Long Range Coyote Shot

filmjunkie4ever

Handloader
May 4, 2011
My best friend Andy and I went to go do some shooting this morning @ the range with our 30-06's in prep for a maybe hog hunt tomorrow. Andy tells me he finally got his 338 Win Mag bloody. So i'm thinking, what the heck?

A while back I loaded him up some 275 grain Swift A-frames for it, with a middle of the road load of H4350 they are getting 2300 fps at the spout. He was driving around last weekend and saw a coyote harrassing a neighbors cattle, had them all worked up. Andy only had his 338 in the truck and though that if the coyote stopped he would try the 200 yard shot. When Andy stopped and got out of his truck, the coyote bolted through some sage brush to a clearing nearly 500 yards away. He thought about not wasting the bullet then remembered that you only live once...

He got him!

No pictures because Andy rarely has a camera when he pulls stumts like this but I guess the coyote just flew up into the air and did a couple of flips before landing in a lifeless heap. :twisted:

Now that is one I wish I wouldve been there for.

He was shooting his Weatherby Vanguard with a Burris 3x9x40 Ballistic Plex reticle and the above mentioned 275 grain load.

Call it BS if you want but Andy is not the type. He is as real as they come.

Thought you would enjoy...

No doubt its doable. He could have counted down until impact, but it would be a hoot to watch. I have no doubt that the dog did a few flips.

Yeah one thing he did expound upon was the Hang time. Said it made a whizzing sound on its long flight to 500 yards.

And yes, the flips...but hey, thats a big slug. He is like me though, I don't care what I got in the truck for gun size, I will shoot a coyote with it and never think twice. Whether its a 22 or a 12 gauge or somewhere in between.

Out of all the bullets I have used so far in my 338WM, the 275gr Speer Hot Cor is the most impressive bullet. It easily shoots MOA or better and with a good load of RL22, it will run 2650 at the chrono. It is a deadly combination of accuracy, power and trajectory. With the B&C reticle, it is a very easily doped load as well. I always figured if I got the chance to hunt a brown bear, those big 275's would get the call. They have a decent enough BC as well, so it isn't like shooting a brick, except in weight! The Sectional Density on them is unreal! Anyhow, great shot on your buddies part. Scotty

A .338" 275 gr bullet for coyotes you say? :grin: Makes me smile just thinking about it.

filmjunkie4ever

What a nice story, and with a perfect ending. :grin: Happiness is a dead coyote. :mrgreen:

Man, that is impressive. Congratulations to Andy.

JD338

He is better man than I, my farthest yote was 550 yards with a 257 bee and aim 2 feet above his back, one of my luckiest kills. My second would be at a moose at 500 yards with a 303 Brit leaving the barrel at 2300 fps and aim 3 feet above his back with a easy 40 inch tall target to hit at the end. I've missed more yotes with a gun that I care to mention, but made good with plenty of bow kills to make up for it. :wink: go figure :!:

Heck of a conversation:

"Say, I use a .243 Win. What's your coyote gun?"

".338 Win magnum with a 275 gr bullet. Kills 'em if it hits close."

Love it! :mrgreen:

I just don't feel that the 338 WM with a 275 gr. bullet is sufficient for animals as large as a 25-40 pound coytoe! I've heard that their hair is really course and tough, and can deflect even the toughest of bullets and largest of callibers! :mrgreen: I'm thinking something along the lines of a 416 Weatherby (Pop :p ) would be more reasonable.

Somebody, somewhere, has a 50 BMG (Big Mother Gun)......course there aint enough left for pictures..... :) CL

FOTIS":bi9mksm4 said:
He needs a bigger gun man :p :p :p :p

Yeah i keep telling him that but he holds on to his faithful old pea-flipper. :lol:

You are sounding more like Elmer Keith everyday...he would've approved of Andy's choice for coyote rifle! :twisted:

Desert Fox":3cj8kdso said:
It's fun shooting those coyote at long range. I won't pass if I see one even during a deer hunt.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11041

Rommel that is a BIG gun. I have never shot one but I bet it was akin to the time Dad shot a coyote at about 275 yards with the 8mm Rem Magnum and 220 grain SGK at about 2900 fps muzzle velocity. The dog did about two or three barrel rolls in the air until flopping to the ground with all of the grace of a sack of spuds, and dead as could be.

Congrats on that shot, thats impressive with any rifle.

YoteSmoker":1ez2zht9 said:
That takes trigger squeeze to a whole new meaning.

It is like burping and farting at the same time while trying to urinate! Total sensor overload. I do make sure I have a roll of TP, just in case though! Scotty

Back