leave that to me); which rifle would you go with, for overall action strength, long term dependability and which one of the two, in your opinion, would offer more and/or better advantages?

OK you lever hounds and afficionados! Here ya go!

Well heck, we've had a Browning BLR floating around for 25 years or so, and the past seven or eight years I've had a .45/70 Marlin too. The Browning was made in Belgium, is chambered for .308 Win, and has proven to be a very good, solid, dependable rifle over the years. I've had two different Marlin .45/70's, the 18.5" Guide Gun and now the standard 22" 1895.

IMG_0147.jpg

BLR-1.jpg

I find that both the Browning and the Marlin are good rifles. Well built, reliable and reasonably accurate. The Browning, as is typical for that make, has a bit nicer fit and finish. For some reason I like the "feel" of the Marlin better. Can't really put my finger on why though. I do like the more subdued finish on the black walnut Marlin stock.

Re the "scout scope" mount - Ashley Outdoors makes a nice one for the Marlin. It was even listed on Marlin's web site. Might still be, haven't checked in a while.

Re the .450 vs .45/70 - beats me - I have a .45/70, but if the rifle had only been avail in .450 Marlin, I'd have bought it. Essentially what one can do, so can the other. I've likely been of no help at all, I like 'em both. Rifles and cartridges. :grin:

Good luck with your decision! Guy

I definately prefer the Marlin over the Browning. The action on the marlin is a snap to tear apart and put back together. Real strong too! If you prefer the longer barrel, you can get the Marlin cowboy with a 26" tube on it. I worked on a BLR that had a firing pin problem, and believe me, they are a pain to reassemble. I have never had a Marlin that was not an excellent shooter. Being as to the fact that you plan on reloading, the Marlin will do more than you are probably willing to. Recoil will rattle your teeth if you load it to it's full potential. It will debone a bear with full power loads.

I have had 3 BLR's and every flavor in the Marlin save the 308 ME. Looks /caliber/and fit will decide. Both are awesome!!

BUT...the BLR will take pointies as opposed to the Marlin...although the Leverevolutions do rock!

REDGREEN":3xiwecyl said:
I definately prefer the Marlin over the Browning. The action on the marlin is a snap to tear apart and put back together. Real strong too! If you prefer the longer barrel, you can get the Marlin cowboy with a 26" tube on it. I worked on a BLR that had a firing pin problem, and believe me, they are a pain to reassemble. I have never had a Marlin that was not an excellent shooter. Being as to the fact that you plan on reloading, the Marlin will do more than you are probably willing to. Recoil will rattle your teeth if you load it to it's full potential. It will debone a bear with full power loads.
...........Thanks for your input......However should a problem occur with either one I choose, I don`t plan on working on it myself. A good smith will.

If I do pick a Marlin, the top choice as of now is the 22" bbl 1895 in the 45-70. The 18" Guide Gun doesn`t have the far more comfortable pistol grip!! And if I choose to later, I can always have the barrel cut down to 18.5" and have the same Guide Gun but WITH a pistol grip.

Dang I'm hoping to slug a bear or an elk or something with my lever gun this year! It's been a few years since I took a shot at game with it. Sure cleaned up the mulie I shot in fine fashion though.

I wonder if 405 grains of bullet was "enough gun" for a mulie??? :grin:

Setting aside the case for Marlin winning in the depts. of classic, style, and 45-70 nostalgia, I chose instead, the BLR (detachable), with a pistol grip, 20" barrel, chambered in the 450 Marlin.

I realize that I am probably going down minority lane here, but aside from the above reasons to own a Marlin, when I carefully took everything else into consideration, I chose the BLR......Here`s why.

The bolt action of the BLR is without question, definetly smoother and some may argue even stronger than that of the Marlin. The BLR`s lever throw has less travel as well.

Because of its detachable box loading, the BLR can use pointed spitzers, the better BC`s, whereas the Marlin cannot (only the lever revolution ammo). Therefore, the BLR has better long range potential and flatter trajectory capabilties.

With an extra detachable box handy, loaded and ready to go, the BLR is much faster to reload, just in case of any emergency.

For the reloader, the 450 uses all the same bullets as the 45-70, but the BLR allows for better reloading versatility because the additional pointed spitzers which can be used.

The takedown version offers better storage and much easier access for cleaning (bolt face and chamber), barrel cleaning from the breach, without cleaning from the muzzle as with the Marlin.

The BLR takedown offers the scout scope option (my preference). Because the barrel, chamber and scope seperate as one piece, there is no loss of zero.

In comparing both, in the depts. of handling, shouldering speed, pointing speed, etc., the 40" BLR handles just as well as the 37" Guide gun.
Both weigh in at the same 7 lbs.

The BLR`s pistol grip is more comfortable and wrist friendly than the straight grip. Why Marlin does not offer the Guide gun with a pistol grip is disappointing.

The factory recoil pad on the Marlin is much harder and would need to be changed, unless one were to use a slip on Limbsaver.

In my possession now, is a new 2.5x8 EER UCC Nikon Monarch, that will have a new home mounted on my new BLR 450 Marlin "thumper" coming soon.

Hmmm... Good points, except - I clean my Marlin from the breech. It takes about a half a heartbeat to remove the bolt for that chore... :grin:

Change the recoil pad? Well, I haven't yet. And yeah, I shoot some pretty stout loads... Must admit though, that I've considered a bigger softer recoil pad, just haven't gotten around to it yet. I think it's been seven years, maybe eight, since I purchased my first Marlin. The factory recoil pad hasn't been a problem.

A fellow could always lop off a few inches from the standard 22" 1895 Marlin barrel, and have a pistol-gripped "Guide Gun" if he wanted...

Spitzers? I don't need no stinkin' pointy bullets in my lever gun!

:grin: I want a flat-nosed hammer of a bullet from the .45/70 Marlin. :grin:

Regards, Guy

Also, the only benefit I can see in going with a 450 is for people who can't handle the recoil of the 45-70, because there is nothing to gain by going smaller.

I like them both. They are great guns with their own great points.

Guy Miner":35xyw0it said:
Hmmm... Good points, except - I clean my Marlin from the breech. It takes about a half a heartbeat to remove the bolt for that chore... :grin:

Change the recoil pad? Well, I haven't yet. And yeah, I shoot some pretty stout loads... Must admit though, that I've considered a bigger softer recoil pad, just haven't gotten around to it yet. I think it's been seven years, maybe eight, since I purchased my first Marlin. The factory recoil pad hasn't been a problem.

A fellow could always lop off a few inches from the standard 22" 1895 Marlin barrel, and have a pistol-gripped "Guide Gun" if he wanted...

Spitzers? I don't need no stinkin' pointy bullets in my lever gun!

:grin: I want a flat-nosed hammer of a bullet from the .45/70 Marlin. :grin:

Regards, Guy
......................Only 1/2 a heartbeat for you to remove the bolt? You must have a VERY slow heart there Guy! :lol: ..........I`m sure that doesn`t take too long, but I`m not interested in removing anything............I can`t say anything about the older Marlin recoil pads, but the newer ones are harder than what I would like compared to the softer BLR pads..........Yep! I thought about getting the 22"er with the pistol grip and then just cutting it down to make a guide gun!............You just like those flat nosed hammers uh? Hey! I can shoot those too!...........Well! I do suppose that all those pointeees from Barnes are just non hammerin spitballs!........ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .....

POP":3a1i51o4 said:
Big Squeeze":3a1i51o4 said:
POP":3a1i51o4 said:
...................POP.............Is there a reason why there are no sling swivel studs on the straight grip BLR`s??....The pistol grips have the studs!!...You can`t put a sling on your BLR...Why doesn`t Browning put swivel studs on the straight grip BLR?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Uncle-Mikes-Brownin ... 18Q2el1247
..................Gonna order some for your BLR?

Back