Long but good day at the range.

muleman

Handloader
May 12, 2009
Had a long but productive day at the range. I've been staying away during our "heatwave". I detest 90*+ days, especially at the range. Today had a high of 78 so off to the range I went. I've been going through a lot of components and made some changes to my load development. I started loads with bonded bullets at .10 off the lands. I kept the cup & core bullets close to the lands. It worked out pretty well. I had six rifles working and found good working loads for most.
The 325WSM had been ignored the last few years. I had a good load with 200gr NABs and IMR4350 but I'd always wanted to try Sierras 220gr and RL17.....glad I did!

Not bad for 6.75lb rifle/light barrel - just might have to use it on Elk this year. :grin:
Next up was the 6-284 with 90gr NABs and 70gr BTs. I tried the NABs a while ago in this gun but I guess I never got far enough from the lands. I think I found a load to replace the 95gr Berger load. NABs for deer and BTs for coyotes.

Next up was the 6.5 Creedmoor and 129/142gr ABLRs. I hadn't been doing well with these so I went to .10 off the lands and it worked. I'm not sure which will be better for way out there. I'll have to run the ballistics and figure out the adjusted BCs.

I'd been having trouble with the 280AI/ABLRs lately so I went back to 160 NABs and 150gr BTs to see if I could get those to shoot. Did OK but not fabulous. This rifle may not be the long range tool I was hoping for.

The 150 BT load might need to be backed down and reworked back up it may still work. The ABLRs are still not working.
I also had the 7x57 out and it did yeoman duty -1.25" groups with the 120BT and 140 PTs. Being a RSI it only has a 18.5" barrel and a long throat but the Whelen sling looks good!
All in all a satisfying day.

Scott

Good day out!

3050+ from the 6.5 Creed with a 129 ABLR is quite a big game load. That's going to carry the mail a long way out and be easy on the shoulder too.

Between that and your 325, you've got most things this side of a cape buffalo rounded up.

Thanks for sharing those loads.

That must have been a very satisfying day out. Congratulations on our load development and some fine shooting.

The 325 WSM--it just puts a smile on the face of those who own one. It isn't sexy, just capable. I'm envious of your Creedmoor, Scott. Mine shoots well, but I haven't been able to find any of the 129 grain ABLR bullets. Eventually, I suppose. One day, I hope to lay hands on some of the Alliant RL26 (and RL23). It would appear that it is performing well for you. Great day at the range and some satisfying work on your part. Good post.

Great shooting Scott, looks like you have a bunch of great loads to choose from. I have to say we have had the heat wave up here too but today will be much cooler thankfully, when you work out in the heat the last thing I want to do is head out after work to go shooting or fishing for that matter.

Grouse River had the 129 gr ABLR in stock as of a couple of days ago if you really need them DrMike. I thought about getting some for my wife's 6.5x55 but will stay with the 120 gr Ballistic Tip/140 gr Partition combo instead.

Wow. Your 325 results with the 220 SGK look excellent Scott. I could see why your so happy with that one buddy.

Your 6.5 CM looks very good with both but the 142's look a touch better and the speed looks fairly wicked for that case.

I'd have to try seating that 160 AB just deeper. Man it looks so close to being a knot holer. Looks like a great day on the range.

I had trouble getting 140 AB's to shoot in my 280 until I backed it off to .050 off the lands. Unfortunately, I also changed powder at the same time to RL19 so either or both may have helped. I do think backing it off the lands helped with that bullet though. It didn't shoot well at all .010" off the lands with IMR 4350, and that gun has always done well with 4350. Good luck with it.

wildgene":zjduh6ts said:
...hmmm, those .325 WSM groups look familiar...

Gene,
You were the motivation for that load. The BC on that 220gr SP is .521. Shooting it at 2800FPS that bullet ends up carrying the mail a long way out there. My Kimbers (.308 & .325) both were adequate hunters but nothing to write home about. Then I played with some non standard bullets and both are tack drivers. The 308 pounds 125gr ABs and BTs into a .5" with several different powders and the 325 is singing with those Sierras.

Scott

The pictures are a bit small...I can't make out the details of your 280AI loads...

I've been seating everything at 3.34" with mine...so far it shoots everything into no more than .75"...have you tried seating them all at SAAMI lengths?

muleman":1uo4soau said:
wildgene":1uo4soau said:
...hmmm, those .325 WSM groups look familiar...

Gene,
You were the motivation for that load. The BC on that 220gr SP is .521. Shooting it at 2800FPS that bullet ends up carrying the mail a long way out there. My Kimbers (.308 & .325) both were adequate hunters but nothing to write home about. Then I played with some non standard bullets and both are tack drivers. The 308 pounds 125gr ABs and BTs into a .5" with several different powders and the 325 is singing with those Sierras.

Scott

...yeah, tough jackets, very good B.C. & S.D. compared to similar .338's, it brings the .325 WSM into a whole new class. Now if we could just get Scotty to buy a .325 WSM so Nosler would start making a high BC 215-225gr. 8mm hunting bullet... :roll: :lol: :mrgreen:

Ha! I'd love one buddy... It's probably a little ways off but it's one I'm always looking for.

I do like the looks of that 325 with the 220. Pretty powerful package.

Ridgerunner665":28c8fdgi said:
The pictures are a bit small...I can't make out the details of your 280AI loads...

I've been seating everything at 3.34" with mine...so far it shoots everything into no more than .75"...have you tried seating them all at SAAMI lengths?

Sorry about the picture size. I reformatted them so they'd fit better and went one size to small :oops:. Those 280AI loads are at 3.310; .10 off the lands. Next time out I plan on trying .08, .06 and .04 to see if I can suck those groups in a little tighter.

Scott

Scott that 6.5 is very interesting :wink:. I sure would not mind playing with one of those for awhile.
All in all it looks like you had a great day at the range!!
Thank you for the post.

Blessings,
Dan

Scott,
I have been playing with the ABLR in my 280 AI for a while and finally settled on a load. I worked with the 150 ABLR for over a year, even took a nice buck at 475 yards with them, but accuracy was never what the gun was capable of. I switched to the 168 and played around with them for a while. I finally settled on this load. I'm not sure what the 1880 reading on the Chrony was all about on the first shot, but I'm very confident that isn't not accurate.
280 AI 168 ABLR.jpg
One thing that I have noticed about the ABLR bullets is that they seem to be very sensitive to minute seating depth changes. Once I get something close to shooting around an inch I'll tweak them .005" at a time from there.

I think that load will work, Jake. (y) That is definitely in bragging territory.

jmad_81":1y1vvj5l said:
Scott,
I have been playing with the ABLR in my 280 AI for a while and finally settled on a load. I worked with the 150 ABLR for over a year, even took a nice buck at 475 yards with them, but accuracy was never what the gun was capable of. I switched to the 168 and played around with them for a while. I finally settled on this load. I'm not sure what the 1880 reading on the Chrony was all about on the first shot, but I'm very confident that isn't not accurate.

One thing that I have noticed about the ABLR bullets is that they seem to be very sensitive to minute seating depth changes. Once I get something close to shooting around an inch I'll tweak them .005" at a time from there.

Wow, Jake that is a great load! That's the goal I'm trying for .... it seems far away at times. Thanks for the tip.

Scott

Back