Looking for something vintage and slow

Polaris

Handloader
Dec 16, 2009
Help me spend my money... Had a lot of overtime this summer and I "need" an old-timey woods rifle for my new brushy swamp deer hunting land. Rifle would see use to 50 yards on deer, possibly black bear, maybe some occasional plinking, but definitely not volume shooting. Not a lever gun fan. Wondering what was out there that fits the bill in the pre-1930 era. Got a few ideas, but curious what the hive brain comes up with. Not looking for something super-collectable, just a well-worn deer gun inherited from somebody's grandpa to give a second life. Looking for heavy and slow, and I'm not afraid of eclectic calibers, even obsolete military metric sporters. I did look at a sported rolling block, but the 7x57 was a bit zippy for this niche. Now if it had been .43 Spanish or even .30-40... .35 rem in a model 8 or 81 keeps popping up, but haven't found one beat up enough to carry in the woods without fretting every snowflake and raindrop.

Maybe something along the lines of a 38-40 or 44-40 might fit the bill. My dad had a baby colt lightening chambered in a 38-40, pump action. Long story about the rifle but it sure was neat looking.

I see where Uberti is copying the 1885 High wall and is offering it in 45-70. That would be neat to hunt with and should be great in brushy country.

Or maybe an older 760 in 35 Remington or rechambered to 358 Win or 35 Whelen.

How about a .401 Winchester Self Loading in the Winchester 1910....

220 gr bullet at about 2000fps, give or take.

Reportedly you can make brass from 7.62x39 cases.

hodgeman":3piieacs said:
How about a .401 Winchester Self Loading in the Winchester 1910....

220 gr bullet at about 2000fps, give or take.

Reportedly you can make brass from 7.62x39 cases.

The .351s come up from time to time, but also command Winchester prices even when in horrendous condition. Not looking to join the Winchester cult. I think some of the others were better engineered and made at the time. Familiar with the offerings from Big Green of the period, wondering what else is out there that I may not have thought of.

There are Savage 1899's that come up on Gunbroker and GunsAmerica in .303 Savage. They're not all too expensive. Of course you have the .38-55, .32 Win Spcl, and the .444 Marlin.

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

Ah, I yet remembered another old warhorse, my all time favorite, just dripping with nostalgia. How about the 6.5x55 Scandinavian cartridge? There's still some really good Swedish Mausers available. The 1894 Artillery Carbine would be right up your alley.

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

I used to not like lever actions either. However, the 35 Remington cartridge has a LOT going for it. I bought my first one a few years ago, worked up a great handload for bear or even elk, and since then bought a couple more.

If you want an inexpensive truck gun or project gun, I have a couple of Marlin 336s I'd sell.

You could also go with a Savage 99 in .358 Win. It's amply accurate, and slow, and powerful. Or you could go with a Marlin 336 in .356 Win as well. The Marlins are more than accurate in the big .356.

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

Yep, Get an old Enfield.
Get one with the rear ghost ring sight that flips up to an aperture "lop sight".
Doesn't quite fit the "slow" you want.
But, think it would fit your wants and you be happy using one.

Another one I just thought of youv could try.....Savage 99 in a .300 Savage.

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

You could get a large ring Mauser and barrel it for the 45-70.
Or just get a flintlock muzzle loader in .72 and launch pumpkin balls. :roll: :lol:

Dunno about the 7x57 being too "zippy". It did make it's reputation with a 172 to175 gr. bullet at 2300 FPS. Seems to me a 175 gr. Hornady round nose or if you're lucky enough to find some 170 gr. Sierra round nose, they'd be just about perfect. My preference would be for the Sierra but Sierra was quite adamant about not making them anymore unless there was a sudden and very serious demand for them. :x That would be contemporary with the Krag which did what, 2200 FPS with a 220 gr. bullet? A neat Winchester M70 FWT would be a good pick, lightweight and fairly fast handling for one thing. Besides, it's cool looking rifle. (y)
Paul B.

PJGunner":2dcq2gaq said:
A neat Winchester M70 FWT would be a good pick, lightweight and fairly fast handling for one thing. Besides, it's cool looking rifle. (y)
Paul B.

Well said, Paul. Well said, indeed. (y)

yukon huntress":349pawee said:
Polaris":349pawee said:
. Not a lever gun fan.

Blasphemy!,

nothing fits your request, needs, itch, description of, like 30-30 lever action

or, drum roll please---a 348

Totally agree... a woods gun from 1890 to 1930 was almost invariably a lever gun of some sort. A smattering of semi-autos and the oddball pump gun but nothing was terribly successful.

Pre-war America was lever country and it didn't change until well after WWII in most spots.

If the OP can stomach a lever.... a '94 in .38-55 or a 71 in .348 is a classy, classy pick and meets the requirement!

hodgeman":2qc33oua said:
yukon huntress":2qc33oua said:
Polaris":2qc33oua said:
. Not a lever gun fan.

Blasphemy!,

nothing fits your request, needs, itch, description of, like 30-30 lever action

or, drum roll please---a 348

Totally agree... a woods gun from 1890 to 1930 was almost invariably a lever gun of some sort. A smattering of semi-autos and the oddball pump gun but nothing was terribly successful.

Pre-war America was lever country and it didn't change until well after WWII in most spots.

If the OP can stomach a lever.... a '94 in .38-55 or a 71 in .348 is a classy, classy pick and meets the requirement!

I agree with hodgeman--another vintage one with a bit of American history tied to it ( american president anyway ) is the 405 Win

Back