Little Sweetheart followed me home!

DeerTracker

Handloader
Nov 19, 2010
I originally ordered a Winchester 70 Featherweight 270 Winchester from the store I work. That was about a month and a half ago. Come to find out, I called Winchester since it had not come in and they said they wouldnt have one available to send me for another 6 months! As much as I liked the rifle, I cancelled the order. Some day Ill have one. But we are getting all of our new stock of rifles in at work and a certain little rifle came in. Was love at first sight. Brought this home with me last night.
Model77mm-08.jpg

Model72.jpg

Its the new Remington Model 7 synthetic that they just started making again. Chambered for 7mm-08. This is my first 7mm-08 and Im hoping it will shoot good! Weighs about 6lbs as is now. Still trying to decide what scope to put on it. I ordered a Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40CDS and was going to put it on the 270 that I had ordered. Might put it on this rifle or see if I can trade it in on a 2.5-8 Leupold. I cant wait to go and put a few rounds through her! Plan on shooting 120gr Ballistic Tips, 120gr TSX/TTSX, or 140 Btips/Accubonds.

Not bad!.

3100 fps with the 120 BT with RL 19!

You will never miss the 270 Win ballistically speaking.

Nice!!!!!!!! I have both of those scopes you will be happy with either :grin: :grin: :grin:

Very nice. I like it!

On a smaller rifle like this one, I'd go with that 2.5-8x in a heartbeat. It may well be the best general purpose hunting scope I've ever used.

Regards, Guy

Or if you don't mind fixed power scopes, a Leupy 4x33 or 6x36.

I see that one of the chamberings they are offering that gun in is a .260... I think I'm probably going to have one fairly soon.

Great cartridge and a classic rifle. Trust it will be a shooter for you.

Thanks guys! If it had been a 260 I would have jumped on it even quicker. But this one will work out awesome too. My little sister shoots a Marlin XS7Y 7mm-08 and has been shooting factory ammo. She didnt really like the rifle at first so my dad didnt buy all the components to reload for it. Now Ill be able to work up a load for the both of us. Ive got alot of bigger and badder rifles/cartridges but none of them weigh less than 8-9lbs and none are as sweet as this rifle will be to pack around.

I bought my wife a Model 7 Youth in .260 several years ago. It's a sweet shooting rifle and 120 Ballistic Tips have killed several deer for her in the time since.

Ron

You'll love the 7-08. As JD said, its not very far off from the 270 win. Mine likes Ramshot Big Game.

You won't go wrong with a 7-08 in the safe.

Most of them appear to be very easy to load for and not finicky at all - My shoots about what ever I put down the tube under an inch.
Viht N-140 & 140gr B-tips exceptionally well...... :grin:

Definately let us know how it shoots.

I have been eyeing those only thing I was surprised to see was no 22.250 guess I will get a 223

Thanks guys! Im almost tempted to go out and shoot a couple rounds through it without a scope just to see what its like!

Nice Rifle! I own a [nearly thirty year old] Model 7 in 7mm-08. I re-stocked mine in tupperware and bedded the action. I load 120 grain BTips for it using 42.0 grains of IMR 4064 and CCI BR2 primers. It shoots great; little recoil and extremely effective on deer. I've never used a second shot on a deer with this little popper. And as a target shooter it's shoots less than 3/4 inch all day. It's my favorite rifle to shoot and hunt with. Although I had a few "challenges" with mine out of the box; don't get discouraged. This combo has great accuracy and hunting potential. With a patient gunsmith and persistence we took a 4" rifle [using factory ammo] and made it shoot 1.5", then with some handloading moved the groups down to less than 3/4". Good choice, good shooting, and good luck.

Nice gun! You will be happy with it. My first gun was a model 7 in 7mm-08. I load 140gr. Sierra Gamekings pushed by 36gr of IMR 3031. It's not the fastest load but shoots quarters at 100yards and puts a big hole in whitetails.

I picked one up exactly like it a couple of years ago, except it has sights. 18 1/2 barrel on mine and it shoots the 140 Accubonds or BTs extremely well. Loaded some youth loads for the kids with it that print exactly on at 100 yards with my 200 yard zero for the full loads. If I ever draw a Mountain goat tag that will be the gun that goes with me.

Very nice! I've been looking at this exact rig for my two boys, as their first rifle. Can't wait to hear your range report. How's their new stock?

I really like the feel of the new stock. Seems decently stiff to me. The inside of the stock looks like the SPS stocks though. I think it will work just fine

Back