local gun shop closing

jimbires

Handloader
Aug 16, 2011
Pennsylvania guys , Bob's army & navy is closing . I'll miss this store . it had a little bit of everything . aisles so tight it was hard to get through when the store was busy .

Pennsylvania guys , Bob's army & navy is closing . I'll miss this store . it had a little bit of everything . aisles so tight it was hard to get through when the store was busy .

Always hate to see old friends closing. These older stores are friends to be sure, but it is the "old" part that dictates whether they will continue or not. Kinda' like some of us posting here.:(

I worked in a store when I was a kid called, Bob’s Bargain Barn.

It was the military surplus, camping, and fishing store that the dreams of a kid were made. Sadly they too have disappeared.

Vince

Jim, I have seen a lot them disappear . There is a shop in Flagstaff Az that has been there since ( from memory ) 1932 -- Ruffs . The first sporting goods store I remember. In 2004, it was bought by someone outside the family that started it and I thought the worse. But it is still there
Always hate to see old friends closing. These older stores are friends to be sure, but it is the "old" part that dictates whether they will continue or not. Kinda' like some of us posting here.:(
Bingo ! Dr Mike is spot on, unfortunately.

Someone ask me recently what I would like to do over, if I could and I said "all of it";)

Jim, I have seen a lot them disappear . There is a shop in Flagstaff Az that has been there since ( from memory ) 1932 -- Ruffs . The first sporting goods store I remember. In 2004, it was bought by someone outside the family that started it and I thought the worse. But it is still there

Bingo ! Dr Mike is spot on, unfortunately.

Someone ask me recently what I would like to do over, if I could and I said "all of it";)
I’ve been to Ruff’s back when it was a liquor store and gun shop combined. Back then it was a great store.

Since the change of ownership, after a couple dealings with them, I take my business elsewhere.

Vince

I’ve been to Ruff’s back when it was a liquor store and gun shop combined. Back then it was a great store.

Since the change of ownership, after a couple dealings with them, I take my business elsewhere.

Vince
I understand and agree with you, however on the other side of the coin, they must be doing something right as they have stayed in business for 18 years after deciding not to renew the liquor license. I am sure they knew many people who visited the store would no longer do so when they discontinued selling liquor.

Personally, it was not the discontinuation of liquor in the store that turned me away, it was the "cleaning up" of the store. When they did that it lost the old time / home town "feel", at least it did for me. However; I am sure they were looking forward, not backwards ( customer wise ) when they made that decision.

I also think they have owned the store in a different political climate than the owners of yesteryear and sometimes ( at least for me ) I tend to blame the store for not letting me buy something without all the hassle, when in actually they are just following the law. Kind of like the first time I was in the store ( approx 1939/1940 ) we has a rifle visible in the rear truck window, we didn't lock the truck when we went int the store, we didn't even take the keys out of the truck --different times, better times--for me anyway.

Another example of me "getting it wrong" was when Chanel bought Holland and Holland in I think it was 1989. Everything was headed in a different direction with lighter, lighter, lighter as well as those ugly non wood stocks ;) just joking a little, but I did think they would break up the company and possibly sell the valuable property the company owned. But I was wrong, they just added engraved cuff links to go with the rifle. We will see what Berreta does with this old company now that they own it. I wish them well.

Time and change. I try to remember that time waits on no man ( or woman ) and that the only thing that doesn't change, is change itself. However, I dont always succeed.:( I have also rambled on---- and away----- from Jim's original post. My apologizes Jim

The only constant is change.
It doesn’t mean I have to like it though.

Vince

There was an old guy in Juneau AK that had a gun shop for at least 35 years. His prices were high, the place was filthy, he had significant issues with help and also various BATF problems. It would be easy to say he was his own worst enemy. He is a nice old guy but a little creepy. He always found way to have a good ammo and reloading supply. Even during the last crisis, he had stuff. I think he must have had some really good connections with a very good supplier. He could get stuff when no one else could.

About the time he lost his FFL for God knows how many violations, he went to straight ammo and reloading sales. No guns. Then the big Sportsman’s Warehouse pulled into town and had isles of ammo and reloading supply at lower 48 prices. Well needless to say, that was the final nail in the coffin. Today for all intents and purposes, it’s Sportsman’s, and they have no powder, no primers, a handful of bullets and brass. But they do have a great supply of bass fishing equipment!

I’ve often wondered if old Ray would have done better this time around. We’ll never know. Last I was over there his building houses a bike repair shop.

Darn shame Jim, always hate to see that. Can't be replaced with a big box store, just isn't the same.

GB, some of those old time shops are the best thing around. Don't advertise, not on facebook, etc, and have stuff nobody else has. Maybe that's why they have it, but they are gems when you find them, and it sustains them through the rough times because they have stuff to sell. 1 in particular has saved my butt on the primer front and has earned a lifetime customer.

it is a shame to see them close . Bob sr started the store , handed it down to Bob jr . I have heard that Bob jr is wanting to retire , and none of the kids want to take over , so it's getting closed .

@Europe , don't ever feel bad about rambling on my threads , I enjoy the talk .

Back