Loading Hodgdon 4831SC & Want to Load H-4831

larry82052

Beginner
Oct 6, 2024
i have a client that loads 243AI with an 87 gr V-Max bullet with Win Primers, & 50.8 grs of 4831SC and he never loads anything hot, matter fact the Velocity on this in his rifle is only 3,432 Velocity and primers are very rounded on edges and we decided to shoot it in my Savage Custom 243AI and the 2 nd shot killed a Prairiedog at 575 yards the 2 nd shot and then killed a Huge Skunk at 400 yrds!

The OAL is 2.782 and it shoots a 1/2 inch group at 100 with my rifle and iwe agreed i can tweak the load and get 1/4 inch, Question is i have an 8 lb keg of Hodgdon 4931 reg and want to repeat this same load but with CAUTION naturally!

What are your suggestions? I am 72 and handloaded all my life and i Am very safe as always and measure with my RCBS Chargemaster 1500 and so i get exact loads! Thanks fellows! Larry Gene

Attachments

• IMG_2757.png
    IMG_2757.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 1
Drop a few grains, and start back up to your desired velocity.
There may be lot to lot variation, usually is minimal but you won’t know until you try.
I’d agree with Phil. Drop a couple grains and work back to desired speed. I’m guessing you’ll likely end up in nearly the same spot give or take a grain.

Drop a few grains, and start back up to your desired velocity.
There may be lot to lot variation, usually is minimal but you won’t know until you try.
Thanks Phil, yeah i thought maybe a couple full grains and work back up, sound good? Larry Gene

I’d agree with Phil. Drop a couple grains and work back to desired speed. I’m guessing you’ll likely end up in nearly the same spot give or take a grain.
Thanks a Bunch! I appreciate your response!! Larry Gene

H4831 and H4831SC are the same powder. The SC refers to Short Cut for more uniform powder flow through a powder measure.
As suggested, drop down a couple grains and work up.
Welcome to the forum!

JD338

H4831 and H4831SC are the same powder. The SC refers to Short Cut for more uniform powder flow through a powder measure.
As suggested, drop down a couple grains and work up.
Welcome to the forum!

JD338
Sure will, what a great load and powder!! Larry Gene

Back