300 Win Mag / H1000 / 200 Accubonds test

sounds like you found a potential problem . keep us in the loop on how things go , I'm interested in the outcome .
Jim, I still had one thing left to do , it was to measure the loaded rounds on the Lapua and Norma cases. I was surprised by what I have seen. This should be the problem. Definitely going back to Norma for the next test, and if it works out, then I need to turn those necks down on the Lapua to be able to safely use it. The fired neck diameter is .339" and that leaves .001" clearance on the loaded Lapua round, compared to .004" on the Norma.

Attachments

• 300d.jpg
    300d.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 300c.jpg
    300c.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
No pressure at all, primers don't look too flat, no ejector marks either, just the speed is quite fast which made me stop. CCIBR2 is standard primers, will that be enough to light all that slow powder? I have some Fed 215's and WLRM primers as well.
By the way, its once fired Lapua brass.
I have used Fed 210M's in my 7mm Dakota without problems for years, when when hunting in the winter time

The case necks typically spring back several thou upon firing so your chamber is probably around .340+". Sammi is .340 BTW. I would definitely say your clearance is too tight.

That last load where you stopped shooting is treading very closely on the heels of the 300Rum. If your chrono is correct I can’t imagine you are within the normal pressure limits. I have seen crazy loads shot in a 257 Weatherby where there was no bolt lift issues or the like but the pressure was well over maximum saami specs. H1000 is a great powder but I don’t know that it is almost 3,100fps good in a 300wm.

I might have missed it above, what length barrel are you using and was the load accurate on paper?

I have messed with hundreds of customs barrel and every once in a while you'll get a barrel that defies all logic. I have seen several run 150-200fps faster than they should with normal pressure. In this case it was a pressure issue though.

That last load where you stopped shooting is treading very closely on the heels of the 300Rum. If your chrono is correct I can’t imagine you are within the normal pressure limits. I have seen crazy loads shot in a 257 Weatherby where there was no bolt lift issues or the like but the pressure was well over maximum saami specs. H1000 is a great powder but I don’t know that it is almost 3,100fps good in a 300wm.

I might have missed it above, what length barrel are you using and was the load accurate on paper?
It's a 26 inch Bartlein, no the load was not accurate, it was about 1.25 - 1.5 inch groups and the ES was so bad. I knew the rifle could do much better. I agree that the speed was off the charts, the same thing happened last year during a test with the 200 ELD-X before I bagged two cow nilgai, the 200 ELD_X approached over 3120 fps as well with RL26, still had some more rounds to test and quit shooting, and went back down on charges. I have not used the rifle since then after the nilgai hunt last year, in November I sent the rifle off to fix feeding issues and add a saddle to the stock, just got it back last month.
I scrolled back and found the old post for a review.

Back