load suggestions

Canuck

Beginner
Nov 26, 2006
What's a good starting point for the Accudond 180 grain in the
300 wsm?
And also for the AccuBond 165 grain. Not sure which one I'm
going to go with yet.

P.S. By starting point I mean. What powder and what amount ?

I have a couple of good loads for the Accubonds in the 300 WSM, at least they worked well in my Remington model 700XCR. These are maximum loads so I would start three grains or so lighter and work up.

With the 180 grain my rifle shoot best with 68 grains of IMR 4831. This gave good groups and a velocity of about 2970 fps. This is a maximum load and the powder is quite compressed.

For the 165 AccuBond I settled on a load of 67 grains of H 4350 for a velocity of 3170 fps. Since H 4350 is a shorter cut powder and the bullet is lighter, this load is not as compressed.

Again, start lower and work up.

Well I've decided to go with the 150 grain AccuBond. What's
a good powder choice for this lite bullet in the 300 wsm?

Thanks again Savage. But I purchased the Nosler reloading
book a few days ago just after my first post. But theres so
many powders to choose from that I was wondering if one
in particular performed better than the others. For the 150 gr.
AccuBond that is.

The dean of handloading and hunting with magnum cartridges was the late Bob Hagel. He is famous for the statement that "Each rifle is an individual".

So I suggest that you start development with a powder that you have now that might work. As you may know there are many online sources of data including the powder mfgs. Others are the reloaders nest and shortmags.org

Always make sure everything is tight on the rifle before shooting it. Over and over again I have found a load and then something else is wrong.

Back