Looking for something vintage and slow

I wouldn't sit too long on finding one. The market on them is soft, especially if you just want a shooter. They are much cheaper with the "mum" scrubbed. Many of the "rare" wartime ones draw more money than the ones from the 20's and 30's which are better made. I would want to find one in person to give the bore a thorough inspection. That's a good rule with any caliber typically fired with corrosive ammo, especially one that served in tropical and maritime climes.

Polaris":1s9oi7vg said:
I wouldn't sit too long on finding one. The market on them is soft, especially if you just want a shooter. They are much cheaper with the "mum" scrubbed. Many of the "rare" wartime ones draw more money than the ones from the 20's and 30's which are better made. I would want to find one in person to give the bore a thorough inspection. That's a good rule with any caliber typically fired with corrosive ammo, especially one that served in tropical and maritime climes.

Funny thing is, there aren't a lot of MILSURP collectors down here in San Antonio for some reason.
I mostly see modern tactical here. I would have a heart attack if someone opened up a shop here that just had MILSURP!
I'd be in hog heaven! LOL
The first thing I check on a firearm is It's crown, then bore. If it isn't close to being shiny, I usually don't deal with them.

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

Very cool rifle Polaris. Very efficient cartridge and no slouch with modern powders at all. Can't wait to see how it shoots for you. Any idea what sorta bullet you wanna shoot from it? Lots of cool options but a long 156-160 might be ultra perfect for your scenario.

Since I recently became the owner of a Spanish M-43 in 8mm I was going to suggest a surplus Mauser.
You found a nice rifle at a great price.

SJB358":1jgdf4sa said:
The old 8mm Mauser is pretty danged cool as well.

The 8mm Mauser can be quite zippy if you find the right ammo, and or handload for it.
It's quite popular in Europe as a sporting round, and equals our .30-06.

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

SJB358":2atsxmoz said:
Very cool rifle Polaris. Very efficient cartridge and no slouch with modern powders at all. Can't wait to see how it shoots for you. Any idea what sorta bullet you wanna shoot from it? Lots of cool options but a long 156-160 might be ultra perfect for your scenario.

Well, my brass-donor ammo arrived, and a few shots in the backyard revealed some issues to work out. 156 gr PRVI with a rather flat pointed, soft tipped RN. Causing some feeding issues. Followed some online advice in an A.R. article and filed one more round. That one feeds flawlessly, so I think that problem is diagnosed. Probably going to try the very old stock Winchester 140 grain bullets I got in a trade awhile back. Maybe some Hornady 160 RN going forward.

Sights shoot extremely low, they are adjusted to max height, so I'll have to add a shorter front sight ramp (which I have if I can get it off the salvaged barrel section in my junk box). Was not even on an 8.5x11 sheet of paper at 25 yards. Put a cardboard box under the paper and found a group. Tight cluster, just shooting offhand to get over the weeds. No keyholes, nothing blew up, brass looks good. No gouges, scratches or seriously large measurements on fired cases. Extraction very smooth. It should shoot plenty good enough for my purposes once I get the bugs out.

Now I just need to track down a .35Rem shellholder and see if I can reload it with 6.5x55 dies or if I need to invest in the pricey RCBS set. I've reloaded .300 Sav with .308 dies (neck sizing only), so it should be a similar crossover.

Guy Miner":3r73gofz said:
"Vintage and slow." My wife refers to me in similar terms...
Guy why race thru everything when you can take your time and enjoy it. :roll: :lol: :mrgreen:

So, an update on the MS is in order. Disassembled the magazine (what a machinists wet dream ), and thoroughly degreased by boiling in simple green. Then washed with starting fluid and lightly oiled with penetrating oil. Lubricated feed ramp and bolt contact points with molybdenum based drill rod lube. It now rivals a krag for smoothness. Feeds everything I've thrown at it. Added a taller rear sight, and it's grouping Hornady 160s just slightly high into 1.5"at 50 yards from hasty sling offhand. I think I have my tight cover rifle worked out.

Oops, I see now you found a great rifle! I was going to say maybe consider a Remington 14 or 141 pump in .35 Remington. A number of them usually on GB. Sort of like a mini-870 shotgun with a twisted magazine. Maybe you've seen them. Magazine twist was to keep bullet tips off primers when firing. Pretty nice guns. Congratulations on you choice!
EE2

elkeater2":3h311jsi said:
Oops, I see now you found a great rifle! I was going to say maybe consider a Remington 14 or 141 pump in .35 Remington. A number of them usually on GB. Sort of like a mini-870 shotgun with a twisted magazine. Maybe you've seen them. Magazine twist was to keep bullet tips off primers when firing. Pretty nice guns. Congratulations on you choice!
EE2

Yeah, they are very cool. Was high on my list, but I stumbled on the Mannlicher first. Price was right and bore was good so I took a chance on it. Had a few bugs to work out, but she's running well now. Not sure what kind of wood they used on mine. It's definitely a cut down military stock. Still has the drilling for the cleaning rod and serialized steel butt plate. Not beech, looks a lot like the arctic birch on my Finnish mosin Nagant. Took a nice sheen with the wax wood polish I use.

Back