Long range rifle help, Tikka CTR Scout or Savage LRP

irocbarry

Beginner
Sep 5, 2006
I want to pick up a long range rifle in the near future to shoot from 300-500 on a weekly basis, with shots out to 1000 on occasion. Good odds that I will end up hunting with it also on the yearly Antelope trip. I have been looking at the Tikka CTR Scout in 308 and the Savage LRP in 260. I hand load everything so ammo costs will be very similar.
This is what I have as pros and cons so far.

Tikka:
pros,
308 caliber=most options for ammo
very smooth action
compact (20" barrel), easier to hunt with
good trigger
cons,
short barrel (less velocity)
mediocre stock
not a lot of aftermarket

Savage:
pros,
great stock (HS precision)
Great trigger (target Accu-trigger)
26" barrel=more velocity
cons,
big and heavy for hunting
rough action

Street price between the two is very similar (savage msrp is higher but they seem to sell at the same level) so that isn't much of a factor.
I am leaning toward the Savage right now. The Tikka is a nice option since I hunt with a Tikka T3 lite already.

Would the 260 or 308 fit what I am looking to do better? The 260 will be faster and have better BC's, the 308 has more selection.

Anything other rifles I should look at in the sub $1000 level that will get me the results I want with few changes from factory?

I will be the first, I am not a Tikka fan they just don't fit me:( Savage has come a long ways in the last 10 years however I did get rid of mine because I wanted to hunt not weight lift :)
I think that I would still take a Savage over the Tikka but then again what do I know.

Blessings,
Dan

Same here. I respect the Tikka's alot, but just don't like them a whole lot. Seems like the Savage in a 260 would be sweet, plus, you will have less recoil with slick little high BC bullets. Scotty

I like either rifle. I've shot examples of both rifles, drawing the conclusion that they are excellent products for the rifleman. The .308 will have better bullet selection, but the .260 will have less recoil for extended sessions at the range. I'd be content with either for the job you have envisioned.

DrMike":238tkspj said:
I'd be content with either for the job you have envisioned.

This is the problem I have, I like aspects of both. I'll end up finding one of them locally and get that one probably.

Hi Irocbarry, I posted a little story yesterday about my cousin and his son Derek. I now know that Derek's new rifle is the Savage 110 in the 338 Lupua. I know that it is tricked up some and has a NF scope on top.
Derek advised me that he is getting .2 MOA out of it. I know that is better than what I could do but this kid really can shoot.
I guess with that kind of accuracy I would go Savage which I already stated but this just little more info to help make a decision.
Also I know that Tikka is a good product as they are made by Sako and they make quality products :)

Blessings,
Dan

well in a hunting situation, your better off with some extra weight when shooting longer ranges, my personal long range rifles weigh around 14# scoped and loaded. as good of an example as I can give you.
I have 2 large capacity 7mm rifles, both custom built with 9 twist lilja barrels twisted to accurised 700 actions, both shoot 7mm bullets over 3500 fps, both shoot under 1/2 moa at 100 yards, both have 6.5x20 loopy's on them. the one weighs in at 8.5 pounds, the other 14, with the heavier rifle I have taken quite a few deer from 750 to over 1300 yards, the 8.5 pound rifle maxes out at 700, the only difference is the weight, its shoots as well but being that light I just can't get the precision I need to be confidant at longer ranges.
RR

RR - nice way to sum it up. Weight is always a trade-off...

Re the .308 vs .260 decision - heck, they're both great. I have only been thinking about re-barreling my .308 precision rifle to a .260 for about ten years now. Something makes me keep it a .308, even when I'm ordering a new barrel... Guess I must like the .308, but the .260 will have less wind drift at longer ranges, making hits at longer range easier.

Flip a coin, and go shoot! :grin:

Re the rifle... I'd go with a Remington 700 - but you didn't offer that choice! :grin:

Owned a Tikka in 7mm Rem mag. Shoot good (not as good as my savage or nosler rifle) but I just could not warm up that that rifle. Sold it. Long range without spending a lot of money on a custom rifle, get a savage or a vanguard.

My vote would be with the Savage. I will say, Savage has been very consistant in the accuracy dept. for many years. And I haven't heard a lot off chatter saying otherwise, even since expanding their line. Last Savage I bought was a pre-accutrigger, and the entire line could barely fill one page. That wasn't all that long ago it seems, but it looks like the owner got tired of hearing,,,"oh, it's just a Savage". Now I see there's at least one other maker, that thinks the barrel nut system, lends itself to some positive aspects.
Yeah the action isn't as smooth as some, but it's strong, and likely one of the safest gas venting systems should a blowout occur. But evidently the action must be pretty true for the most part, that and production is paying attention to the barrel itself. Otherwise they wouldn't be a s consistently accurate out to the box, as some or more so, than the other touted mfg's.
As for the accutrigger, I haven't shot one other than the one on the son's .22lr. I have heard some say Savage needs to come up with a better. I had heard through the grapevine,,, the could be some very positive suprises comming. But now the way things are going for Savage, I think there will more aftermarket availability before too long,,,,, Now that they are breaking out of the "entry level" market.

Back