LOADING MANUAL

kevin

Beginner
Jan 7, 2005
Which loading manual available today has the most amount of data available for the 300 Remington Ultra Mag?

Well, my only "new" loading manual is the Nosler No.5, and it lists 6 different powders for all the .30 caliber Nosler Bullets. (even the 125 gr Ballistic Tip, one wonders why?) Not sure what the others offer, and all my older manuals are too old for the Rem. 300 Ultra.

I`m not sure which has the most but this one has quite a lot.

http://www.hodgdon.com/data/rifle/300rem.php

Look around the web site home page. Hodgdon now owns IMR powders and lists data for them also.
If you have a specific bullet in mind you want to load I`d look at that manufactures manual for data. (Nosler, Speer, ect) Theirs is likely the best for their product, although they may not list the most or all suitable powders for each bullet wgt.

If your going to reload, don't just use one reloading book. I recommend getting at least 4 reloading books---Nosler-Sierra--Hodgdon--Hornady--Speer--etc -plus tie your computer to as many reloading websites as you can find. There are variations in all of the test data for each source. Sometimes you find for your particular rifle that one source is too hot, while others might seem a bit cold. By taking an average of several sources you'll find a better starting point. One of the nice things about writing to various forums is that you can compare your load to the loads of others by just asking--just remember every gun shots differently and you should always start lower than maximum.

I was in Sportsman's Warehouse today, and looked at the current loading manuals. Both the current Sierra and Hornady listed more available powders for the .300 Remington Ultra Mag than the Nosler, although I believe they only listed bullets from 150 gr. and up. Good advice to refer to more than 1 loading source. Of course, it is fun to have all of them. I used to have the current Speer, Hornady, Nosler, Sierra, Accurate, and Lyman all on my bench at the same time. But I promised my wife I wouldn't get carried away this time when I started shooting, reloading and hunting again... I probably should pick up at least one more current manual to go with my Nosler No. 5, so maybe I can sneak the latest Sierra by her. It has lots of data for my current calibers as well as the other one I may pick up later...

Back